Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Worth noting at least 2 things.
1) Unless you're talking about a different more recent order, that order was back in 2016, even as they only entered service last year. Prices have considerably increased in the intervening 6 years.
2) While the fleet size was to increased to 184 cars from 62, I believe the actual order was for 122 cars. They ordered another 30 odd options in 2017.

Adjusting for cumulative inflation of ~23% since 2016, Sound Transit's order has a 2022 value of $897m. Using their pricing, 102 units would cost the MBTA ~$750m - and given the larger trainset and customizations required, I'd say that we're in the ballpark there. Of course, I haven't looked for any other more recent large US LRT orders to validate that.
Right. And don't forget that the trend in rolling stock orders these days is to bank ~generous~ Service & Support contracts into the contract base so the fleets have lifetime vendor service. Especially valuable when fleets have one-vendor or one-make hegemony, which the T certainly will being an all-CAF shop in the LRT division. S&S recoups its value on the back end when these things are still readily repairable near end-of-life (a situation quite unlike the Bredas and their huge dead line of out-of-service cars that'll cost an arm-and-a-leg to get someone to fab parts for).

These aren't unicorns, despite them having a naming convention in Boston "Type" designations. Under the hood these are going to be Urbos 3's by another name and quite a bit less customized from the vehicle family base than even the Type 9's (which are themselves heavily Urbos-derived) were.

Is THIS the new look for the type 10 supercars? Or is it just the rendering of a prototype?
Supercarsfor  the mbta..jpg

Last edited:

It looks like this design will be the one. Here's a type 10 shown in full length! I wonder if they'll put in a test track somewhere to test-run them. There are no renderings of how the interiors will look yet. :)

Last edited:
Here's how the new driver's cab might look!! :)
Driver's Cab..jpg

Last edited:
Is THIS the new look for the type 10 supercars? Or is it just the rendering of a prototype? View attachment 28070

That rendering is a prototype and the final design will likely have some modifications made, but it will likely look significantly similar to that. They will likely be using the existing CAF Urbos 3 vehicle design and modifying it to meet the MBTA's needs.

Luxembourg Tram Urbos 3
1280px-Luxtram_2018_06.jpg

Freiburg Tram Urbos 3
Urbos_Freiburg.jpg

As I thought. The prototype can & will be just about anything. But after the actual design is drawn up several times, the models can also be just about anything as well. At least, they've made a proposal that would probably be close to what they're getting to. Like the new World Trade Center in New York. It went through several design changes & proposals before the actual design concept was chosen & built. :unsure:

Last edited:
This one looks good also. Looks like we're still playing the waiting game until they can come up with an actual design that they'll go with. Probably one that is already in production. The only thing new is that CAF will be making the new supercars. The final design of them is anyone's guess. Still up in the air.
One of New Supercar Proposal.jpg

In reality, this is how it went with the new Red & Orange Line cars. If you remember, several co's had submitted their design proposals & CRRC won the bid. Now, the T is on a mad rush to get the track work done in preperation for the new supercars to come. Lessons learn't from using old tracks with new equipment, as what has happened with the Orange Line. Had they done this work beforehand, they would not have had to shut the line down for a month to do it! :unsure: :eek:

Last edited:
As for the new Type 10's, at least they'll be getting away from that boxy-type style. They've had that style for eons, from the Type 6, all the way to the Type 8's! It's time for something new, fresh & excitingly cool!! :)

As for the new Type 10's, at least they'll be getting away from that boxy-type style. They've had that style for eons, from the Type 6, all the way to the Type 8's! It's time for something new, fresh & excitingly cool!! :)

Uh, well, apart from the mockup at Seashore, there was no Type 6 (the Boeings emphatically did not have a "Type" designation). It's also kind of hard to label the T7s, T8s, and T9s as all similarly "boxy"; the Type 8s are quite boxy, the other two less so. More to the point, the final design of the Type 10s won't necessarily match any of the other Urbos versions; the designs of all of the existing vehicles are made to make the appropriate-size, appropriate-capacity vehicles fit in the tunnels, the same will be true for the new ones. If we're lucky they'll be more on the streamlined end and less square than the T8s, but they're not reinventing the wheel here (or, well, reinventing the LRV).

Could THIS eventually be how the new Type 10's might look, but in green?!! One has to wonder, since CAF is making some of them for Maryland also. Hah!!

Attachments

• CAF-to-supply-26-LRVs-for-Maryland-Purple-Line-Project.jpg
    CAF-to-supply-26-LRVs-for-Maryland-Purple-Line-Project.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I hadn't noticed before, but the June SWA presentation had a new render of the type 10.

Of note is the more conservative design aesthetic, and a noticeable decrease in the amount of windows. Also, why can't we have flush windows instead of the old school framed kind?
1000012314.jpg

Attachments

• 1000012316.jpg
    1000012316.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 61
I hadn't noticed before, but the June SWA presentation had a new render of the type 10.

Of note is the more conservative design aesthetic, and a noticeable decrease in the amount of windows. Also, why can't we have flush windows instead of the old school framed kind?
View attachment 41465
Actually this does look most realistic. I noticed none of the renders show a coupler at the front, but this version of car looks most likely to incorporate a coupler at the front. Do they just not render them in because it looks sleeker without it? There should be truth in advertising.

That looks like a lightly customized Urbos LRV, like Houston has.

The DOT standards probably yield the framed windows and other changes that cut down the sleekness seen in Europe and elsewhere.

Note the top of the redesigned Type 10 trolley. It has the slanted top just like the one on the Type9's. As for the coupling, it seems hidden just like on the Amtrak Acelas!! Well, CAF also made the Type 9's. I just hope that the T does not have to go through what they're going through with CRRC!!! All those damn delays & delivery problems with the new Red & Orange Line cars! :)

Last edited:
Actually this does look most realistic. I noticed none of the renders show a coupler at the front, but this version of car looks most likely to incorporate a coupler at the front. Do they just not render them in because it looks sleeker without it? There should be truth in advertising.

If you zoom in and turn up the brightness they rendered in a bumper there
IMG_8780.jpeg

Back