Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

The building is not going anywhere and the Whoop sign will be in place for the term of the signage contract. With that, one man’s opinion is that overtime, that ugly building will stand out from the other Kenmore Square buildings as perhaps “hmm, interesting”. I like the Whoop sign. The Whoop Ban product is a pretty cool device with Boston bread ingenuity, https://www.whoop.com/. I would suspet that the Whoop sign will also standout such as the “Pru” and “Citigo” signs but with a more modern flare.

^^ Wrong. This building is utter, utter trash. It tore down a perfectly viable, historic and much nicer building. This is exactly what 'doing it wrong' looks like. Every party involved - the developer, the architect, the city regulatory bodies - should be ashamed of themselves.

This is absolutely terrible.

52092787684_0604a5dda5_k.jpg

52092563573_d5d1aa1e8e_k.jpg

52093104465_2f18942609_w.jpg

So this developer is just mooning the square and flipping off the Citgo sign. Very on brand for the college-age clientele.

The decline of western civilization right there ^. One imagine-less, offensively ugly grey and glassy blotch flanked by two grand and stately buildings from another century. Yeah, I know, labor and materials cost, but I still think we can do better within the constraints of today.

The decline of western civilization right there ^. One imagine-less, offensively ugly grey and glassy blotch flanked by two grand and stately buildings from another century. Yeah, I know, labor and materials cost, but I still think we can do better within the constraints of today.
And this from the developer of Hudson Yards???

Such a simple massing to do right, and they still did it so so wrong. How hard is it to just put up some effing bricks?

Heck, even repeating the rhythm of the windows on the surrounding buildings would be an improvement.

This whole assembly currently looks terrible (walked past it on Saturday). Much worse than the Whoop building.

If anything ever looked like a grey cardboard box with cutout cellophane widows, this is it.

I don't understand why they felt the need to mess with this block at all. What they are building doesn't appear to be functionally much different from what was there. But aesthetically, they've completely ruined things. Contrast that with WHOOP, which at least replaced a fairly useless, low rise building.

Back