Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

Wow this is horrible. Hopefully the BPDA grows a spine.

The building currently on the left corner should be saved. This is hideous.

Agreed. That type of fine grained, human-scaled urban building is impossible to build in modern Boston due to a complex rats nest of code, economics and building trends (both aesthetic and practical).

I understand that cities need to adapt and change over time, but it pains me when it happens in the more visible spots.

Boston needs a preservationist group that actually attempts to save buildings worth saving. There is no way in hell this building should be allowed to be demolished. It's not even worth discussing the giant freeway car dealership proposed here.

So, who do we email and when? Let's all make our opinion known like we did we with Winthrop Sq. I may be naive, but I think all those emails we sent made a difference with that project. Let's rinse and repeat.

So, who do we email and when? Let's all make our opinion known like we did we with Winthrop Sq. I may be naive, but I think all those emails we sent made a difference with that project. Let's rinse and repeat.

Agree. Let's also make this "campaign" extend beyond aB too. My guess is the Citgo sign/Kenmore has enough pull to get apathetic Bostonians to pay attention.

Nothing's been filed with the City beyond an LOI. The posted render came from marketing material, so it's possible that it's only a placeholder (fingers crossed).

The LOI does state that the developer plans on replacing the corner building, but we don't officially know yet what with. I'd hold off on emailing until something beyond a "letter of intent" is filed with the City.

The building currently on the left corner should be saved. This is hideous.
The current building is an ugly symbol of past capitalist oppression and ruling class exploitation of vastly underpaid worker drones. Tear down this classist horror and build rent-free people's housing now!

Count me in for any angry email campaign

And F BU for letting the corner classic fall apart for so long

And F BU for letting the corner classic fall apart for so long

i probably missed it and am too stupid/lazy to find it in previous posts: has it been said or determined that the current corner building is in disrepair and that's the reason for not rehabbing/repurposing it into any future developments on the site?

As seems to be a general consensus, at the very least the facade of that corner building is worth preserving compared to the options we have seen.

And to my thinking it would be better to replace the citgo sign with an equally sized video board that could display the citgo sign periodically for nostalgic fun, but could otherwise be used for advertising and public service announcements.

Permanently memorializing and advertising Citgo of all companies is insane.

And why limit it to keeping it in the exact same position? The current sign isn't even that old and has been replaced and upgraded multiple times over the years.

i probably missed it and am too stupid/lazy to find it in previous posts: has it been said or determined that the current corner building is in disrepair and that's the reason for not rehabbing/repurposing it into any future developments on the site?

Im just speaking to the condition of the facade, and looking through the glass on the front door.

it's like a less grand 4 charlesgate east. if the city allows this to be torn down -- regardless of what is suggested to replace it -- then someone(s) will really have dropped the ball. i'm amazed any developer is even allowed to think they might be able to knock this thing down.

They should call this Seaport West or Northpoint South instead. [/zing]

The existing building is a facedectomy waiting to happen. It should happen.

They should call this Seaport West or Northpoint South instead. [/zing]

The existing building is a facedectomy waiting to happen. It should happen.
Not a fan of façadectomies but in this case, yes.

Is the first two floors on that facade original? It doesn't look like it is.

The Eiffel Tower would like a word with you. Maybe the tallest in the USA? But certainly not the world

The Eiffel Tower is not a building its a monument.
1280px-Paris_Eiffel_092.JPG

Its also a tower, which means it has no guy wires and theres another category of tallest free standing structures as well. As far as a building its not counted in that category. The Burj Khalifa is the tallest building, tower, and free standing structure in the world all at the same time surpassing the KVLY tv mast in North Dakota which was the tallest structure in the world and it was not a free standing structure as it has guy wires.
800px-KVLY-TV_Mast_Tower_Wide.jpg

Both of these have since been surpassed by the Tokyo sky tree, Burj Khalifa obviously, Shanghai tower and a few others, although Im not sure it may still be the tallest guy wire supported structure. It has a twin but it is a bit smaller.

Anyways what happened to this? How did they already knock it down so fast... Honestly I don't think this version is bad.

I don't think either are as bad as what people are making them out to me on their own, but I agree the corner building should definitely stay. I think that is what is making it hated so much vs its actual design and I agree that building should be saved. Its not the most wonderful building, but its a part of Boston History. If they needed to I don't think it would be too bad if they knocked out some of that solid ground floor and added some glass and retail, then with the rest of the building built around it. Then you could still have that whole other side of the base of the building on the other side where the buildings over there a pieces of crap.

Back