Infill and Small Developments | Portland

Yeah they gutted the Cumberland ave one to the core. Kinda cool to see at night . Not sure we’ve heard about the lot next to it. It was kinda sad when that barbershop came down years ago

I haven't been over there recently, but as far as I can tell, those two small buildings on the lot next door are going to be demolished soon.

1669063145966.png

It would be nice to have something more substantial on that corner, an improvement over gas stations and parking lots.

That existing triple decker (quad decker?) Is already in the midst of renovation, so I assume whatever plan is in the works for that parcel is fairly imminent.

This would be a great parcel for a mid-density mixed-use infill building!

Portland developer builds novel live-work units

I'm not sure it's novel - and will probably be very expensive to lease - but on the other hand, I'm glad to see someone is putting money into renovating 482 Congress. Two units right now on the third floor, two more soon on the second.

View attachment 31526

View attachment 31527View attachment 31528
Are there other buildings like this in town that have upper floor vacancies that could be renovated? I thought there was an article about this a few years ago, but they're expensive to renovate because of window and egress requirements. With housing at a premium, you'd think there'd be more incentive to fix these buildings up.

Are there other buildings like this in town that have upper floor vacancies that could be renovated? I thought there was an article about this a few years ago, but they're expensive to renovate because of window and egress requirements. With housing at a premium, you'd think there'd be more incentive to fix these buildings up.
"The conversions and improvements have cost just over $2 million to date."

It may add housing stock, but will only be affordable by the very top.

Haven't had a chance to stop and snap a photo but it is nice to see the fencing at the Congress Square intersection finally come down.

This was pictured in this MaineBiz article:

A Munjoy Hill condo development is a modest yet welcomed contribution to Portland housing supply

The Solaris, at 130 Morning St., has just seven units, including one unit designated for workforce housing. All six of the larger units are sold; the affordable housing unit has been retained by the developers.

MaineHousing has estimated that the state needs between 20,000 to 25,000 units of affordable housing, so it will likely be a long process to meet that goal. Yet with much of the need concentrated in the Portland area, each additional housing unit is being hailed as a step forward, as the developer and local officials said at a ribbon cutting this week for the Solaris.

So basically this article is applauding 1 additional unit of affordable housing. The rest of it was ultra expensive.

This whole thing (Solaris) to me is an SNL skit, if they were to do one on architecture, being green, and housing. All it needs is a buffoon being interviewed on local television hailing its beautiful design, reducing the carbon footprint, and solving the housing crisis.

Last edited:
This whole thing (Solaris) to me is an SNL skit, if they were to do one on architecture, being green, and housing. All it needs is a buffoon being interviewed on local television hailing its beautiful design, reducing the carbon footprint, and solving the housing crisis.
"...and with this the housing crisis is one step closer to being solved! Due to our hard work, the state now only needs 19,999 to 24,999 more units of affordable housing! You're welcome!"

Serious question since this windowless affordable unit has been "retained by the developers" - does Portland require them to be occupied or just built?

Back