Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Re: Green Line to Medford to start in 2011

Jiminy Cricket, if you turn this into another conversation about soccer stadiums, I'm gonna ... I don't know what.

From today:

LINK

Hmmmm...interesting. While I agree that a Green Line extension out this way is important, it would be a shame to lose such a great spot for development, particularly if it meant that the Krafts would no longer look at the area as a possible suitor for a new soccer stadium. Everything I have read seems to indicate that (despite soccer's lack of popularity in the US) these new soccer stadiums do a lot to help boost smaller local economies.

You know with just a small amount of imagination, you can build OVER rail yards. A T yard should never be a barrier to development -- it should actually be promoted (T could make money off leased air rights!).

It may just be me, but I remember when the state wasn't looking to be a for profit entity.

I can't rationalize it, but I am not for selling the air rights over publicly held parcels. Come to think of it, I don't like the ads on Busses either.

I am excited by the Green Line, essentially going up Highland Avenue, or close to it. That there has been foot dragging on a commitment like this is not a surprise. It is really going to be nice. Hopefully it will alleviate some of the bus traffic over there. Although I doubt it.

It was a long time ago but I remember reading when they built or rebuilt the Cabot Yard behind South Station in the late 60's(?), they included pillings for future air rights over the tracks. This is not the area right behind the station but the area in South Boston.

Not in My Yard 8: Neighbors against state plan to put train shed next door

By Auditi Guha
Fri Sep 05, 2008, 10:49 AM EDT

Somerville -

Brickbottom residents and local activists are strongly opposing a state plan to build a large Green Line maintenance facility smack against their home.

?I am very much opposed to it,? said Brickbottom artist and resident Heather Van Aelst. ?The specific location will wall off Brickbottom and the Inner Belt area even more than they are now. It will do a lot of harm to the area and the economic development of the city.?

The Massachusetts Executive Office of Transportation recently proposed an 11-acre maintenance facility and storage for 80 train cars in Inner Belt next to the Brickbottom Artists Building, raising local hackles.

The location they are recommending is at the MBTA?s Yard 8 and adjacent land permitted for commercial development where they will do inspections; perform maintenance and repair cars; and maintain and repair track, power and signal systems.

?I live only yards from the proposed structure. I am on the ground floor at level with Yard 8 that literally backs up into us? in Brickbottom, said artist Polly Pook, who has been living at Brickbottom for the past 11 years. ?I have been very much in favor of the Green Line extension, but putting this facility here shows no respect for the residents.?

The Brickbottom Artists Studios are home to 200 full-time residents who strongly oppose the proposal as a development that was not part of the original ?Beyond Lechmere? plan for the Green Line expansion, but was added later in the planning process. They believe that such a large facility would subject residents to constant noise, light and vibration. The facility and storage yard would block future pedestrian and road connections between the Brickbottom and Inner Belt districts and from McGrath Highway and Washington Street, which would discourage opportunities for much-needed economic development. Taking this highly developable land for tax-free use will deprive the city and its residents of millions of dollars of potential tax income, according to the group.

?This is a very serious situation,? said Cynthia Maurice, a founding member of Brickbottom. ?Having a maintenance facility right next to our buildings would be disastrous to our well-being, let alone real estate devaluation and Somerville tax revenues. The area happens to be a beautiful, quiet open space, which would be ruined.?

The proposed project has also been evaluated as a pollutant with toxic waste run-off that would affect 11-plus acres sitting above the Old Miller River and could have drainage consequences for the Charles River, Maurice wrote in a recent letter to EOT officials.

With Somerville already the most densely populated city in New England and burdened by substantial untaxed public infrastructure, including seven commuter rail lines and the 30-acre Boston Engine Terminal, this additional burden is considered a big deal.

Somerville Transportation Equity Partnership members also oppose the proposal and suggest shifting maintenance of commuter rail trains to where they operate, especially with an expansion to south of Boston. This would open space in existing Maintenance Facility for Green Line trains, and the planned greater capacity building would not be needed.

STEP President Ellin Reisner said they are waiting for an analysis from the EOT that explains why the only solution is to place the facility at Yard 8. We don?t know what criteria they are using, but there are about 23 unused acres in Yard 7 (Somerville) and also about 30 acres in the existing Boston Engine Terminal complex that they could use instead, she said.

?Somerville is not opposed to having a maintenance facility for the Green Line, but its size and impact on our community should mirror the extension?s proportion to the full Green Line. The agreement to mitigate the Central Artery and Tunnel project did not require that Somerville absorb any more regional infrastructure,? Reisner wrote in a letter last month.

The Innerbelt Business Association and Somerville Chamber of Commerce are also opposing the proposed location.

Stephen Mackey, president/CEO, Somerville Chamber of Commerce, pointed out that Somerville already provides all the maintenance needed for North Station and support for South Station without getting any advantages of the commuter rail service.

?The city already hosts a 43-acre commuter rail facility. There is ample space there to host a Green Line facility,? he said. ?This area is a major commercially viable parcel in Somerville. There?s tremendous opportunity to bring tons of commercial development and millions of housing to tie (BrickBottom and Inner Belt) areas together. This facility would further increase the gulf between them.?

EOT officials have offered no answers yet to the letters and petitions sent, but the Green Line Extension Project will host a Project Advisory Group meeting next week, as part of the project?s ongoing public participation process. It will be held at the parish hall of St. Clements High School, 579 Boston Ave., Medford, on Thursday, Sept. 25, from 6:30- 8:30 p.m.

?EOT has performed a thorough review of at least a dozen potential locations up and down the extension corridor to determine those sites that can accommodate a facility with the required size and configuration. Of all of the locations reviewed, the Yard 8 site meets all of the operational needs,? said Wendy Stern, Undersecretary of Transportation. ?We understand local concerns and are committed to working with both the city and the neighborhood to maximize the compatibility of the facility with local uses both current and future.?

She also said that without building this facility, the green Line extension would not be possible. But no new updates are available yet, according to EOT spokesman Klark Jessen.

The city is working with EOT and other officials to determine the best possible location for the maintenance facility, which involves a study of the entire area, and consideration of the best use of the space for residents, businesses and development partners, said Somerville?s Public Information Officer Jaclyn Rossetti on Tuesday. No final decision will be made until all studies have been completed.

?Mayor Curtatone has made it very clear that the EOT must justify any proposed location and design with data that shows it is the only possible location for such a facility, and that other proposed sites are undesirable,? she said.

In addition to EOT?s monthly Citizen Advisory Group meetings, state officials will be presenting the revised recommendations in upcoming meetings. The first meeting is Thursday, Sept. 25, 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Somerville High School, 81 Highland Avenue. It will include an overview of the project, featuring station recommendations and preliminary environmental analysis.

The second meeting is Thursday, Oct. 2, 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Brooks School, Medford. The third is on Tuesday, Oct. 7, 6:30-8:30 p.m., at the Kennedy-Longfellow School, Cambridge.

Meanwhile, concerned residents are anxiously awaiting answers.

?I hope we can find a location for the facility that will not harm our neighborhood or Somerville,? said Van Aelst, who is also a member of Board of Trustees at Brickbottom and on the city?s extended Green Line Advisory group.

?What is needed is imaginative and resourceful thinking about how the site can beneficially serve regional transportation needs without overburdening Somerville and preventing the much-needed economic benefits that development of Inner Belt can provide,? Reisner said.

LINK

Are they aware that the stadium is planned to sit on top of that yard?

Is who aware of what stadium? As far as I know, any stadium is just speculation, nowhere near deserving the verb 'planned'.

Right now, the Krafts are solely interested in getting their Patriots Place complex up and running. That is a major investment and is taking precedence over any kind of soccer stadium at the moment (as it should be - not a slight to the soccer fans out there, it's just that the Krafts should be focusing on the task at hand, not looking deep into the future).

Unfortunately, Patriots Place was less than impressive when I was there. Hopefully, it will liven up when all the store fronts move in, but walking along the complex, the facade and feel of the place was very cheap and very sub par. My father commented on how the Krafts went cheap on just about everything (I trust his opinion since he is in the business). Just my two cents.

^I was there last week. I looked at the renderings they had posted everywhere, and it seems they're only done with one phase (of 3). I'm hopeful, but other than Bass Pro (quite interesting, actually) there's nothing other than a small strip mall with a circuit city, Linens n Thinngs (woohooo!), and a few others (I think a Bobs?).

When the entertainment venues and restaurants go in, it should be better. as of now? not so much.

Isn't Linens 'n' Things going out of business? I thought they went bankrupt. At least, all the stores out here had closing sales last month.

Great find. I like the idea about a tunnel under Union Sq especially, but I have to wonder if they went with the original plan of a station between Webster and Prospect then they would have more space for a bus transfer. A station in the heart of Union Sq would be better for pedestrians but since Union Sq would now be a transfer point you would want more space from buses.

Many awaiting movement on Green Line extension
By Noah Bierman
January 11, 2009

Shocking. A state transportation project is missing a deadline, prompting concerns about delays. Round up the usual suspects.
OK, so maybe it's not too surprising. But the Massachusetts Bay Turnpike Authority's Green Line extension to Somerville and Medford is worthy of attention - one of the state's highest priorities and among its most expensive public transit projects underway in the next few years.
Commuters, residents, and environmentalists are all awaiting key decisions, including how far into Medford the Green Line trolleys eventually will go. The project is such a high priority that Governor Deval Patrick has pledged state money to finish it by the end of 2014, even if the Commonwealth loses its bid to get federal funding for half the estimated $600 million cost.
State planners missed a December deadline to turn in an environmental review and then canceled a key meeting this month with an outside advisory committee. Members of the committee had been told that the meeting was a precursor to completing those environmental documents.
Project planners have promised to address some controversial questions at the meeting, including where they intend to build the line's final station. Residents of Medford are divided over the project, and there has been no official decision about whether to extend the line all the way to Route 16 or to terminate it about a mile sooner, at Tufts University.
This meeting "delay is especially troubling because they've already missed the deadline," said Carrie Russell, an attorney for the Conservation law Foundation, which has held the state's feet to the fire on the project through lawsuits.
Ken Krause, a Medford representative on the project advisory group, said even small delays could add up because the project's schedule is so tight. Some have speculated that the delays are related to the wait for James A. Aloisi Jr. to take office this week as state transportation secretary.
State transportation officials say that's not the case, and have promised they can make up the time through "streamlining opportunities" and still complete the expansion by the end of 2014. Wendy Stern, transportation undersecretary, said in a statement e-mailed by a spokesman that there will be no delay and that she expects to hold the advisory meeting next month.
In a follow-up, spokesman Klark Jessen said the delay was needed so planners could gather more information as they determine where to place the final station.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...any_awaiting_movement_on_green_line_extension

Shocking? Hardly. 2011 is in 3 years and they haven't even finished the plans. Or are they going to start digging in 3 years? Both are ridiculous.

Shocking? Hardly. 2011 is in 3 years and they haven't even finished the plans. Or are they going to start digging in 3 years? Both are ridiculous.

Digging is to START in 2011, with construction to finish by 2014.

Boston.com - February, 3 2009
State wants to extend Green Line to Mystic River
February 3, 2009 01:48 PM

By Globe Staff

The state recommended today that the MBTA's Green Line should be extended all the way to the Mystic River, a decision that will take the trolley line a mile further into Medford than an alternative route that stopped at Tufts University.

The $600 million plan, which will require federal funding, would move Lechmere Station and extend the trolley line to the Mystic Valley Parkway, which is also known as Route 16. The station would be near Medford's border with Somerville and Arlington, a location that is within a half-mile walk of nearly 10, 000 residents. The proposal released today, however, does not include construction of a new parking facility, an addition that had been discussed.

?The Green Line Extension will advance community plans for smart growth and urban redevelopment and provide environmental justice communities with faster rides to jobs and destinations," said Transportation Secretary James Aloisi Jr. in a press release announcing the decision. The Executive Office of Transportation "is very pleased to advance this project and we will continue to work with local officials to make it very successful.?

The shorter route would have ended the Green Line extension at College Avenue near Tufts University. Some Medford residents have opposed the longer route because they are concerned about traffic, parking, and other congestion problems. A meeting to solicit community input is scheduled today at 4 p.m. at Saint Clement Junior/Senior High School at 579 Boston Ave. in Medford.

The state committed to extend the Green Line into Medford nearly 20 years ago to avoid a lawsuit. The Conservation Law Foundation had threatened to block the Big Dig if Massachusetts did not also make transit improvements.

^ "environmental justice communities": what are those?

Communities that are impacted by transit lines (with noise and diesel smoke), but where those transit lines don't actually provide service (because they pass through the communities without stopping in them). Somerville is an excellent example. Everett is another, not addressed by this project.

^ "environmental justice communities": what are those?

You must still be living in the 90's, the 'digital divide' and that sort of stuff. Every one who is anyone is in a tither over environmental justice.

Communities that are impacted by transit lines (with noise and diesel smoke), but where those transit lines don't actually provide service (because they pass through the communities without stopping in them).
Thanks, Ron.

(What a quaint term.)

Every one who is anyone is in a tither over environmental justice.
Obviously, I'm not anyone. (Better get myself in a tither, pronto.)

Back