I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

Re: I-90 Interchange Improvement Project (Allston)

Charlie_mta said:
15085684946_9201c96eb6_b.jpg

I think it's elegant that North Harvard becomes the main corridor of connectivity through Beacon Park (although the intersection with SFR looks a bit wonky). I also like how compact all the Pike ramps are here - and if this is possible from a traffic engineering perspective then it would be fantastic. Interesting to compare what you have here against Davem's. What's your perspective on his proposal?

Davem said:

Tour...

IMG_20140903_132038.jpg

IMG_20140903_132048.jpg

IMG_20140903_132301.jpg

IMG_20140903_132623.jpg

IMG_20140903_132629.jpg

IMG_20140903_133604.jpg

IMG_20140903_133623.jpg

IMG_20140903_133648.jpg

IMG_20140903_134021.jpg

Guess where some of those fireworks came from:
IMG_20140903_134043.jpg

IMG_20140903_134224.jpg

IMG_20140903_135351.jpg

IMG_20140903_135354.jpg

IMG_20140903_135434.jpg

IMG_20140903_135449.jpg

IMG_20140903_135501.jpg

IMG_20140903_135510.jpg

IMG_20140903_141642.jpg

Updates... MassDOT is studying a proposal that would make a one-way pair out of Cambridge Street, creating a new Cambridge Street to the south that is one-way going east, and converting the existing Cambridge Street into a one-way (2-3 lanes) going west.

Heard word that MBTA is studying a proposal for West Station that would put in 2 platforms serving 2 mainline tracks, 1 DMU track serving Grand Junction, and 1 full clearance freight track to the side. Plus enough storage space for 18 consists of 8 pax + 1 loco.

SO Cambridge St would become even MORE of a highway? Or would the new street be in fact a new street and Cambridge St just converts to one way? Either way they better be building Complete Streets with bike lanes and sidewalk bulbs for quicker pedestrian crossings.

Also, West Station is a terrible name.

I think it's elegant that North Harvard becomes the main corridor of connectivity through Beacon Park (although the intersection with SFR looks a bit wonky). I also like how compact all the Pike ramps are here - and if this is possible from a traffic engineering perspective then it would be fantastic. Interesting to compare what you have here against Davem's. What's your perspective on his proposal?

I like Davem's plan and his work in general. His plan provides a full freeway to freeway connection between SFR and the Mass Pike to/from the west, which I don't think is necessary. I wanted instead to have a high density urban, mixed use development which takes up as much of the area as possible: small blocks, a mix of high and low rise buildings containing residential and/or office space, with ground floor retail along the more major streets.

To achieve that to the maximum, I compressed the freeway ramps as much as possible. I am a highway designer/civil engineer by profession and am fairly confident the ramps I depict are more or less possible, but obviously would need to be refined as needed in an actual design.

The intersection I show of SFR with the N Harvard Street extension is actually fairly standard, just a traffic light controlled surface intersection with ramps overhead. It's set up to allow reasonably safe pedestrian crossing at grade to the expanded riverside park; all of the heavier, high speed SFR traffic would be on the ramps overhead.

This whole area could be a really exciting, large new section of the city, bridging two currently widely separated areas with vibrant mixed use neighborhoods fronting the river and having excellent access to road and rail systems. I am really disappointed in the timid approach that MASSDOT seems to be taking. This very large developable tract demands a bold and unified urban plan.

SO Cambridge St would become even MORE of a highway? Or would the new street be in fact a new street and Cambridge St just converts to one way? Either way they better be building Complete Streets with bike lanes and sidewalk bulbs for quicker pedestrian crossings.

Also, West Station is a terrible name.

It could be more of a highway, or it could carry the traffic volume while being considerably narrower and fitting bike lanes and wide sidewalks. It might also distribute traffic deeper into the site, making things easier on neighbors and opening up more of the railyard to profitable retail use.

Or it could just be a highway. Both are possible.

West Station is both a horrible name, and had no need whatsoever to serve commuter trains. The station should never be planned for any mode but DMU - CR would be cut back to just BBY and South Station.

So...still playing both sides of the coin in an election year?

"We have no money to build West Station."

"We're going to build an even bigger West Station!"

West Station makes some sense to me as a commuter stop, if Framingham line commuters can switch there to the DMU to Kendall.

MBTA.jpg

West Station makes some sense to me as a commuter stop, if Framingham line commuters can switch there to the DMU to Kendall.

MBTA.jpg

The Worcester-North Station study covered all of this. 5 rush hour trips each direction serves that need during peak hours, and on the off-peak the study concluded that transfers to Red @ SS (for Kendall) and Orange @ BBY (for NS) matched or beat the Grand Junction on travel time while offering up vastly higher frequencies than continuing to split the Worcester Line inbound termini at all hours. The study was pretty conclusive that there's no there there for outside-128 trip demand except for the aforementioned rush hour trips where the northside diversion sidesteps the day's most acute subway congestion. The ridership for Framingham/Worcester directs to Kendall and North Station disappears midday when the subway has slack space and superior frequencies to all else, and splitting or diluting the CR route in Allston in any way was inferior for exploiting demand vs. keeping the off-peak frequencies pretty robust on the singular BBY/SS routing. The maths didn't leave a lot of ambiguity there.

Not to mention...

1) there has been no traffic modeling whatsoever as to whether the Grand Junction can handle anything close to DMU frequencies (but we've covered that ad nauseam in these threads)

2) the T is still making zero effort whatsoever to get commuter rail on Charlie...period...let alone facilitate the types of free transfer options that give such a pingback service all of its supposed utility. I would think this is impossible until they start offering tap-on/tap-off timed transfer options covering some (maybe not all, but some) of these similar scenarios:
-- Silver-to-rapid transit free timed transfers at all the stops where SL Washington or SL SS surface are upstairs and the subway is downstairs.
-- free timed transfers between SL Gateway and the Eastern Route DMU @ Chelsea
-- free timed transfers @ Forest Hills or Ruggles from Needham to Orange as some consolation for the outer neighborhoods who are shut out from the Indigo network by Needham's and the NEC's capacity limitations for adding any more service
-- free timed transfers Cleveland Circle-Reservoir and Brookline Village-Riverway between nearby Green branches.

...and so on. Take a pick-'em--highest priority being all the Silver-served stops outside of fare control--of all the direct transfers we were supposed to have ages ago. These Zone 1A stops being Indigoed on subway-equivalent fares have to have some transfer portability or basing them on assumptions of transfer traffic (for anything more than Yellow Line) doesn't wash. That's a gaping hole in the plan that they have to answer up-front. Otherwise it's just not useful unless you really do plan to run this Grand Junction dinky all the way from North Station to Riverside or North Station to the outermost limits of Zone 1A (I'm assuming that's New Balance in their plan, but it would probably have to be Newton Corner to fetch anything close to critical mass).

Nothing stopping them from building West just as a straight 2-track mainline island then leaving space for a second set of platforms + bolt-on extension to the concourse. Infilling a station at that location does have solid fundamentals when the cranes show up to build on Harvard land. But there's no point to even talking about the Grand Junction until they answer both questions: is it even physically possible at the desired frequencies, and where's the follow-through on CR Charlie and integrating the outside-of-prepayment transfer options we were supposed to have a decade ago?

This is why I'm skeptical of them talking out both sides of mouth in a campaign season about the fiscal vice grip they're in on executing this plan on one hand...and newly revealed feature creep at this station on the other hand. Too much blabbing about the physical plant, but still near-zero about operations and fare structure.

MassDOT is hosting a public meeting on Thursday, September 18 at 6:30pm at the Jackson Mann School (500 Cambridge St, Allston).

https://www.facebook.com/events/286085894910598

Really important to have a lot of people show up, especially if you feel like Charlie_mta and I and are "disappointed in the timid approach that MASSDOT seems to be taking" and hope to see a "a bold and unified urban plan."

So...still playing both sides of the coin in an election year?

"We have no money to build West Station."

"We're going to build an even bigger West Station!"

That wasn't what they said, as numerous people that were at the meeting pointed out on this board. They said that the MassDOT Highway budget did not have money allocated for West Station (which makes sense because it's a highway budget). The media ran wild with this and claimed MassDOT as a whole had no money for it. MassDOT indicated West Station would be from the MBTA budget which is still being evaluated.

Perhaps they are only planning a single track because they figure they cannot get more than one DMU per hour through the Grand Junction anyhow.

Although, I would like to see frequent service along the inner-Framingham line most of all; GJ may never be frequent.

I asked them to bring MBTA service planners next time to talk about what they are thinking for serving "West Station" and what implications that has for physical layout. I'm afraid they are backing off on frequent, rapid-transit like service. That will be a huge mistake, especially if folks want this to be the "next Kendall Square" or something like that. They are already trying to completely ditch any notion of north/south buses crossing the tracks here: so much for "Harvard <--> LMA".

They can't even do meaningful number of Worcester expresses passing Framingham locals because the only crossovers between the west end of Beacon Park and Framingham are at Wellesley Farms. All of the service increases today are just filling out freed up capacity on the outer half with single-file extensions of old Framingham turns to Worcester and packing the slots freed up by freights. There's no way to layer another full-time service pattern on top without a total do-over of 20 miles and 9 figures worth of switches and signals out to Framingham. Not including fixing the Newton single-platforms bottleneck. The constrained Framingham/Worcester margins won't even support introductory short-turns from Track 61 or the Grand Junction to West/New Balance with the accrued bottlenecks the trains have to keep schedule through from Allston to Framingham. Forget about Riverside for starters...this affects anything.

If that's equivalent level of track-only funding to what was cumulatively spent on the Fitchburg Line...what's their plan for funding that? This is a more important consideration than the station steel + concrete and the DMU vehicle purchase. And arguably as costly as double-tracking Springfield to Worcester for Amtrak Inland restoration--which is part of the transportation bill--because of the signal replacement needed here but not out there. Not one word. Lots of bluster about shiny new steel and concrete, and shiny new vehicles. No level of evolving detail about what it entails getting them from Point A to Point B at what frequency.

Yeah...there needs to be a very big pivot here in future meetings about the meat-and-potatoes of the service plan and what dirty work is required to execute on it. There has to be a big pivot to how the fare structure is going to work when commuter rail is out-of-step with integration to the other modes and non-prepayment transfers still aren't possible. And I'm not convinced without a lot more substantive answers that the Fairmount DMU's are going to demonstrably execute on the original Fairmount study's service plan given how painfully far short of natural push-pull levels they're still running today. Fairmount's current schedule is only 6 more local-stop round trips than what the Foxboro CR study would've sent down the Fairmount...making all stops...with push-pulls...on top of the clock-facing runs. Why should anyone believe that the only thing holding it back is a thus-far still theoretical vehicle type or finishing Blue Hill Ave. construction when they are done with all headway-limiting line construction, nothing's happening at Blue Hill, and they have the biggest glut of surplus equipment onhand in decades? The crippled single-track Old Colony main takes more TPH at tighter spacing than Fairmount. Why are we still waiting for a service launch?

The expensive shiny thing and end-to-end travel time doesn't make the service...the service levels, connectivity, and fare equity makes the service. If the service plan isn't there and executed on, the shiny thing has no value other than aesthetics and purely incidental/niche convenience. Stop talking in a vacuum about steel, concrete, rolling stock, and colors on a spider map and start talking about service. That is the one and only interest the riding public has in this thing, and they know damn well when their fearless leaders are avoiding the subject.

Youze guyz is avoiding it bigtime.

The DOT is mostly focused on the shiny things to them (ie. concrete pouring): big new highway ramps and viaducts, a storage railyard, a new station perhaps, ped/bike overpasses. They don't seem very interested in the stuff that will actually fill those spaces created: buildings, parks, transit service. They like to repeat over and over that they aren't doing any land use planning every time we bring it up. And now I wonder if they are doing anything decent in the way of service planning.

F-Line - if I understand you correctly, you're arguing that DMUs anywhere on the Worcester line is essentially a pipe dream because of impossible service constraints, and that running the Grand Junction is also a pipe dream because of grade crossings?

MBTA.jpg

Still would be nice if there were more interconnections to the north of Boston so you don't have to go into the downtown region just to get off the commuter rail or Amtrak heading from Haverhill/New Hampshire to take another commuter rail lets say heading towards Worcester. South of Boston has tons of inter-connections to avoid having to travel through the center of Boston. North you have to goto Park Street/DTX for quick inter-connections.

Watertown? don't you folks want rapid transit by now? You folks could agitate for one along with Belmont.

Last edited:

F-Line - if I understand you correctly, you're arguing that DMUs anywhere on the Worcester line is essentially a pipe dream because of impossible service constraints, and that running the Grand Junction is also a pipe dream because of grade crossings?

Grand Junction, no. I very much doubt it, based on the traffic modeling around the crossings in the Worcester-NS study. The traffic queue impacts and gate times of 5 morning inbound runs, 5 evening outbound runs, zero off-peak except same-old freight round-trip and non-revenue equipment swaps were spelled out to the nines in the study. The difference between that service threshold deemed tolerable for rush hour queues on Mass Ave./Main/Broadway and for all affected bus routes at those crossings...and the service threshold of all-day DMU's is astronomical. Just pull up a calculator and start feeding TPH numbers through the gate timings and it collapses instantly in a heap. Either the original study was pants-on-fire wrong (I doubt it...it was a favorable rec) or the state's new assumptions are naive beyond belief. Since the study provides real testable math very much in line with what you see in any transit study and any real-world traffic counts around a crossing...I'm inclined to trust arithmetic over napkin sketches of ponies.

----------------------------------------------------------

DMU's on the Worcester Line most definitely are realistic if they do the upgrade work. Worcester Line has tons of unused native capacity. It's just handicapped by the inflexibility for passing ops and the speed limit imposed by the signal system. And fixing that is a big expense to swallow without the sort of fed stimulus help they were gifted for the almost-finished Fitchburg Line re-signaling.

-- Everything has to run single-file, meaning there are only a few opportunities per day for a Worcester express to make brisk time without getting stuck behind a Framingham local. It either passes at Yawkey, Route 128, or not at all. This is why there aren't distinct express service patterns to Worcester all day long at predictable intervals. They cram them in when they've got an opening, but it's not frequency you can easily plan around.

-- When an outbound is running to Newton on the inbound track to reach those single platforms, absolutely nothing moves inbound between Wellesley Farms and Beacon Park unless it hits an opportunity on-the-button to switch to the outbound track (i.e. a 'wrong-rail' inbound passes a 'wrong-rail' outbound).

-- Given how low the inherent OTP margins are for Worcester, if something blows its window of opportunity for such precious few passing spots, it holds for a very very long time and gets very very late. And that's why when Worcester's late, it's late by a LOT. There's no in-between.

-- Obviously very few trains can stop in Newton at all because of this.

-- The outer half of the line does have modern cab signaling installed in the late-80's, and 4 sets of crossovers installed by the T during the mid-90's when service past Framingham resumed. It is being upgraded to FRA Class 4, which will allow 80 MPH speeds on the straighter portions. Doesn't involve any shovels-in-ground construction, just higher class of track upkeep and some minor re-timings. Work is ongoing, modestly improved travel times + a couple new trains will show up next year on a new set of schedules without any pre-announcement fanfare.

-- No such luck on the inner half of the line. It's shitty old Automatic Block Signals (ABS) which are capped at 60 MPH, and a royal pain to install more crossovers with the inflexibility of that system. Blame the state for not thinking ahead in the early 60's when the line was rebuilt inside 128 for the Pike and busted down from 4 to 2 tracks out to Framingham. Boston & Albany took a wad of unsupervised cash from the Turnpike Authority for their troubles, and installed the absolute-minimum afterthought system they could get away with. It would be easier for the state to just rip it all out and replace fresh with cab signals than try to shiv a bunch of new crossovers into the existing system or try to get their Amtrak-derived PTC system to mesh with it well enough to raise speeds. This same PTC system has run on the cab signaled Providence Line for 13 years and is damn near bulletproof there, but has never before been attempted on a non- cab signal line before. And--terryifying thought--the T is the only East Coast passenger carrier tasked with being guinea pigs for the never-designed cabless variant (thanks to the northside). So if it has limitations, Worcester's OTP could get an additional kick in the shins that becomes unresolvable until they do fund a rip-out/rebuild...after they broke it, reactively, and for way more money.

-- Because of the capacity discrepancy, you can only add so much by speeding up the outer half when everything has to run single-file on the inner half. Eventually the bunching either hits a ceiling or degrades OTP. And you can pretty much never increase service at the Newton stops until the platforms and crossover bottleneck is solved.

-- Theoretically you can add service short-turning at New Balance because of the 3 crossovers between the BBY tunnel and Everett St., so long as it doesn't go further (and going further is present-day moot because there's not even a crossover for getting onto the Riverside spur from the outbound track...new installation there is mandatory). But because the OTP margins are so incredibly thin all the way out to Worcester and any train missing its schedule slot into a crossover movement automatically goes catastrophically late...there's no way to maintain those Framingham/Worcester OTP margins with trains turning at West or New Balance. Even if 95% of the DMU vs. Worcester/Framingham train meets go off without a hitch between SS and NB...at 48 Worcester/Framingham trains per day and 240 per workweek, it only takes whiffing on a few of those meets--with the ensuing catastrophic delays bunching all the way back--to ruin it for everyone.

Therefore, this isn't going to work at all without redoing the whole 21 miles to Framingham with regularly-spaced crossovers and a signal system that can handle those traffic levels. Do that and you can pretty much have a Worcester super-express running every 30 mins. at peak and reaching Union Station in under an hour, a Framingham local running every 20 mins. at peak, those 5 directional peak trips from Worcester to North Station, an Amtrak movement every 2 hours, and some DMU running every 15 minutes in each direction.

So, say you have a track layout like this, with the missing double-track through Beacon Park filled, the 3 Newton stops properly rebuilt, and all of the line properly signaled for 80 MPH ops.

1. South Station
2. (NEC split)
3. Back Bay
4. (Yawkey-area crossovers)
5. Yawkey
6. (Beacon Park east crossovers + split to layover yard)
7. West (mainline platform, Grand Junction platform, passing track)
8. (Beacon Park west crossovers, Grand Junction split)
9. New Balance (mainline platform + passing track)
10. Newton Corner
11. (new crossovers)
12. Newtonville
13. West Newton
14. (new crossovers)
15. Auburndale
16. (Riverside Jct., crossovers relocated from Wellesley Farms to serve line split)

And then add a couple more sets between Riverside and Framingham placed around the most likely meet points for trains running express to overtake the locals. Depends on which of the 3 Wellesleys and which of the 2 Naticks gets skipped most often. No changes to the layout between Framingham and Worcester, which is well within capacity. And maybe widely-spaced sets for Amtrak every dozen miles or so to pass freights on the doubled-tracked Inland Route between the existing sets west of Worcester Union and east of Springfield Union. No tri-tracking needed like on the NEC because there isn't an extreme speed differential between shared traffic (and less so with the slowest overlap closest to the terminal), just a lot of resiliency and flexibility for nimble passing on varied train schedules.

Not hard. But like I said in the last post, if there isn't another shoe to drop about how they're going to fund those track/signal upgrades needed for all services to coexist, it's a nonstarter. If they don't have a service plan for executing nimble ops--like they've made zero effort to roll out on Fairmount within tolerances of their current unused line and vehicle capacity--it doesn't matter how nice a monument they build at West or how awesome those DMU's are to ride. It's going to be too infrequent and inflexible a service to draw passengers, it's going to bleed system-worst operating money and look like a total white elephant on capital expenditure. And if they don't touch the fare system to embrace transfer connectivity, there isn't a compelling reason to use it when the same old Red-to-Green slog gets you there at half the price and roll-dice odds of an on-time trip.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree that they need to fix the tracks through Newton, etc. I'm hoping that forcing them to reveal their service planning will either (a) show that they have no plans for anything useful in terms of frequency and connections or, (b) reveal that they do have something coming down the pike (!).

My guess is (a).

Of course, they should really be expediting these Framingham line improvements so that something is in place before the heavy construction work begins on the major portions of the interchange, and when there's a ton of people looking for a good alternative.

Heard word that MBTA is studying a proposal for West Station that would put in 2 platforms serving 2 mainline tracks, 1 DMU track serving Grand Junction, and 1 full clearance freight track to the side. Plus enough storage space for 18 consists of 8 pax + 1 loco.

They still think they're running DMUs on Grand Junction through Cambridge huh?

Still would be nice if there were more interconnections to the north of Boston so you don't have to go into the downtown region just to get off the commuter rail or Amtrak heading from Haverhill/New Hampshire to take another commuter rail lets say heading towards Worcester. South of Boston has tons of inter-connections to avoid having to travel through the center of Boston. North you have to goto Park Street/DTX for quick inter-connections.

Watertown? don't you folks want rapid transit by now? You folks could agitate for one along with Belmont.

Belmont?! They're the last town that will agitate for rapid transit. Against it sure, but not for it. Forget about Belmont, Watertown's better off hoping for the GL out of Porter down the Watertown Branch someday in the mid to far future.

Back