Green Line Type 10 Procurement

That's a rendering, obviously, and it's a London Tube train, a system with even tighter physical constraints than the Central Subway. Note the doors that wrap into the roof so you can get in the thing without banging your head.

EDIT: Also, what kind of platform is this? The car is halfway down the tunnel. I can only imagine it left the station without closing its doors and she's leaping to get on at the last second before it careens off into the tunnel.
Trick, it's the Glasgow subway.

Trick, it's the Glasgow subway.

I think thast it's just a prop to show only the mockup of the first car, giving the illusion that the rest of it is stll in the tunnel. 😊

For what it's worth, the picture of the creepy faceless train was a circa-2013 Siemens mockup of a new London Tube train design proposal. The most recent design renderings show a much more traditional-looking train (which based on the destination signs is headed north on the Piccadilly Line).

DTUP_exterior_FD_01_JH2-lower20res.jpg

Is there really a Cockfosters station :ROFLMAO:

Yup, that's a real station, the northern terminus of the Piccadilly Line. I appreciate that the rendering accurately depicted the correct line that the new trains were being ordered for, but I have to wonder whether whoever did the rendering didn't quite get why it's amusing, or if they did and ran with it on purpose. 🙃

I like the type 9 design better than anything that’s been pictured in the last 2 pages. I think probably because it just looks like a natural evolution of the type 7s .

The Type 7's have been given a complete face lift, but they are not ADA complient at all, making them practically useless for disabled riders to board them. :(

The Type 7's have been given a complete face lift, but they are not ADA complient at all, making them practically useless for disabled riders to board them. :(

The original run of T7s (the 3600 series) predated the ADA. I assume that there was either some form of waiver, the law wasn't fully in effect, or the provision of those wheelchair lifts they had (are they still around?) was deemed sufficient for the 1997 supplemental order for the 3700s to get approved. Regrettably while Alstom's rebuild addressed the mechanical and electrical systems and a cosmetic refresh, I don't think it would ever have been possible to do anything significant about the T7s' high floor design (short of installing a low-floor center section, which I think is technically possible but probably not cost effective for cars of that vintage). Does unfortunately leave GL riders with a big chunk of cars that are much less accessible, for the time being anyway. The T7s will be the last high floor cars the GL sees.

DART did it with their Kinky Sharyo cars:

Akard_Station_July_2015_10.jpg

NEW SUPER DART RAIL VEHICLES DEBUT THIS SUMMER WITH ADDED CAPACITY AND IMPROVED ACCESS
DART is updating its fleet of 115 light rail vehicles (LRV) by inserting a new, low-floor insert between the existing sections of the vehicle adding seating capacity and improving access through level boarding. The newly modified vehicles began service on June 23, 2008 with car #151.

That car looks brand new! Almost like the new Acela trains for Amtrack!! It certainly beats the trolleys that the MBTA has, & it pretty much has the same color as the MBTA's buses. 😊

I haven't been on the green line in maybe a year and noticed that the Type 8s have new destination screens. Yellow dot matrix style on black instead of black letters on yellow squares. I also find it weird that its only the Type 8s when they just finished completely redoing all the Type 7s and they didn't get the improved screens?

I haven't been on the green line in maybe a year and noticed that the Type 8s have new destination screens. Yellow dot matrix style on black instead of black letters on yellow squares. I also find it weird that its only the Type 8s when they just finished completely redoing all the Type 7s and they didn't get the improved screens?

I figured that the decision on the new signs came down after the end of the overhaul program. I'm pretty sure that's a new thing this year. No idea if there's any compatibility issues with the T7s or if they just haven't gotten around to it or aren't going to spend on just-overhauled cars, though.

New type of car for Mattapan? Just found this:

The T's plan is to eventually replace the refurbished trolleys with newer cars borrowed from the Green Line (Type 9s), but given a host of recent safety issues at the MBTA, Driscoll said he's worried that maybe that idea should be scrapped, and the line should get completely new cars. He's hoping money from a pending federal infrastructure deal could be used to pay for new cars.

They should absolutely go for new cars here. The current trolleys are at least 50 years old. Accident waiting to happen.

New type of car for Mattapan? Just found this:

The T's plan is to eventually replace the refurbished trolleys with newer cars borrowed from the Green Line (Type 9s), but given a host of recent safety issues at the MBTA, Driscoll said he's worried that maybe that idea should be scrapped, and the line should get completely new cars. He's hoping money from a pending federal infrastructure deal could be used to pay for new cars.

Well, it's a quote from a politician, which at least by the way the article frames it amounts to borderline fearmongering, as though incidents (some of them, indeed, quite serious) mean that the T and all of its equipment is somehow inherently unsafe. The Type 9s are like three and a half years old at most, and have not apparently had any major issues in service, unlike the Bredas that spent their early lives hopping the tracks at the slightest provocation. So while I don't necessarily expect a state representative to necessarily know this intuitively, there's literally nothing to suggest that the T9s are in any way unsafe. That doesn't necessarily mean that Mattapan shouldn't get brand-new cars if the feds are paying, but it's hardly a priority at the moment given that by the time the T plans to shift the T9s over there, the T9s should still have plenty of good life left in them, meaning it would be very wasteful to buy new Mattapan cars.

They should absolutely go for new cars here. The current trolleys are at least 50 years old. Accident waiting to happen.

More like 70+ years old, rebuilt multiple times, currently being rebuilt again. I don't think there's anything to support the idea that they're an accident waiting to happen or in any way inherently dangerous, though they are increasingly expensive to maintain.

New probably isn't as important as low-floor and reliable, which will hopefully fit Type 9s nicely.

(Where the Type 7s are in good shape, but have the steps, and the Type 8s are low floor but of questionable reliability

Back