Jamaica Plain Infill and Small Developments

The vacant lot at 55 Green Street sold:

55 Green Street

On February 4th, 2016, the vacant lot located at 55 Green Street in Boston Jamaica Plain neighborhood was sold to D&S Green Street LLC for $510,000. The 4,210 square foot lot was last sold in 1998 for $65,000. Sale deeds are posted...

This would be a great place for dense infill. Centrally located 0.2 mile walk to Centre Street and 0.2 mile walk to Green Street Station. It is surrounded by some great housing stock, too. And the neighborhood is very nice and in-demand. Hopefully they don't disappoint. I'd like to see a <0.7 parking/unit development.

A multi-parcel sale to a developer, according to bldup:

South at McBride

Mar 17, 2016

Three Jamaica Plain parcels at the intersection of South and McBride streets were sold today to area developer The Ballas Group for a total of $1,950,000. The parcels represent a total of 12,107 square feet of land area. Two of the parcels, 118-120 South Street and 5-9 McBride Street, are located adjacent to one another representing a total of 6,216 square feet of land area. A third 5,891 square foot parcel, 16 McBride Street, is located across the street. Maps of the parcels are posted further below.

The Ballas Group has developed residential projects in Jamaica Plain, South Boston and Newton. The seller of the three parcels was Gate Realty Trust of West Roxbury. The three parcels last sold in 1997 for $135,000 and are located steps to the Forest Hills transit center and Southwest Corridor Park.

Continue Reading at bldup.com

This would be a great area for a dense, urban, multi-story, mixed-use development. Less than a half-mile walk to Forest Hills Station, too.

That is definitely JP. I like it. The buildings it would replace are quite ugly and under utilized. Washington Street is going crazy. At 44 units this would only be the 3rd or 4th biggest project on Washington Street in JP.

I know there will be argument about whether this is JP or not, but here are the pnf & figures for 3353 Washington.

pnf - http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/0e171e39-76d4-47ba-98ad-3547167e4993

figures only -http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/45681961-597b-4dd4-8095-be6201f43a2e

Not too shabby. I like the massing & roofline! Unique.

145xkPYh.png

2EnybLfh.png

WqxHIQ4h.png

sqoXmdKh.png

MnBq1l3h.png

GUtlb03h.png

First of all: definitely JP, in my opinion.

Second of all:

The proposed project will include approximately 44 residential units, 24 surface parking spaces at the rear of the building, and associated landscaping improvements, as well as streetscape improvements along Washington and Green Streets

Good density. Close to transit. Approximately 0.5 parking spots/unit. Good urbanity. Ground floor retail. This is a good project on all fronts!

Nice Massing! And use of materials to lessen the sense of scale.
I would prefer to see only one entrance to the parking and not have one through the building - it would help improve Green St.

While most development over here is good news, I kinda like the scale and use of the existing buildings. They are 2-3 stories with small storefronts and overhead apartments/offices. There's a lot of vacant lots and run down single story storefronts over here that I'd rather see go over this.

I think this is the most appealing project I've seen posted on this board since I joined. Echoes the best aspects of Bauhaus but is still contemporary. Meshes very well with the surrounding street fabric while still standing out nicely. Great blend of asymmetry and repeating features. Just delightful in my opinion...

76 Stonely Road

Small Project Review: http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/929f566b-09b2-4148-ac44-19f2bcb9c1ca

Project Description:
Located at 76 Stonley Road in Boston’s Jamaica Plain neighborhood, the project
contemplates the demolition of an existing one story commercial structure in order to
construct a 4/5-story 31 residential units with parking area below containing 23 parking
spaces. The proposed project will include six (6) one bedroom units, twenty (23) two
bedroom units and two (2) three bedroom units. The existing structure has no historic
or architectural significance to the surrounding neighborhood. They presence actually
detracts from the neighborhood.

The proposed structure will contain approximately 40,940 square feet of gross floor
area, with 31 residential units located on four/five levels. Four (4) of the units, with an
additional unit, dedicated by the developers, Five (5), will be designated affordable
(18%) pursuant to the City of Boston Inclusionary Development Policy. In what it will
hopefully be a corner stone for the Stonley Road neighborhood, the building has been
designed and modified with input from the neighbors through community outreach.
The following synopsis of the unit square footage and mix of unit type within the
proposed building:

Type Quantity
Market Rental Units – One (1) Bedroom 4
Market Rental Units – Two (2) Bedroom 21
Market Rental Units – Three (3) Bedroom 1
BRA Restricted Affordable Units – One (1) bedrooms 2
BRA Restricted Affordable Units – Two (2) bedrooms 2
BRA Restricted Affordable Units – Three (3) bedrooms 1

Render:

9drlPLK.png

Locus:

AktLhut.png

Plans & Elevations:

6ftQ7Gl.png

X7ZFwOf.png

PYEXzXm.png

tbRar9p.png

^
There's been a project proposed back here for quite a while that has been stuck in negotiations with the neighbors. Not sure if it's this one or a separate project on a different dead end

What neighbors? It seems to be a residential island in a sea of mbta property.

What neighbors? It seems to be a residential island in a sea of mbta property.

I'd assume it's the people who live in that neighborhood nearby (Brookley Rd/Plainfield St) that are throwing the usual fits about traffic.

Build it. We need more housing in JP. 31 units, 23 parking spaces seems about right for the area: a 10 minute walk from Forest Hills, and a 3 minute walk to the 42 bus. Not to mention this is in the pilot neighborhood for the "slow streets" program and is a couple blocks from the SW Corridor.

With 3 projects surrounding it the MBTA bus yard needs to go. I believe they were supposed to turn over part of the property along Washington Street for development years ago but nothing has happened. Its an eye sore and a bad use of land as is.

Back