Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Does the station have a pedal and park? Any pictures of it? Same with Lechmere

Yes, here’s the Union pedal and park.
CF47B9D1-0F8D-49C5-88C2-F769665C94C8.jpeg

Epic opening day!

Name your favorite Massachusetts politician and they were there. But one in particular got the most thanks from everyone else…give up? Capuano. Curtatone was a close second. Both very well deserved. It was great.

4A6037C0-949F-48BC-AEEE-9F38A688E296.jpeg
FC19887A-781A-417F-8BEE-51F0C5E9FDED.jpeg
75466A2A-A476-4028-A89C-93E72CBDC40F.jpeg
97FEB778-A0AD-4195-AB21-ABF156463C16.jpeg
BFE1CF10-31ED-4C32-B0DA-6BD78A66CCEB.jpeg
1293DEC6-B883-4133-81A3-3B07E3BC6CDA.jpeg

Also, zoom in to the 2nd pic with Gov Baker on the Lechmere platform. Is that Big Papi next to him?!!

Epic opening day!

Name your favorite Massachusetts politician and they were there. But one in particular got the most thanks from everyone else…give up? Capuano. Curtatone was a close second. Both very well deserved. It was great.

View attachment 22537View attachment 22538View attachment 22539View attachment 22540View attachment 22541View attachment 22542

Also, zoom in to the 2nd pic with Gov Baker on the Lechmere platform. Is that Big Papi next to him?!!

Doesn’t look like Papi. We’d probably all hear about it if it was him. Probably his security detail.

Just boarded and all I have to say is: FIX THE FARE CONTROL PROCESS, ASAP.

(I know it's the first day and people are adjusting)

There were 15 or so people who got on at the same time and everyone was sharing 2 ticket machines, which are what's used for fare validation. If you have don't have value on your card, need a charlie ticket, or need a pass, etc., you are holding up everyone who needs to do a quick fare validation. Also, a blind man was very worried about how to use it and needed a lot of help - how does that look? Don't engineers tell things like that to those approving budgets? The poor blind man slowed down the line (not his fault).

So at this point, they might as well buy 3 more ticket machines or just put in fare gates...I really wonder what the cost difference is there. They might only need gates at busy-enough stations anyway (Union, Lechmere).

The fix is AFC 2.0 and not something we'll see until 2023: see phase 4 on the MBTA Fare Transformation page. All of the news articles say that we'll be able to still just pay at the farebox onboard... which leaves me wondering whether the T will actually be validating fares at all or if this is just a "cover your ass" solution.

It did appear open at Allen St, however, the fence/gate might only be opened during construction hours for the work trucks.

I was surprised by the the Allen Street entrance too, but the signage and brand new sidewalk sure make it look permanent and intentional. I had only heard about an emergency exit onto Allen St. but I believe the emergency exit has a grade crossing (the path from the signed entrance below proceeds alongside the tracks to the entrance gate near Prospect Street - you know, where the faregate should be.)

allen-st-entrance.jpg

(I know it's the first day and people are adjusting)

There were 15 or so people who got on at the same time and everyone was sharing 2 ticket machines, which are what's used for fare validation. If you have don't have value on your card, need a charlie ticket, or need a pass, etc., you are holding up everyone who needs to do a quick fare validation. Also, a blind man was very worried about how to use it and needed a lot of help - how does that look? Don't engineers tell things like that to those approving budgets? The poor blind man slowed down the line (not his fault).

So at this point, they might as well buy 3 more ticket machines or just put in fare gates...I really wonder what the cost difference is there. They might only need gates at busy-enough stations anyway (Union, Lechmere).

The fare thing makes no sense.

You dont need the paper ticket. The fare enforcement people can look at your charlie card history.

All you need is a place to tap. They could set up 2 or 3 bus fare boxes and use those - theyve done this in the past at Fenway and Ashmont.

I had only heard about an emergency exit onto Allen St. but I believe the emergency exit has a grade crossing (the path from the signed entrance below proceeds alongside the tracks to the entrance gate near Prospect Street - you know, where the faregate should be.)

This makes sense, given that there are plans to provide a "The RIDE" dropoff area adjacent to the station plaza and residential tower loading dock. If we ever get a second entrance to the station, assuming it doesn't only allow entrance to the south, it'd be right around there as well.

You dont need the paper ticket. The fare enforcement people can look at your charlie card history.

All you need is a place to tap. They could set up 2 or 3 bus fare boxes and use those - theyve done this in the past at Fenway and Ashmont.

Those first-generation Charlie machines on the buses & trolleys are the PITS!! Coins can only be put in one at a time, slowing things down while there are long lines outside the buses & trollies, prompting the T to eliminate cash fare payments! They just take too damn long to let the passengers board in a timely fashion!! :mad:

Last edited:
Those first-generation Charlie machines are the PITS!! Coins can only be put in one at a time, slowing things down while there are long lines outside the buses & trollies, prompting the T to eliminate cash fare payments! They just take too damn long to let the passengers board in a timely fashion!! :mad:

Nothing to do with coins, it would just be a place to tap that isnt the same place where you do other transactions

What was wrong with the original validators they had from when Charlie first rolled out?

Back