Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

In 50 years generation alpha (had to google what comes after z) is going to be arguing for landmark status for the iconic (whoop) sign of Kenmore sq.

That's if WHOOP is around for long. They're up against Apple, Samsung, Fitbit/Google, and the plethora of other health tracking startups. Sign could go down as quick as it went up.

Seeing the constant updates on this thread is always like rubbing salt in the wounds, but the updated title with this idiotically shitbrained branding name is too much. Did we have to honor their choice of caps for the font? I think e. e. cummings and TOOL deserve the honor, but not every asshole who tries to define a brand with caps (or absence of them) deserves to have it enshrined by everyone else. Fuck this dumb development, btw.

That's if WHOOP is around for long. They're up against Apple, Samsung, Fitbit/Google, and the plethora of other health tracking startups. Sign could go down as quick as it went up.

Quick, then, better kick off the historical preservation paperwork now.

Last edited:
I almost wish they could have leased it to the Soylent folks and one of the cryptocurrency startups. That way you could get a nexus of shiny stupidity.

Day 2.... didn't get a great night of sleep.... trying to cope with my new reality....

51652525474_db6b114dfa_z.jpg

Day 2.... didn't get a great night of sleep.... trying to cope with my new reality....

My thoughts exactly. Your screenshot missed the new Buckminster thread, though, which with our luck will be a massacred WHOOP 2.0.

In 50 years generation alpha (had to google what comes after z) is going to be arguing for landmark status for the iconic (whoop) sign of Kenmore sq.

In 50 years, if the status/condition of mogul is still ecologically and culturally sustainable, the billionaires will be piloting their megayachts from sleek new seaside marinas in the Worcester foothills, traversing the newly-drowned Route 128 Belt, mooring their opulent vessels up against the WHOOP signage (the Atlantic will be lapping right up against its base), and scuba diving amongst the undersea archaeological wonders of submerged Kenmore Sq...

[ok I embellish but let's not kid ourselves in 50 years Kenmore Sq area will be facing extreme if not catastrophic issues relating to sea level rise]

Aw, c'mon, relax. I remember the dark days of the recession years and I was only coming to this site once or twice a week to see updates on the dozen or so projects that were happening.....period (not just what I was interested in) - and never going beyond the first page. Look at the bright side of things!

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seen a proposal for the parking lot directly across the street?
33EB8C38-FDAC-45DE-A400-1673DB0FD088.jpeg

Thats an absolute prime location for fully activating kenmore sq. Seeing all of the development going on now and planned in the future its weird that theres nothing going up here. Hopefully we can get something iconic here to make up for some of the losses kendall has suffered lately.

It’s BU property, so it might be in their IMP.
There is no mention of that site in the BU IMP. My guess is that BU has some long range plans for the site along with the classroom building (former auto parts shop) and the 575 Comm dorm (former HoJo). Possibly a mixed use project with Retail etc. on the first floor and BU departments above.

Has anyone ever seen a proposal for the parking lot directly across the street?
View attachment 18483

Thats an absolute prime location for fully activating kenmore sq. Seeing all of the development going on now and planned in the future its weird that theres nothing going up here. Hopefully we can get something iconic here to make up for some of the losses kendall has suffered lately.
That's been the spot I'd most like to see developed and has held that rank for the two plus decades that I've been paying attention. I've never seen a mention of developing this lot. Seems like BU is content to sit on it. How unfortunate it is that they essentially control Kenmore, making decisions based on what they believe parents of future applicants will think when they visit the square.

Back