Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

The sign, corrected as it should be:

51596272142_8d9047824c_o.jpg
'][/img][/URL]

Beautifully done. Photo of the year.

How did that signage get approved???

Well, the entire building IS a “Hoopty”.

The signage is down the list of worst abominations that took place on that corner.

Last edited:
This is hilarious and I'm so conflicted here. It's both ridiculously garish with a backlog of symbolism, but also refreshingly bold and somehow a tasteful font? Getting a sign that big on a new building (next to Citgo, let alone anywhere else in the city) sounds like an anomaly. I don't recall any notes about signage up there from the submissions.

This is hilarious and I'm so conflicted here. It's both ridiculously garish with a backlog of symbolism, but also refreshingly bold and somehow a tasteful font? Getting a sign that big on a new building (next to Citgo, let alone anywhere else in the city) sounds like an anomaly. I don't recall any notes about signage up there from the submissions.

This is Marty Walsh's legacy in Boston--high building signs. Ugh

Oh my god, they just showed an aerial over the Sox game on TV, a wide enough shot that it showed all of Back Bay to downtown, and there it was right below the Citgo sign. Bright enough to identify, big enough to read (maybe because I knew what to look for, but sheesh). They must have payed out the whoop for a sign that big and bold.

Oh my god, they just showed an aerial over the Sox game on TV, a wide enough shot that it showed all of Back Bay to downtown, and there it was right below the Citgo sign. Bright enough to identify, big enough to read (maybe because I knew what to look for, but sheesh). They must have payed out the whoop for a sign that big and bold.

Multiple shots so far. I'm laughing so hard. Thank you, Charlie!

How did that signage get approved???
Does anything at all matter in this stupid city? It’s just stunning that we even bother to have laws at all on anything development-related. Just when this couldn’t get any worse we get that giant middle finger of a sign. Wow.

Often a generous dollop of ivy can camouflage a bad brick building. In this case they should try multistory vertical neon strips between the windows. Go full on pop art.

Back