Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

^ The latter. Also, NYC is big and architecturally cohesive enough that even a dozen shitty buildings hardly make any impact on the cityscape. I almost never see those terrible hotels on a day to day basis.

I can't believe anything like this is still getting built - and in NYC even. It's so Caddyshack vintage 1980 crap. Strongly supports the "Liberty Mutual is a win because it could have been much worse" argument.

This is a perfectly fine background building and somewhat reminiscent of the wedding cake office buildings of the 50's which, to me, are just as much classic NY as the towers of the 20's.

My thoughts on Liberty Mutual Project. Its definitely weak in the skyline but not every development should be a landmark. Overall a solid project.

After driving on 93 expressway. Boston Skyline is very old & decrepit.
The Pru looks ancient.
We need a couple of landmark skyscrapers that will change the landscape of the

Last edited:

This is a perfectly fine background building and somewhat reminiscent of the wedding cake office buildings of the 50's which, to me, are just as much classic NY as the towers of the 20's.

Can't believe it took 14 hours for you to defend that modernist dumper in NYC.
I worked for Hines in Chicago when we were building 300 North Lasalle. And there was a running joke among the development team that we needed to hype the fact that this was Pickard Chilton's homage to modernism so that no one would notice that we built a big, rectangular, boner that maximized FAR.

2009a71.425.jpg

The "boner" you worked on looks fine to me. Nothing great, but it has a straightforward workaday simplicity I like. Certainly more than the LM lump.

Seriously, there are a lot of great projects going in Boston from Kendall Square to Longwood, to the Universities, to DTX, to even the (cringes when says it..) "Innovation District". Variety of uses, clients, industries from insurance to biotech - very cool stuff.

Speaking of could end up with worse, I live near 432 Park Ave, the soon to be "tallest residential tower in the western hemi-sphere". Oy.

LM looks great from that angle. Nice shot.

Columbus Center or whatever it was called may be gone, but between the LM HQ and the Clarendon, this kind of no-mans land is getting spruced up a bit.

Now I wonder who lives in that penthouse on top of the building with Mistral in it.....

Speaking of could end up with worse, I live near 432 Park Ave, the soon to be "tallest residential tower in the western hemi-sphere". Oy.

What's funny is that there are plenty of people here who'd kill for a tower in Boston half the height of that one. Personally my feelings on it are mixed, it looks like a giant kit-kat that could be easily snapped in half. But another part of it seems bold and almost elegant, which for NYC is fitting. Here in Boston I'd settle for more stuff like LM and the Clarendon filling out the Back Bay. If Copley Place ever gets going and the Christian Science Monitor redevelopment ends up half decent than the cityscape/skyline here could improve vastly. I have much more hope for this part of the city than the financial and "innovation" districts.

Yeah; it looks okay from angles other than from the south. Even hard to imagine the Back Bay skyline from the Charles without it now. Don't know why the south facade bothers me so much more.

Looks nice from this angle too!

It's a giant file cabinet where they can put all the claim denial letters

Brian, I love, love that last pic of yours taken with the pedi-bridge at the base!! Very nice!!

Back