Hancock of the day...

You ever imagine what would happen if Donald Trump bought the Hancock Tower?

hancockgold.jpg

(original photo is copyright John Horner)

BTW - we did this to promote the LEED Gold accreditation the Hancock Tower just achieved, I thought it was worth passing on.

So, I was in the John Hancock Conference Center and Hotel today. On the wall they have mockups of old calendars they used to give out at the end of every year.

This calendar is of the Old State House. The caption reads:

"Reading of the Declaration of Independence from the east balcony of the Old State House, Boston, July 18, 1776.

The Lion and Unicorn, Kings Arms and all vestiges of royalty were then taken down and burned in King Street (now State St)."

So, the way the Old State House looks now? Yeah, it honors the "vestiges of royalty".

jk.jpg

Yeah, when the Old State House was restored at the beginning of the century there was a conscious decision made to match what was believed to be its original appearance, I think - in line with the later restoration of the Paul Revere House, which chose to go with its 17th century, rather than 18th century appearance.

By that point, it had been almost completely covered in billboards and had just been saved from sale and shipment to Chicago!

Anyway, I think the royal emblems look more handsome. The OSH is no longer a state government building so it doesn't really send the wrong signals to honor British royalty (Rockefeller Center has a whole frieze glorifying the British Empire, and it was built in the 30s!)

Back