Green Line Type 10 Procurement

I’m guessing that Hitachi may get a gentle hint to take a pass on this one.

The Bombardier and Alstom are substantially longer than the others, which I thought was one of pros touted in one of the T presentations on the Type 10.

All of these are available in various sizes (both the number of segments, and the length of some middle segments) to match the needs of the agency. All of these companies will easily be able to produce the 110-foot vehicle the MBTA has specified.

Kinki Sharyo: a Type 10 would likely be similar to this P3010 in LA.
Of the Kinki options, wouldn't this one be the least likely, given it's 100% high floor layout would presumably make it a born PITA to make into a LF?

I assume a Kinki offering would be far more similar to this Japanese domestic market (Hiroshima 5100) or the Sound Transit LRV.
unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

The problem I see is that Kinki doesn't seem to have a true OTS modular architecture like Alstom/Bombardier and Siemens, with all of its US LRV builds seemingly unique.

An off-the-shelf vehicle is likely to look like one of these (the most recent models from the main manufacturers). All of these models are widely used worldwide; I've noted which ones are used in the US and Canada. All images from Wikimedia Commons - click for the file information page. In many cases I would expect to see a blunter nose for the Type 10 - long streamlined noses will not fit in the restricted loading gauge of the Tremont Street Subway.

Bombardier Flexity Freedom: used on several Canadian lines (ION pictured)

CAF Urbos: used on several US lines (Houston pictured). The Type 9 is a modified version of the Houston model.

Alstom Citadis Spirit: used on several Canadian lines (Ottawa pictured)

The above two are OK in my opinion. I just hope we end up with something a little less boxy and a little more sleek. I find the Type 9's to be very boxy looking and not something you would find in design-oriented cities in Italy or Spain. I find the new Toronto Streetcars to be very nice in my opinion.

1629846147935.png

I think that the MBTA needs something new & exciting. Ever get the feeling that what they've been getting looks boxy, boring & old? This goes all the way back to the old Boeing Vertol (Type 6?) units. They all seem to have pretty much the same old boring shape, right up to the Type 9's. One of these new vehicles would look streamlined & fresh for the next decade or so!! :)

Last edited:
An off-the-shelf vehicle is likely to look like one of these (the most recent models from the main manufacturers). All of these models are widely used worldwide; I've noted which ones are used in the US and Canada. All images from Wikimedia Commons - click for the file information page. In many cases I would expect to see a blunter nose for the Type 10 - long streamlined noses will not fit in the restricted loading gauge of the Tremont Street Subway.

Siemens S70/S700: widely used in the US (Portland pictured)

Bombardier Flexity Freedom: used on several Canadian lines (ION pictured)

CAF Urbos: used on several US lines (Houston pictured). The Type 9 is a modified version of the Houston model.

Alstom Citadis Spirit: used on several Canadian lines (Ottawa pictured)

Kinki Sharyo: a Type 10 would likely be similar to this P3010 in LA.

AnsaldoBreda (now Hitachi Rail Italy) Sirio: not yet used in North America, but common elsewhere (Milan pictured). Their last US effort, to my knowledge, was the P2550 for LA in 2007-2011.

Boy!!! This one looks like a real nice looking monster!!!! :love:

The Type-7 look is what they should go for. The classic look fits great in Boston.

These were nice looking when the T first got them.

With all due respect . . . I don't think you need the world's premier design firm to put a flat windshield and a couple of headlights on the front of a square box. You and I could have done a better job with a box of crayons.
8560.jpg

With all due respect . . . I don't think you need the world's premier design firm to put a flat windshield and a couple of headlights on the front of a square box. You and I could have done a better job with a box of crayons.
View attachment 15924

Weren't they also the ones who suggested (insisted on?) the teal-and-silver colors, which the MBTA then painted a bunch of Type 7s in only to undo it a decade or so later? Or was that Breda itself who was responsible for that one?

I kind of remember that was a Dan Grabauskas thing. I think he saw the color used somewhere in Europe and liked it.

Pininfarina and Breda are both Italian companies and that is the connection there.

CambridgeSeven came up with the whole color scheme for the entire MBTA system and the original train colors but was also responsible for the terrible black and white with yellow doors bus scheme.

MBTA-Modernization-Archive.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing that I'd like to see them get away from is the boxy-type look in their trolleys, which will probably happen when they select one of these cool designs. :)

The front of this trolley look almost like THIS - one of the proposed London subway cars!!

View attachment 15937
That thing would look so silly going 3 MPH down Comm ave lol

A lot of these smooth "futuristic" designs invoke a sense of speed that the Green line just doesn't have in my mind. It's a freakin trolley for the most part. I might just be pro-boxy

The front of this trolley look almost like THIS - one of the proposed London subway cars!!

[snip]
Them putting "The Future" on as the destination is just amazing.

EDIT: Also, what kind of platform is this? The car is halfway down the tunnel. I can only imagine it left the station without closing its doors and she's leaping to get on at the last second before it careens off into the tunnel.

Them putting "The Future" on as the destination is just amazing.

EDIT: Also, what kind of platform is this? The car is halfway down the tunnel. I can only imagine it left the station without closing its doors and she's leaping to get on at the last second before it careens off into the tunnel.
and the station walls seem to be made from sheets! madness i tell ya!

That thing would look so silly going 3 MPH down Comm ave lol

A lot of these smooth "futuristic" designs invoke a sense of speed that the Green line just doesn't have in my mind. It's a freakin trolley for the most part. I might just be pro-boxy

Wouldn't that be true for any streetcar or light rail system, though? None of them move all that fast.

The train is more than likely a mockup with the "station" & tunnel also being a mockup. I don't think this design won, but it looked pretty convincing!! :)

Wouldn't that be true for any streetcar or light rail system, though? None of them move all that fast.
I'm specifically weirded out by the London tube one, that could pass as a hyperloop train.
But yeah, I find many of those designs a little strange.

Also probably personal bias in thinking the GL absolutely crawls particularly slowly.

Whatever model that they choose, guess what? It will be the least expensive design. The MBTA has always dealt with designers & co's this way. So they will go with the cheapest design & with the lowest possible price. :unsure:

Back