Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

The pedestrian (foot) bridge looks like it could have moving sidewalks, but I doubt that they would be put there, since they are supposed to be trying to save money whereever they can. :unsure:

The pedestrian (foot) bridge looks like it could have moving sidewalks, but I doubt that they would be put there, since they are supposed to be trying to save money whereever they can. :unsure:
I'm quite confident that that wasn't ever in the plan. The reason the station is so far offset from the bridge is so there's room for the tracks to diverge around the center platform after passing under the bridge. Otherwise they'd have had to rebuild the bridge, and it was already rebuilt like 15 years ago.

Yeah, at first, they were going to cancel the whole thing. Then they later decided that they would do the project with cost-saving measures put in place. :unsure:

Somebody could e-scooter or skateboard down that connecting overhead ramp fairly easily.

Hopefully, they'll have speed bumps there to try to discourage any thoughts of that from happening!!

The original proposals for Magoun station did involve rebuilding the Lowell St bridge to accommodate a full bus turnout.

Hopefully, they'll have speed bumps there to try to discourage any thoughts of that from happening!!

When I first saw your comment, I had to go back a page or two to see if you were talking about a road or the path. Since I realize it's a path, I completely disagree with you. All forms of non-motorized transportation should be welcome as long as the riders are respectful of others on the path.

When I first saw your comment, I had to go back a page or two to see if you were talking about a road or the path. Since I realize it's a path, I completely disagree with you. All forms of non-motorized transportation should be welcome as long as the riders are respectful of others on the path.

I was talking about the pedestrian bridge that will lead commuters to the station. :giggle:

When the community path was proposed I was unsure on it's usability and comfort- it will be loud! I am happy that there is now in it's VEd state more grade separation and opportunities for park expansions in places that were previously limited by larger stations. One of the new park expansions:

1FBCFE18-F9D0-4356-97A1-A7CE3A650313.jpeg
45E82DB6-0F12-4C96-9FCB-AD5F61E43C3A.jpeg
143F7BE5-B805-449D-8409-6D8F92860509.jpeg
88BDE8F1-F9D8-4F5F-A72B-74A2E7BBF5B3.jpeg
DA453F2B-4795-4E2C-A867-61449A5422BA.jpeg
3C11AC69-8041-4865-8083-3BC1140359D6.jpeg
70A1D708-04E9-4CAD-89AD-26105F7B2399.jpeg
F90E669C-FF81-4A8A-A59B-AD45BDE829B7.jpeg
E39941D5-069C-4CC2-93DA-5957F2C0C367.jpeg

With Javier's latest photos, I see new pavement on the Sycamore to School St stretch of the community path. By my reckoning, that was the last large section. Remaining bits are the downslope to McGrath, the short stretch between Sycamore and Central, and the parking lot from Central to Somerville Junction. Otherwise it is now all paved. Now we just wait 10 months.

The paved sections of the path look like a base coat. If you look closely, you can see the raised drainage structures.

Those are guardrails used on bridges. In case of a derailment, they in theory, will keep equipment in line.

Is it normal to put those in for routes that just go under bridges too? I feel like I haven't seen that much on other lines

Is it normal to put those in for routes that just go under bridges too? I feel like I haven't seen that much on other lines

Not that I've seen. Perhaps that location has particularly limited clearance, or the bridge pier is unusually vulnerable to a strike by a derailed train?

Back