Harvard - Allston Campus

Only at Harvard is a temporary building built at a cost of nearly $1,400 a sq ft.

I mean, we should also note this from the article:

“When the site is no longer available, it is intended to move the building to another site on campus for it to have a second life and purpose.”

So, it is being constructed in a manner where it can be eventually moved... which is a whole set of weirdness, but makes it less temporary (if they actually follow through on moving it).

It is less "temporary" as "demount-able". Harvard is not going to waste that property on something so light on FAR. Think of it like this. They are setting up the city and the residents to understand that this thing will disappear someday. How it will disappear will be determined later.

cca

Last night waiting at the light

43171630372_77e9f75d05_b.jpg

The small building in Beeline's photos above is the Art Lab described by Harvard as:
The 9,000 square foot building is organized as a one-story pinwheel plan with a series of artist studio spaces, common space and exhibition, workshop, and video and sound engineering spaces which surround a common hub space at the center. The building is intended to be light and industrial and will include a welcoming, publicly-accessible outdoor space to complement the collaboration and making that will take place inside.

harvard_artlab_005.jpg

I believe it is also designed so that it can be moved elsewhere in the future. For $12.5 million for 9,000 square feet, it ought to be!

I would not call it movable like a modular classroom, but think of it more like "demount able" which means it can be broken down into its constituent parts and re-assembled.

cca

Back