Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

the curves of this building are coming along nicely... better than i expected.

That's a hawt angle you got there, boston02124!

The core of this building is massive. I thought it might start to shrink once it met the height of the adjacent building, but evidently not.

It's too bad the building that the ads is placed on was not razed and the lot made part of the new Liberty building.

No, no, no. If there's one good thing about the new Liberty building, it's that this corner will appear to have buildings stepping up from it very nicely. The layered effect will be much more interesting than a corner dominated by a singular hulk.

That said, it would be nice if that intersection is livelier...it doesn't have to be Times Square, but preferably someday it won't be quite so Financial District-dead either.

Yea this area has always been a bit sullen...used to be more crime ridden 20+ years ago, had the sleazy bus station and was just run down...it's improved now but it's dreary. I remember riding the school bus one morning back in like 1990 and seeing the cops chasing down some perp on that middle strip.

No, no, no. If there's one good thing about the new Liberty building, it's that this corner will appear to have buildings stepping up from it very nicely. The layered effect will be much more interesting than a corner dominated by a singular hulk.

That said, it would be nice if that intersection is livelier...it doesn't have to be Times Square, but preferably someday it won't be quite so Financial District-dead either.

It's such a small building and will stick out next to the new, modern tower. I think they could have easily included it in the tower and kept that portion at a lower height which would have achieved the stepping up.

stick out next to the new, modern tower

You don't think variety of streetscape, the layering of ages, etc is a good thing?

Plus as I said before, the street level of any modern tower is all but guaranteed to be crap compared to what this building offers.

It's such a small building and will stick out next to the new, modern tower. I think they could have easily included it in the tower and kept that portion at a lower height which would have achieved the stepping up.

It's not just the stepping up -- it's the contrast and variety of having multiple buildings do so.

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

Mother, circa 1986 (after I came out): "I remember a couple years ago when we picked you up at the Greyhound station and there were all those people around; I was worried but now I know it was okay."
Me: "Mom, I'm gay, not a prostitute."

^ LOL.....gay, prostitute, crackhead--it's all the same!

Here's another from across the Charles, but this one was taken from the second floor of MIT's new Sloan building:

6858153903_9297e65574_b.jpg

Please, oh please look good from the Charles.

Please, oh please look good from the Charles.

Was thinking about this when I noticed it from the Red Line the first time this past week. We're going to be seeing a side that isn't on the street, if not a full-on backside view. Potential for disaster.

That's a perfect angle you got in that first shot...great idea to go up in the Motor Mart.

Can someone tell me what the big square hole is on the Columbus Ave side?

That first shot is really great, yet also makes me sad. Park Square could be a truly amazing spot -- there is great infrastructure surrounding it, yet none of it interacts with the sidewalk. The pedestrian experience is one of getting through there as quickly as you can on the way to somewhere else. Imagine if all of those buildings had a large array of interesting and accessible stores, bars, and restaurants (with sidewalk dining). It would be a major destination. And yet, it just isn't.

@MBTAddict: what hole? I'm not seeing it.

Back