Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

So...the T shouldn't spend money to make its trains as reliable as possible (given that it'll be a while before there are replacements for the T7s in any event, and it was even less clear how long they'd have to stay around when they started the rehab)...because some of them might get damaged when things that aren't supposed to happen...happen? I mean, yeah, if the T followed that logic there probably wouldn't be as many accidents, because the Green Line would have half the number of cars it does now. I wouldn't call that an improvement in service, though...

Not saying that they shouldn't, but those & the Type 8's are supposed to last until the Type 10's are delivered and in use. That's still sometime away. :(:(

Not saying that they shouldn't, but those & the Type 8's are supposed to last until the Type 10's are delivered and in use. That's still sometime away. :(:(

The point was that you seemed to be calling the T7's rehab a waste of money, when that program is the only thing keeping them in good enough condition to run until they order and receive the T10s. Without the rehab the T7s would have probably started dropping like flies eventually, to the point that the T8s and T9s (barely more than half the total fleet) might have to handle the entire operation solo (which would be a disaster).

The point was that you seemed to be calling the T7's rehab a waste of money, when that program is the only thing keeping them in good enough condition to run until they order and receive the T10s. Without the rehab the T7s would have probably started dropping like flies eventually, to the point that the T8s and T9s (barely more than half the total fleet) might have to handle the entire operation solo (which would be a disaster).
Precisely. "Why should I clean my room if it's only going to get dirty again"?

The reason that I say that is because it seems that they are being banged up in collisions. :unsure:

Anyone seen any more test trains on the Medford line?
All seems very quiet at the moment but I guess there's a lot of station and electric work going on.
Any time line for wrapping up been released?

Interesting construction technique they used for the old Lechmere train ramp…was that crevice filled with dirt/gravel? No steel?

47D8A246-32DB-4BE5-8669-721C9C2EBC5F.jpeg

What is the plan for this site? I would love to see this used as a development site.

Here is a previous answer, at least the start of one...

And, to be clear: the former Lechmere Yard was acquired by the Northpoint developers in a land-swap* which gave the T the land for New Lechmere in exchange for Old Lechmere's site.
The old T site is fully in private hands now (and the bus footprint too, whenever the new station opens). Old Lechmere is Site V (letter vee) in the Northpoint / Cambridge Crossing plans:

* It was a land-and-trackage rights swap with Guilford with parcels and rights across the whole PanAm & MBTA systems.

HziJsVbh.png

Seems to have held up all this time though!! Does anyone know what else will be put there? :)
Here is a couple pages out off the old Northpoint PDF. I don't think it was determined what to put right where the concrete structure is being demolished, One page indicated a 2 story building with cafe / retail and another option appears to be a green space.
building option.png
park option.png

First St looking at Northpoint

First St looking at Northpoint.png

Last edited:

Back