Harvard - Allston Campus

^ agreed. This development is part of a monumental effort to remake Western Ave and surrounding neighborhoods. It was not going to happen overnight no matter what, and easing into it is a way that allows the developer to generate the healthiest returns (provided they have a financing model that can tolerate the vacancy period).

Signage on the ground floor retail spots indicates a couple of new businesses planning to open soon (a deli and an ice cream shop, I believe).

Nonetheless, Western Ave is tough...it has long barren stretches...some pockets of blight. It will take a concerted effort (and patience) to weave it all together. But very glad to see it underway.

^ agreed. This development is part of a monumental effort to remake Western Ave and surrounding neighborhoods. It was not going to happen overnight no matter what, and easing into it is a way that allows the developer to generate the healthiest returns (provided they have a financing model that can tolerate the vacancy period).

Signage on the ground floor retail spots indicates a couple of new businesses planning to open soon (a deli and an ice cream shop, I believe).

Nonetheless, Western Ave is tough...it has long barren stretches...some pockets of blight. It will take a concerted effort (and patience) to weave it all together. But very glad to see it underway.

The Deli is nearing completion, the ice cream shop is just a pop-up thing to utilize the space. I'm not sure why that bay has not been rented yet, I think Harvard is involved and is being choosey in who/what they bring in. I wish there was another cafe in the area but with Harvard being involved in Swiss Bakers space/building they may not want the competition.

The deli is only a deli in concept, it looks like it's going to be a higher end restaurant. The Franklin Restaurant Group (of the Franklin in the South end) are the people behind it.

I was told this morning that The Continuum is at 97% capacity, I don't know if that's true or not.

- - - - -

Does anyone know the story behind the lighted environmental installation in the small park across from the Continuum?

Edit, n/m, it's a student designed installation

090717_Fall2017Exhibits_029.jpg

090717_Fall2017Exhibits_033.jpg

090717_Fall2017Exhibits_004-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
The Deli is nearing completion, the ice cream shop is just a pop-up thing to utilize the space. I'm not sure why that bay has not been rented yet, I think Harvard is involved and is being choosey in who/what they bring in. I wish there was another cafe in the area but with Harvard being involved in Swiss Bakers space/building they may not want the competition.

The deli is only a deli in concept, it looks like it's going to be a higher end restaurant. The Franklin Restaurant Group (of the Franklin in the South end) are the people behind it.

I was told this morning that The Continuum is at 97% capacity, I don't know if that's true or not.

- - - - -

Does anyone know the story behind the lighted environmental installation in the small park across from the Continuum?

Edit, n/m, it's a student designed installation

090717_Fall2017Exhibits_029.jpg

090717_Fall2017Exhibits_033.jpg

090717_Fall2017Exhibits_004-1024x683.jpg

That's pretty beautiful.

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/...g-kendall-square-20-depends-who-you-ask-80254

Harvard must not like the implication that it's following the leader :D

I do find the commentary that the New Balance Boston Landing and Harvard Allston Campus have "better transit access" than the Seaport to be a bit bizarre.

The Silver Line is not great, but it is certainly much more frequent than the Worcester Line. The Silver line can also take you to the airport. And from much of the Seaport, you can walk to the Red Line at South Station.

i can't help but think that with Boston's current planning and what could be just over the horizon, transit in 10~15 years shows the potential to be quite better than today (and possibly adding a few dmu's before that time?) Probably more packed than ever, but we could be into some considerably improved transit, and more projects ramping up by then. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

I love to see this. Harvard is making this building to seamlessly fit into the fabric of the university and when finished it will look like it was always there. Its matching the rest of the architecture of the campus perfectly.

Last edited:

Back