Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

I wonder. Since Boston is by all accounts, going gangbusters right now in comparison to much of the US in regards to development. .

Really.....Boston is going GANGBUSTERS in development. Try that Cambridge Massachusetts went APE SHIT in the BIOTECH Industry and KENDALL SQUARE looks like something like the Movie I-Robot. The Best thing Boston can do is give tax breaks and hope to copy Kendall Square or take over the leakage from the Biotech to shape the Innovation vision Shit square. Every Biotech company in the world wants to have a FOOTPRINT in Kendall Square because this is where its happening.

Boston is living off Harvard and MIT. Sorry folks thats whats going on.
Thats the reality BUDDY. Thank God for all those college kids.

Don't worry I just read in the GLOBE that the BRA just awarded Utile Inc to conduct a study 300K for REZONING waterfront access to the Greenway. This will take 2 years? What about all the other studies these fuck heads conducted?

http://bostonglobe.com/business/201...nder-review/iSEmrfm1ruD3knaJaWwnAJ/story.html

Aside from all the salty language. Does what you just wrote and posted contradict in anyway what I said and standby.

I didn't say they were doing anything right or by the books or anything else. The fact remains the City(ies) (yes Cambridge and the other surrounding cities and towns are included in the Boston Metro area) are building in a major way in stark contrast to many other places in the US as we are by all accounts either still in or slowly exiting a recession (until 4 days from now....) Not the only place growing, but per capita, I'd say we are seeing some major stuff here.

Boston is living off Harvard and MIT? Sure is. Is this a condemnation in some way? These are not only higher learning institutions but also the true incubators for innovation, ideas, new media, new technology, etc. I'm not sure your point. If these institutions were somewhere else, those places might be reaping the benefits. But, they are here, and are the success they are, because they are here.

Yale is supposed to be on par with Harvard right? Why isn't New Haven doing as well as Boston. Because what we have here is a symbiotic relationship. Boston made Harvard and MIT what they are the same way Harvard and MIT are making Boston what it is and remains. Throw in the other 200 colleges and Universities in the area, and you got a winning recipe. NEU, BC, BU, plus many others should also be included in your tirade.

I'm not a fan of stealing from Peter (Cambridge) to pay Paul (Boston), but there appears to be a trend for tech companies to want to either stick around or move back to the area which means there will be eventual spillover from Kendall. Kendall cannot fit everyone that wants to be here. Although it needs to become a more affordable option to be in the city to mitigate the tech sprawl we have seen over the years.

I'd say that Yale is on par with Harvard in spite of New Haven, and that is a whole other story.

Big Update

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

Half the time I see this thing it looks cheap and horrible, the other half it looks like a respectable pile that's always been there. Your photos manage to make it look like the latter; well done.

I hate this stump. It's scale is terrible. Too fat, too short.

^I love your dedication to using the word "stump" in every single one of your posts. Welcome to the forum.

This building really does look like a 2013 version of the Flatiron Building. It's fatter and dressed in cheaper materials. 'Merica.

(thanks for the pics, though DHZ. The first few and last few that don't show the building's bulk are deceptively nice).

^ I don't see how it's "deceptive", the building actually looks like that from those angles. From some sides it's wide and stumpy, but from the narrow ends it doesn't look it. That's not deception...

^ I don't see how it's "deceptive", the building actually looks like that from those angles. From some sides it's wide and stumpy, but from the narrow ends it doesn't look it. That's not deception...

I meant deceptive in that if you just saw that photo, you might assume the building is rounded and narrow. It's a fat beast. Sure, it looks good from some angles, but it's a pretty big building.

This building wins stump of the year 2012........ 5 Stars.

#1 Pictures looks great
#2 Development up-close doesn't look bad "2013 version of the Flatiron Building"

#3 The Skyline SUCKS

Yes, the skyline is stumpy we don't need 20 posts to know that. That being said would you prefer this building there or nothing at all? No it's not the height we want hopefully those things will be to come but besides height Boston needs fillers and at the ground level these fillers do a lot to help keep the city feel. It's doubtfull we'll ever have 20 800 footers but if we can have these and combine them with a few new 4 5 and 600" it will at least create a nice scale.

This building wins stump of the year 2012........ 5 Stars.

We're being played. Some existing forum member started a new account to prove the point that it gets annoying when all people do is complain about lack of height.
No chance someone casually used the word "stump" 8 times in 9 posts. Alright, fess up - who is it?

Once filenes gets built eventually copley tower maaaybe one day south station tower and probally not transnational place but one day we will definitely get a thousand footer but once things like that over time are built along with anything else that comes up in the future the avalon exeters, liberty mutuals, millenium 3s, and whatever else will create a really balanced and impressive skyline. Our skyline as is is a copley tower and filenes away from being pretty impressive. Now imagine throwing columbus center in there which was prepped for construction at one point and now were talking. Yea it gets annoying but i honestly see the skyline truely becoming world class with just a few moves in the right direction. These small "stumpy" developments are necessary for the other pieces to fall into place.

This building is helping boston much more than the half decent building that was there before

That's a fair point; I just wanted to point out that there wasn't "nothing" there before. You need a higher threshold for what's "better" since it's not just a parking lot we're talking about.

Once filenes gets built eventually copley tower maaaybe one day south station tower and probally not transnational place but one day we will definitely get a thousand footer but once things like that over time are built along with anything else that comes up in the future the avalon exeters, liberty mutuals, millenium 3s, and whatever else will create a really balanced and impressive skyline. Our skyline as is is a copley tower and filenes away from being pretty impressive. Now imagine throwing columbus center in there which was prepped for construction at one point and now were talking. Yea it gets annoying but i honestly see the skyline truely becoming world class with just a few moves in the right direction. These small "stumpy" developments are necessary for the other pieces to fall into place.

South Station will never get built. Way too many complex issues regarding this one.

Transnational place. Not sure on this one either. We will never see a 1000foot tower in this location.

It's not the height or stumpiness that tends to bother me but the uninspired tops of these buildings that all tend to look the same from a distance! I really do yearn for buildings that have interesting 'caps' to them! Night lighting helps immensly to differentiate the sameness of the tops but during the day, well...! Even the little 'dunce cap' on top of Two International Place is barely noticable!

yeah, the cap on this stump is dead in the water.
was the architect actually paid for this one?

Back