Ink Block (Boston Herald) | 300 Harrison Avenue | South End

There are buildings 4, 5, and 6?

Yes, there are three more buildings planned for the site (planned, but not approved).

They show in the site master plan, along Albany Street. They will sit between the two new roads that cut across the site from Harrison to Albany. They will likely be taller than the current buildings, similar to the Troy next door, to shield the site from I-93.

Here's what I've seen of the site plan.
Final-Rendered-Aerial-with-Labels.jpg

And Sepia with a 'sense' of what 5 Ink could look like down the street
Sepia-at-Ink-Block.jpg

PS, does anyone know if the rooftop pool has been nixed?? I heard from a realtor friend of mine that it may not be built.

^ I have seen a plan that includes an Ink 6 at the corner of Herald and Albany.

It's a shame they left Harrison Ave as a suburban arterial. At the very least you can add a planted median and give it the feeling of the other London Square streets throughout the South End. I know that is probably outside the scope of the project; maybe the city can wise up.

It's a shame they left Harrison Ave as a suburban arterial. At the very least you can add a planted median and give it the feeling of the other London Square streets throughout the South End. I know that is probably outside the scope of the project; maybe the city can wise up.

The city has plans circulating to narrow the road, they had a public meeting about it. Ink Block was designed to move the curb in anticipation of ripping out the median.

Do we have any idea what the two new streets will be called? I'm really hoping they call them Rochester and Oswego Streets after the original New York streets that bisected that block in the same general locations. I would also love to see Traveler Street changed back to Troy Street.

They aren't really streets but rather driveways that are designed to break up the site.

They aren't really streets but rather driveways that are designed to break up the site.

I believe that the BRA eventually wants them to be streets, once they go all the way through. That is currently blocked by the parcels along Albany that the developer does not own. (This was expressed in some meetings related to the project.)

Are they sealing off the spur into the property from the NEC? Just wondering how they handle that? Seal it off and then one day the bridge on Herald St will be removed and it gets filled in?

Driving by on 93 with my boyfriend, who's not into urban planning like I am, and he said "those look nice, why aren't they taller?" - Saw the Albany Street project next door, assumed they were part of the same project and said, "see, they went tall there! why not the others?"

As glad as I am to see this development moving right along, he's totally right, at least where the plot abuts the highway, they should have gone taller.

I love the ink block signage. Had no idea that was coming. It's very unique.

Whole Foods plans in-store spa at Ink Block site

For supermarket honchos who think it doesn’t get any better than in-store banking, Whole Foods is about to eat your lunch.

The health-conscious grocery chain will unveil its first-ever spa inside its new 50,000-square-foot flagship market opening in the South End’s Ink Block on the former site of the Boston Herald in the new year.

“It’s more about getting both done at the same time, versus a day at the spa,” said regional president for Whole Foods, Laura Derba.

“We are always looking for something that is innovative, exciting and fun and our customers and consumers today really want convenience. Other grocery stores have banks in them, so it’s really about convenience,” she said.

The spa is a collaboration with Milk + Honey, an Austin-based spa and salon chain, which will operate the site. The Milk + Honey product line will be sold at Whole Foods starting early next month.

“I think that a spa is not a luxury, it should be part of everyone’s regular habits, like grocery shopping ... it will be more convenient and accessible to people now,” said Alissa Bayer, co-owner of Milk + Honey with her husband, Shon.

Whole Foods “approached us, we weren’t really looking for opportunities outside of Austin but Whole Foods’ values and our values are so aligned that it was such an easy decision to say yes to them,” added Bayer.

Newton-based National Development’s Ink Block complex also includes three apartment buildings that are pre-leasing. Boston Herald Publisher Patrick J. Purcell, who sold the site to National Development, is a minority investor.

The spa is slated to open with the new store in January. It will offer facials, waxing, pedicures, manicures, hot shave services and shoe shines.

Boston Herald

Back