Infill and Small Developments | Portland

Your eyes do not deceive, this is indeed the 2nd version of the fire stairs. It looks like a fair amount of manual labor to build these on site, so must have had some unfixable issue with the first one they built.
I feel bad for absolutely everyone involved in rebuilding it (and paying for rebuilding it).

Those of us who remember when India St. was the home of Port City Auto Glass, Jordan's Meats and Eddie's Shamrock Cafe, not to mention when the building that houses Tomaso's was the only market in town that sold horse meat, may be justly surprised at this new-build single family going for what it is. Not that they haven't built a magnificent house, of course.

Those of us who remember when India St. was the home of Port City Auto Glass, Jordan's Meats and Eddie's Shamrock Cafe, not to mention when the building that houses Tomaso's was the only market in town that sold horse meat, may be justly surprised at this new-build single family going for what it is. Not that they haven't built a magnificent house, of course.
Let's not forget the Italian restaurant tucked behind Micucci's!

34 Hampshire Street – only $9,927/month at our current 7% mortgage rates (presuming you've got $330K in cash to pay a 20% down payment) – and 1/4 of the square footage is an unfinished parking space.

But check out the backyard views of some HVAC exhaust fans!
default.jpg

Good luck finding a buyer!

For that price I'd rather stay in the West End with this new construction on Salem Street, asking price only $1.7M. Not the most attractive design in my opinion (and I have no issue with modern buildings) but might have better views than the house on Hampshire Street.

From Zillow:

94511d19822035e91eb81aa8a7cf96e2-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.webp

cec117c54528a9e544083c0302d907ac-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.webp

The place is okay, a bit cold in it's design but it would be like living in a fish bowl with that apartment building directly behind you. This place offers zero privacy.

More proof 1 Commercial redevelopment isn't dead yet - public HPB hearing on it scheduled for the next meeting. Looks like they aren't proposing any changes over the (approved) 2019 plans. Looks like commercial/retail on first floor, office on 2/3, and residential on 4.

o87uy7agtweouirgalsdrf.png

I can live with the 2019 plans and will be pleased to see this building finally transformed. The building that houses Geno's Rock Club on Congress Street and Hub Furniture on Fore are the next two eyesores on my list to be renovated!

Last edited:
I can live with the 2019 plans and will be pleased to see this building finally transformed. The building that houses Geno's Rock Club on Congress Street and Hub Furniture on Fore are the next two eyesores on my list to be renovated!
More like rip down Geno's entirely and use that full lot. But the Hub Furniture building is gorgeous and worth the renovation.

More like rip down Geno's entirely and use that full lot. But the Hub Furniture building is gorgeous and worth the renovation.
I think the Hub Furniture building as a careful restoration would be great. I'd do it as a boutique hotel. Look what's across the street: Fore Street restaurant. Can't beat that.

Some nice goods and views to be found in Hub Furniture. Here are a couple of photos I took a few weeks ago while looking for a coffee table and a bench with built in shore storage space.
B2F4DCF7-03BA-4E90-8F01-DB28D52FDDBA.jpeg
4823AFB6-02A1-4BE9-B442-DE99A2F1F305.jpeg

Several years ago, there was a conceptual plan for Genos, an apartment building at least 10 stories. As for the Hub furniture property in Portland, Sam Novick has received several offers for the property. I doubt he will sell unless the kids want to sell. With the Westbrook location, they could consolidate. I believe when 100 Middle was being developed, there was a building designed or conceptual design for the parking lot.

Sam and his wife are very gracious and I've bought my fair share of furniture from them over the years. I've asked Sam numerous times if he could take the profits from my purchases and replace a few of the broken windows at a time and he would just chuckle. I do think his kids will continue to be involved with the business moving forward. Geno's could use a low interest facade improvement loan from the city and remove the crushed rock and black spray paint motif and you are correct about the idea of an 8 story apartment building next to Burnham Arms back in the 90's if I have my decade correct.

Good pics. All that scaffolding makes me think of the 4 years I lived in midtown Manhattan. Many buildings have scaffolding, and some still do after years. Why? The city requires periodic inspections and many buildings need facade repairs. The costs can run into the millions, so some leave the scaffolding up. It's nice during the rain when you wait for an Uber, or don' t have to worry about being hit by falling debris on the top of your head when walking past. A few years ago a prominent female architect was killed in the Upper West Side by a chunk of falling masonry. I know, ironic. After that, the city got even tougher.

Looks like they're doing some historic restorations on the Middle street buildings. Changing the windows from basic rectangles back to the proper shape, replacing some decorative pillar bits at the bottom, changing the doors, etc. Pretty cool to see.

Came across a listing on Zillow today for 106 Cumberland Ave, looks like a renovation of the existing building - but in the rendering there is also a new building to the right where there are currently some small buildings and a parking lot on the corner of Cumberland and Washington Ave:
1669051204459.png

Back