Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

^^>v^tHIS havesing MORE STUMPFS than CIVIL WAR veteran reunion IAM thinkin

I like how from some angles this building looks like it's a giant cylindrical building.

I think it's pretty obvious that the nothing I was reffering to was the old Liberty Mutual Building that was there previously. I suppose that it needed to be analyzed further. Regardless this building is better than a. a parking lot and b. the building it built on top of.

I really do yearn for buildings that have interesting 'caps' to them!

Is this the secret Menino online identity?

Regarding stump, sure it'd be a more interesting skyline - but the financial sweet spot is 20-25 stories on all these constrained urban sites right now.

Regarding stump, sure it'd be a more interesting skyline - but the financial sweet spot is 20-25 stories on all these constrained urban sites right now.

Is it a financial sweet spot or a permitting sweet spot.

Is it a financial sweet spot or a permitting sweet spot.

It may be both. I think it is also the construction cost sweet spot for the concrete core, steel frame, build up with simultaneous dig down construction method virtually everything in the city is employing right now. (Especially the construction by Suffolk -- although Liberty Mutual is Turner, I believe.)

These projects are very "cookie cutter" in construction method.

It's as wide as it is tall ...... It's a stump.

Stumpy or not, I love this addition to the city.

Before being demolished the Summer St side of South Station was around 700', I believe the Atlantic Ave side was even longer.

The Liberty Mutual building is around 400' on its longest side, and is more than quadruple the height of South Station.

That's about the same length as the New England building, which it is taller than, or the Park Plaza building, a mere block away, which is over 150' longer and half the height. If anything is a "fat iron" its that. Fucking stump, that Park Plaza. Its ruins our skyline, tear it down! (Note the Park Plaza is also a landscraper. Ludacris!)

Yes it could be taller. But this building is taller then all the other buildings we admire on a regular basis. It also has better quality of materials and the classic elements of proportion and design everyone around here seems to long for regularly. I would rather have that than a few more floors.

You cant even see the Park Plaza in the skyline. Your comment is ridiculous.

It may be both. I think it is also the construction cost sweet spot for the concrete core, steel frame, build up with simultaneous dig down construction method virtually everything in the city is employing right now. (Especially the construction by Suffolk -- although Liberty Mutual is Turner, I believe.)

These projects are very "cookie cutter" in construction method.

I've been wondering if the concrete core surrounded by steel design is a fairly new concept. In years past, I can't seem to remember watching a project that saw a 20 or 30-story core of poured concrete rise and then have work later start on an independent steel frame. My recollection of skyscraper construction used to be that the initial floor jump would involve framing out the stair/elevator core with steel and then building out the interior/exterior support columns.

Is this an actual change to building codes or have construction companies found that this is a more effective way of constructing buildings? Is this some sort of post 9/11 concept where buildings must now have a independent, internal structure for occupants to take refuge should the exterior building fail?

I've been wondering if the concrete core surrounded by steel design is a fairly new concept. In years past, I can't seem to remember watching a project that saw a 20 or 30-story core of poured concrete rise and then have work later start on an independent steel frame. My recollection of skyscraper construction used to be that the initial floor jump would involve framing out the stair/elevator core with steel and then building out the interior/exterior support columns.

Is this an actual change to building codes or have construction companies found that this is a more effective way of constructing buildings? Is this some sort of post 9/11 concept where buildings must now have a independent, internal structure for occupants to take refuge should the exterior building fail?

The concrete core/steel frame type of construction is called "hybrid." It has gained popularity because the concrete core acts as a natural shear wall (shear walls resist lateral forces meaning no K or X bracing needs to be designed in the core as would be the need for steel) and the steel frame allows for wider spans that support today's idea of an "open layout" office.

The concrete core/steel frame type of construction is called "hybrid." It has gained popularity because the concrete core acts as a natural sheer wall (sheer walls resist lateral forces meaning no K or X bracing needs to be designed in the core as would be the need for steel) and the steel frame allows for wider spans that support today's idea of an "open layout" office.

Thank you datadyne007 for the information! Given your explanation, is it fair to assume that this concept also applies to residential construction. (ala Kensington, Avalon Exeter, 120 Kingston), because the hybrid permits more open floor plans, which have been more desirable to prospective condo buyers/apartment renters?

Thank you datadyne007 for the information! Given your explanation, is it fair to assume that this concept also applies to residential construction. (ala Kensington, Avalon Exeter, 120 Kingston), because the hybrid permits more open floor plans, which have been more desirable to prospective condo buyers/apartment renters?

Yes, but as said in other threads (319 A Rear), steel framing/decking is actually not preferable in residential construction because sound penetrates much more than in a concrete framed structure. Millennium Tower is actually going to be a fully concrete-framed building. I can't wait to watch those 55 stories rise.

Changes to the International Codes as a result of 9/11 include:
Elevators are required in high-rise buildings more than 120 feet tall so firefighters can get to, and fight fires, without walking up from the ground floor with heavy equipment;
An additional stairway for high-rises that are more than 420 feet tall;
In lieu of the additional stairway, an option to provide enhanced elevators that can be used by the building occupants for emergency evacuation without waiting for assistance from emergency personnel;
A higher standard for fire resistance in high-rise buildings more than 420 feet tall;
More robust fire proofing for buildings more than 75 feet tall, which will be less likely to be dislodged by impacts or explosions;
Shafts enclosing elevators and exit stairways that have impact resistant walls;
Self-luminous exit pathway markings in all exit stairways that provide a lighted pathway when both the primary and secondary lighting fails; and
Radio coverage systems within the building to allow emergency personnel to better communicate within the building and with emergency staff outside the building supporting the response.
From http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2011/08/9-11-code-changes.html
Bolding mine.

Boston is so horny for a 900 footer it's ridiculous.

Clinically demonstrated etiology for ED is an obsession with stumps.

That's a handsome look.

I'd like something jutting at the top of ground level. Some kind of structural awning. Of course located above actual retail entrances would be ideal as well.

Looks naked right now.

Back