Green Line Type 10 Procurement

F-Line to Dudley

Reaction score
So what happened to the Type 9 Green Line trains? I haven't a single one since a sighting in late Spring early Summer?
7 cars are in active revenue service right now, and as I type this 3910 is testing outbound on the D at Newton Centre per the train tracker.

3911 was the latest new delivery last week. I don't know if they've appeared anywhere other than the D yet. They've been testing on the C all month, but no confirmation of any passenger runs there yet.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
7 cars are in active revenue service right now, and as I type this 3910 is testing outbound on the D at Newton Centre per the train tracker.

3911 was the latest new delivery last week. I don't know if they've appeared anywhere other than the D yet. They've been testing on the C all month, but no confirmation of any passenger runs there yet.
Saw 3911 testing recently as well. As far as I've seen, they've only been in revenue on the D branch. And I haven't even seen them testing on the E or B in months. It's possible they don't want their shiny new trains getting damaged street running with lots of intersections... Also as far as I've seen, still not running type 9s on weekends, at least not in revenue service. With the OL down on weekends it would be a great time to run some on the E branch but oh well.

swtat

Reaction score
"The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) invites qualified Transit Vehicle Manufacturers (TVMs) to submit Proposals for the provision of 165 a new fleet of “Type 10” light rail vehicles for MBTA’s Green Line, in accordance with Technical Specifications No. VE-19-049 and the RFP Contract Documents.

Qualified Transit Vehicle Manufacturers (TVMs) interested in submitting a Proposal in response to this RFP must email GL10RFP@mbta.com to request copies of the RFP 367F-19 and Technical Specifications VE-19-049.

Complete Proposals are due by 5:00 PM ET on April 15, 2020."

It took almost exactly 2 years to develop the specifications for the Type 10. This is lightning speed compared to the Red/Orange Line specification development (2008-2013).

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
netransit:
Type 10s
The MBTA has requested bids for 165 Type 10s with options for up to 61 additional cars. Proposals are due 04/15/2020. The proposed design calls for a 7-section, 112-ft long car with a 100% low-floor passenger area or a five-section car that may contain high-floor sections at the ends. Both designs permit an isolated operators cabin which may be high-floor. Type 10s will only operate in trains with other Type 10s, but will have anti-climbers and folding couplers compatible with Type 7s, 8s, and 9s for emergency towing or pushing. The contract includes an option for the builder to be responsible for scrapping all Type 7s and Type 8s. The initial procurement will replace two-car trains of Type 7s and Type 8s with single-car Type 10s. Later options will provide enough Type 10s to operate two-car trains initially on the D and E lines and later on the B and C lines. Delivery of four pilot vehicles would be 43 months after a contract is awarded. Delivery of production vehicles would begin 4.5 years after a contract is awarded and be completed 9 years after contract is awarded.