Infill and Small Developments | Portland

Serious question since this windowless affordable unit has been "retained by the developers" - does Portland require them to be occupied or just built?
This probably means that the developers will rent out the unit, instead of trying to sell it. In other projects it's been hard to find condo buyers who are eligible for the city's affordability requirements and willing to accept the deed restrictions to keep them affordable for future buyers.

Keep forgetting to post this redevelopment on Howard St on Munjoy - currently in progress

Demolished building:

asdgtaedfgasdfg.png

New building:

aergadsfgasdf.png

awerstgadfgasdf.png

aerfgaergadfg.png

Keep forgetting to post these photos of the redevelopment on Presumscot St W / Front St. I was too lazy to get out of the car, so they aren't great, but in the end this is going to be a good looking development. I appreciate that they haven't gone crazy with lime green accents, just some tasteful texture changes - I thought it was Kaplan Thompson at first, but looking close at the sign it looks like the architect is Utile.

Whenever these were taken I think they had broken ground on the townhouses/condos on the other side of Front St.

iuagwehlifkjgasdf.jpg

iutagsdbjflgkjasdf.jpg

uoygasbdlkjfgasdf.jpg

Didn't realize there's a proposal to convert 20k of office space at 178 Middle St into a 19 room hotel. Masonry repair on the building I think is already underway, glad to see they're returning the street level frontage to (what I assume was) original form or at least matching "historic precedent", including exposing the cast iron columns on the BSB and Stonewall units.

oiuqwgehfliugasdkf.jpg

Didn't realize there's a proposal to convert 20k of office space at 178 Middle St into a 19 room hotel. Masonry repair on the building I think is already underway, glad to see they're returning the street level frontage to (what I assume was) original form or at least matching "historic precedent", including exposing the cast iron columns on the BSB and Stonewall units.
It's been wrapped for quite a while, I was wondering why.

I definitely agree that there's still more parking than necessary in this proposal, but the project is being built on what is an existing surface parking lot that has 40-something parking spaces, so it is giving us a net reduction in parking.

I definitely agree that there's still more parking than necessary in this proposal, but the project is being built on what is an existing surface parking lot that has 40-something parking spaces, so it is giving us a net reduction in parking.

Yup, the parking lot shaded in darker gray in the above plan is an existing lot, not a new one.

1684349595568.png

This is an interesting project in Tempe, AZ - " The first car-free neighborhood built from scratch in the US!" - https://culdesac.com/

1684349852679.png

Portland could handle multiple projects like this in East Bayside - it would provide additional opportunities for Lyft/Uber careers, and provide more affordable housing not requiring the expense of land and construction of garages. Makes too much sense.

Two structures - an 11 unit and a 3 unit - proposed for 246 Eastern Promenade:

wergeasdrrfgaergr.jpg

rthsdfhsdgfghsdfg.jpg

werywe5r7ywergdafs.jpg

These would replace a parking lot and one existing structure that has 12 efficiency and one bedroom units - so net gain is actually just 2 units (and I doubt the new units will be priced the same as the old ones)

w45ywretyhgaerdgfasdf.jpg

These would replace a parking lot and one existing structure that has 12 efficiency and one bedroom units - so net gain is actually just 2 units (and I doubt the new units will be priced the same as the old ones)

View attachment 38044

I lived around the corner from this building about 17-18 years ago and dreamed of buying it and adding two floors.

Last edited:
Is this right next to that modern looking green and white building that you see right before Maine Med driving on Congress St?

Back