Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

^ We have LM auto insurance and I've been very pleased with them. It's great to see this Boston-based company actually expanding in Boston.

Isn't Liberty Mutual a true mutual company (i.e., owned by its policy holders)? I don't see how that makes them blood-sucking.

They are. I have Liberty Mutual for Auto and Renters and just got invited to vote in their yearly elections. I've never had a problem with them.

Brad's just trying to be clever...

Got my voter thing yesterday as well.

Someone else just outlined the aB recipe. Any compliment to a new building shall be followed by snark and people trying to get in the last word with said witty comments.

^ It isn't just aB......it's the whole goddamn internet.

8565855273_b533a3d20e_b.jpg

8566949990_266a780e30_b.jpg

042_zps7319f6c7.jpg
032_zps529115b8.jpg

Last edited:

i know i should wait until the ground floor is finished, but all in all i think this building is handsome and fits in incredibly well. So far i give it a thumbs up.

i know i should wait until the ground floor is finished, but all in all i think this building is handsome and fits in incredibly well. So far i give it a thumbs up.

^^

Wow, does that picture on the right look empty. How's the Copley Place Tower and the one across from the Old Hancock coming, again?

^^

Wow, does that picture on the right look empty. How's the Copley Place Tower and the one across from the Old Hancock coming, again?

The Copley Place Tower wouldn't be in that picture

That first photo should win some kind of prize for the shear quantity of blandscape architecture it encompasses.

^right on queue, and arguable at best.

8602029378_09c00fab8c_b.jpg

Atypical color palette (for Boston) for The Youth's Companion building. The man who had the building built, Daniel Sharp Ford, had two nephews who were artists, one more famous than the other. The more famous of the two spent much time in France and England, To me, the building seems more of a Kensington or Fitzrovia palette.

^right on queue, and arguable at best.

Go ahead and defend the aesthetics of this block. I'd love to hear it done.

Windows reflecting the Old Hancock next door:
From today

I was in Boston a couple months ago and was surprised at how well it blends with the city as I had thought that it might look better in the amazing pictures being posted on here and I was pleasantly surprised it really did fit in.

Go ahead and defend the aesthetics of this block. I'dnlove to hear it done.

I could, but defending it as almost as useless as criticizing it. It's a block of small buildings with small footprints surrounded by much bigger buildings that define the image of Boston. You could argue that the buildings should be taller for that location, but what would one expect for buildings that size?

1 Beacon deserves to be called bland, because it is dominating, inescapable, and hard to hide.

I am sorry for sounding so harsh in my previous post though. I respect you and appreciate your posts and feedback.

No worries, no offense taken. I agree the buildings here have relatively small footprints, though they're still somewhat larger than optimal. My real issue is with the architecture - it's monochrome and nothing really stands out. I could never feel excitement walking down this street.

Of course, it's far from terrible. The blandness just irked me a little.

Back