Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

That was my intent. What's the issue with what I posted? I didn't go off into detail about iron framed or reinforced buildings because the earliest ones weren't that different from masonry ones and the later ones, exempting complicated schemes, weren't that different from steel framed structures.

Welding technology versus rivets also had an effect on building construction as did the switch from S to W flanges.

Lurket -- As I said nothing wrong -- just that the big trends over the last 150 years got obscured by the many details

As you point out many different -- in many cases interrelated factors involved

I think that we can all agree that probably the most significant developments -- not necessarily in any specific order;

1) Cast iron posts
2) riveted steel frame (bind cage)
3) bolted / welded prefabbed high strength steel frame
4) Computer Aided Design and Finite Element Structural Analysis
5) much more sophisticated cranes, communications and controls

The result -- lighter, cheaper, stronger, more easily customized building structures that are faster, less labor intensive and safer to erect, -- especially on Labor Day

Perhaps you could add the saety elevator.

There's steel rising on the site now.
Who's got a camera???

ur right^ crane was up today!
016-38.jpg
021-29.jpg
026-19.jpg
027-22.jpg
061-15.jpg

today
013-31.jpg
015-30.jpg
014-29.jpg
012-27.jpg
047-17.jpg

Last edited:

Crane was visible from Cambridge on Saturday - i have some pix from the MIT Media Lab top floor

Was at the Hynes yesterday and on the way home heading for the T at Arlington I walked on down to Park Plaza -- the view of a big crane and rising steel puts a small hop into ones step

Took some pictures from various perspectives and distances -- haven't reviewed them for quality so far

when talking about construction/progress pics I dont think anybody minds quality.

Driving in in the morning a quarter of the old hancock is lit up which I'm assuming is from the construction site so I know stuff is going on. Wish the whole thing was still lit( hancock). I'm just a selfish sob and refuse to spend any more time in traffic to snap pics of the jobsite, shit sucks at rush hour anyway getting around there by car.

Hooray it's out of the ground!

Driving in in the morning a quarter of the old hancock is lit up which I'm assuming is from the construction site so I know stuff is going on. Wish the whole thing was still lit( hancock).

I saw that too, the old Hancock lit up, a few weeks ago when I was in town and I agree with Suffolk, I wish the whole thing was still lit up! Why isn't it??? The old Hancock was strikingly beautiful when lit up at night!!

I saw that too, the old Hancock lit up, a few weeks ago when I was in town and I agree with Suffolk, I wish the whole thing was still lit up! Why isn't it??? The old Hancock was strikingly beautiful when lit up at night!!

Energy costs/'Going Green'/Different cleaning crew schedules/Lit curtain-wall buildings kill migratory birds at night/Menino's suburban buddies can't sleep with lit skyscrapers keeping them awake at night/etc.

Moving along nicely.

Last edited:

Today:

6255790123_e9fc92aa60_b.jpg

6255789735_659b1415ea_b.jpg

And I stumbled upon this:

6256321906_877529bc52_b.jpg

Unfortunately there was a fence blocking this staging site off so I couldn't get a better angle...

6256321406_57dbebc5b6_b.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Maybe it's just the angle and depth of field playing tricks on me, but that central core looks huuuge.

Back