Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

Anyways what happened to this? How did they already knock it down so fast... Honestly I don't think this version is bad.

I don't think either are as bad as what people are making them out to me on their own, but I agree the corner building should definitely stay. I think that is what is making it hated so much vs its actual design and I agree that building should be saved. Its not the most wonderful building, but its a part of Boston History. If they needed to I don't think it would be too bad if they knocked out some of that solid ground floor and added some glass and retail, then with the rest of the building built around it. Then you could still have that whole other side of the base of the building on the other side where the buildings over there a pieces of crap.

They're calling for a fair portion of the visibility of the Citgo Sign be preserved.

i'm sure someone felt that plan didn't meet the standard.

Shadows on the common or communist gas company signs are more important to the NIMBY's then preserving our historic urban fabric.

Agreed that the corner building should be preserved. It is loaded with character. I'm dating myself, but I also have fond memories of going to New England Music City - a great local record store that was located in that building for many years - to check out the latest record albums by the Beatles, the Moody blues and many others.

I like how they think they can incorporate a billboard onto the roof of the building.

My hound snout sniffs out a miserable dummy proposal, in comparison to which the actual drivel proposal will look like the Paris Opera House.

(I preferred the Cities Service and White Fuel signs to CITGO, but a Studebaker ain't walking in through that door.)

Globe: Here’s what the Citgo sign will look like on its new rooftop

Katheleen Conti said:
Renderings filed with the city Wednesday by the owner of a strip of six properties spanning Commonwealth Avenue and Beacon and Deerfield streets show a sleek eight-story glass building with parts of the top floors directly facing the base of the landmark sign.

The structure, which will be known as the “Commonwealth Building,” is one of two new office and retail buildings that will be added to the block by developer Related Beal.

The Commonwealth Building is set to replace the 6-story structure on the corner of Commonwealth and Deerfield Street that currently houses the City Convenience store, as well as the two buildings that housed the New England School of Photography and a Bertucci’s restaurant. Designed by Connecticut-based architect Roger Ferris + Partners, the building will feature a stair-like design with several floors set back in step-like fashion to ensure unobstructed views of the Citgo sign. The “steps” also would provide outdoor terrace space for office workers.

“We felt the corner building would stand out a little bit more on its own and we wanted that to have a more modern feel,” said Patrick Sweeney, senior vice president of Related Beal. “Outdoor terraces [were included] to ensure from several locations that the view corridors were maintained, and to create an interesting building design that wasn’t a square or block, that had some context to it.”

[...]

The Citgo sign building, which now is home to a Barnes & Noble bookstore, will undergo extensive interior renovations and will be attached to a new structure that will replace two buildings one now houses Cornwall’s pub and the other was once the site of Kenmore Optical. The Beacon Building would incorporate more glass into its design, a marked change from the existing brick-heavy structures. Combined with the Citgo sign building, the newly joined structures would have a total 143,000 square feet, including more than 110,000 square feet of office space and 18,000 square feet of retail.

[...]

Handout_10kenmore_02_met.jpg

This is modern Boston architectural deliberation in a nutshell. Get all riled up about a billboard high up in the air and ignore the irreplaceable street-level architecture being ruined around it.

Barf.

Last edited:
Oh agreed, this looks horrible, especially in context to the building that is currently there. Basic-looking and out-of-character with its surroundings. Also, I don't trust anyone who feels the need to stick a uhh.. what is that?.. a tiny propeller plane??.. to the render. :confused:

So what is there left to do? Raise ruckus during BPDA meetings?

Ok, I'll plead ignorance. What is wrong with this building. I don't love it, but it is better than the proposal that came out a month or so ago. Also, the building on the site now is nothing special. Most northeast cities are littered with buildings like that.

Ok, I'll plead ignorance. What is wrong with this building. I don't love it, but it is better than the proposal that came out a month or so ago. Also, the building on the site now is nothing special. Most northeast cities are littered with buildings like that.

The building isn't the issue. It's what they're tearing down for it.

So B&N at BU will be relocating. Any idea where?

This is pure guesswork, but either of the former Lesley/Art Institute buildings in Kenmore that BU now owns (one on Beacon towards the Pike, the other on Newbury) would both be suitable candidates if it wasn't the fact that both are particularly dreary stretches of street that would not look appealing to prospective students/parents. Though the Wheelock merger means that BU probably has more ability than ever to find some spare space.

That street corner must be saved.

That new render is what, the 4th blasphemous turd?

I usually think the outcries against new glass boxes are hyperbolic but not in this case. This is offensive.

What an utter disgrace. I mean - right in the middle of kenmore AND replacing a beautiful old building. I honestly don’t understand what the fuck these assholes are thinking, proposing such a piece of insulting garbage. Hopefully the city won’t roll over and just allow this, but they probably will... especially since BU has sucked up all neighboring private property so they’re isnt any private landholder to play NIMBY when they’re needed.

Why is there a driveway in Kenmore Square

This site is begging for a facade-ectomy plus added density in the interior of the block. Step back, build something semi contextual above the existing facades and call it a day. Why's it even worth building all that for such little height?

Since they're proposing this as commercial, which isn't one of Related's core businesses and using a couple of relatively low-caliber architectural firms, I wonder if they're planning to get this permitted then sell the project off to a commercial developer.

Back