Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

Honestly I don't mind the Whoop sign but with it and the Citgo sign maybe Kenmore can get more tacky/lit signs to make it a "thing"

it's a shame that from the era of relatively bountiful neon signage in kenmore, the lone holdover is CITGO, rather than the white fuel sign over hotel buckminster. that one was cool.

Students express disapproval as new Kenmore Square building slowly covers iconic BU Citgo sign
1634844652926.jpeg

https://dailyfreepress.com/2021/10/...-building-slowly-covers-iconic-bu-citgo-sign/

Hard hitting journalism right there. "Without the sign, I might get lost!" Oookay.

I love the WHOOP.
That was a pretty valid issue when I was there -- stumbling back to the dorm, drunk in the middle of the night was greatly facilitated by the CITGO sign and Prudential. Now both are less visible due to this building and the Four Seasons. Then again, the residential campus has substantially shifted away from Kenmore, so....

keeping a stupid giant neon (yeah yeah -- i know it's LEDs now) advertisement for an oil company controlled by a wildly corrupt and cruel government in order to help "facilitate" the late-night return trips of drunken BU kids after a night on the town would be a weak argument even by the Freep's standards. BU may not attract the very best and brightest, but presumably anyone who gained acceptance is clever enough to figure out how to navigate a small city -- even at night and somewhat impaired.

Last edited:
Some students brought up the possibility of moving the Citgo sign upward to afford passers-by up and down Commonwealth Ave. an unobstructed view of the sign once more.

Please, no.

I remember the old Cities Service sign that was there before the Citgo sign, pre-1965. I thought it was cooler than the current Citgo sign:

citiesservicesign-1488985995.jpg

I've probably said it before, but I'm going to say it again.

Just tear down that sign and put up something that says "Welcome to Boston" or "Boston Red Sox" or something related to the city. We don't need to advertise an oil company that is tied to the corrupt Venezuelan regime.

I've probably said it before, but I'm going to say it again.

Just tear down that sign and put up something that says "Welcome to Boston" or "Boston Red Sox" or something related to the city. We don't need to advertise an oil company that is tied to the corrupt Venezuelan regime.
I always just assumed it was a nice Morgan Shepherd shoutout.

Back