Liberty Wharf | 220-270 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Liberty Wharf (Jimmy's Harborside)

I had this recently:

[... snip ...]

and all I have to say is damn!

Excellent. Did you get that in Boston? I've looked around for Oregon beer here, but I've only seen Rogue Dead Guy. I prefer Deschutes Brewery to Rogue though.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/busine...ice-leasing/FFmlFbooY6BnFGai3qgWlM/index.html
Liberty Wharf has completed office leasing
02/16/2012 3:55 PM

By Casey Ross, Globe Staff

The developer of Liberty Wharf in Boston’s Seaport District has completed office leasing for the complex, signing new deals this week with the software firm RStudio and the law firm Hayes Bostock and Cronin.

The leases cap a sweeping transformation of the Northern Avenue property, which was formerly occupied by the restaurant Jimmy’s Harborside. It is now home to a sleek glass building with offices and four new restaurants, including Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steakhouse and the three-story Legal’s Harborside.

In addition to RStudio and Hayes Bostock and Cronin, the public relations firm Fama PR signed a deal this to expand its offices in the complex. The firm now occupies about 14,000 square feet at Liberty Wharf. Leasing was handled by the real estate services firm Jones Lang LaSalle.

“Liberty Wharf has grown to become one of the most popular destinations in Boston,” said Mayor Thomas M. Menino, who has re-named the Seaport Boston’s Innovation District. “The new tenants join more than 100 companies and 3,000 jobs that have moved to the area since 2010.”

Cresset completed construction of Liberty Wharf last year. Designed by Elkus Manfredi Architects of Boston, the complex includes three buildings with 73,000 square feet of office and retail space. The new restaurants also include Temazcal Tequila Cantina and Jerry Remy’s Sports Bar & Grill. It has yet to lure a fifth restaurant to fill a small glass kiosk along Northern Avenue.
Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

If only Liberty Wharf's architecture were just a bit more thoughtful, and it wasn't polluted by so many garish signs...it might look a little more like...this (new beachfront pavillion in Vancouver):

cactus-club-from-beach-copy1.jpg

Always bitching about something, eh?

i actually prefer liberty wharf to that... i fell the signs give it a sense of purpose and liveliness.... that building just looks so sterile.

If only Liberty Wharf's architecture were just a bit more thoughtful, and it wasn't polluted by so many garish signs...it might look a little more like...this (new beachfront pavillion in Vancouver):

cactus-club-from-beach-copy1.jpg

That looks like the office/library in the high school I went to in California. It fits right in with those brutalist towers in the background. I see no reason why this should be considered better or even competitive with what was built at Liberty Wharf.

I thought Boston sucked because it didn't have enough signs and neon, oh wait that was yesterday.

How is it so hard to tell the difference between a piece of second-rate (though by no means awful) commercial architecture and something built with clean lines and care? The contrast between the ICA and Liberty is clear, no? Why not this? Maybe you're deceived by the bleakness of the weather and the wide-angle view of the photo.

And really, there's a clear difference between an interesting lighted ad and the equivalent of a backlit suburban Applebee's sign tacked onto an exterior.

This would be a great addition to the Fort Point Chanel. Put it in the vacant lot between the Childrens Museum and Moakley Bridge. Maybe move the Barking Crab out of it's rodent infested hole (sans garish signs) and fill a gap in the Fort Point Promenade.

Isn't that Ironic. Looks like they realize its time to sell.

Like I said Seaport District will be a PUMP & DUMP real estate venture because of the BRA and political hacks.

How are those taxbreaks looking know for the area? Is this what you call Long-term value?

More like a quick score.

I would have rather see the entire Silverline scrapped with our taxpayer money and invest the money in the MBTA hardrail expansion stops with the Red, Blue and maybe a trolley service runing up and down the strip.

Fan Pier will be following suit in a couple year if not less.

I don't believe the Liberty Wharf project was subsidized by public monies... I could be wrong.

Pump and Dump as you call it is so common of developer buildings and is nothing new nor exclusive to Boston. Developers build for profit, and if that profit can be realized in the short term, they jump on it rather than waiting 20 years for ROI. Simple economics. It may be worth more over a 20 years plan, but they are not looking to be building managers.

While your arguments have base, this sale has no bearing nor does it support said arguments in any way.

I don't believe the Liberty Wharf project was subsidized by public monies... I could be wrong.

Pump and Dump as you call it is so common of developer buildings and is nothing new nor exclusive to Boston. Developers build for profit, and if that profit can be realized in the short term, they jump on it rather than waiting 20 years for ROI. Simple economics. It may be worth more over a 20 years plan, but they are not looking to be building managers.

While your arguments have base, this sale has no bearing nor does it support said arguments in any way.

No shit Dick Tracey. I'm pretty sure Liberty Wharf did not receive tax breaks. But the rest of the area is riding high on them and that is why you will see the majority of the developers cashing out in the next 5 years.

But what do the taxpayers get for their Long-term investment for the Seaport District and the amount of taxpayers money that was used to develop this area? Nothing built for substance. 2nd and 3rd rate developments. A shitty planned Seaport that should have been the city biggest & brightest development opportunity.
The Mayor & Governor have made their friends very rich who invested in this area. Double or triple profits.

But the rest of the area is riding high on them and that is why you will see the majority of the developers cashing out in the next 5 years.

This is the pot calling the dick.... tracy.
The problem is your correlation of a developer doing what they do best (making a profit and moving on) to the rest of the waterfront development and the cronyism involved.

Your like the news now. Everything has to be doom and gloom even when there is a success story that shows you can do it the right way.

Accentuate the positive for once in your miserable blogosphere life.

I guess your making the leap that this only succeeded because of Menino and the (definite) hacks at the BRA. And, this developer is reaping the benefits of the government pumping money into the area. Which I beleive is the intended affect of governments pumping money into areas such as this.

This is the pot calling the dick.... tracy.
The problem is your correlation of a developer doing what they do best (making a profit and moving on) to the rest of the waterfront development and the cronyism involved.

Your like the news now. Everything has to be doom and gloom even when there is a success story that shows you can do it the right way.

Accentuate the positive for once in your miserable blogosphere life.

I guess your making the leap that this only succeeded because of Menino and the (definite) hacks at the BRA. And, this developer is reaping the benefits of the government pumping money into the area. Which I beleive is the intended affect of governments pumping money into areas such as this.

And that is why the SEAPORT DEVELOPMENT will be nothing more than a PUMP & DUMP real estate venture. You just hit the nail on the head.
Great planning for the next upcoming area.

Believe it or not I'm actually a person that believes the glass is always half full.
But the reality to Boston Development Scene is nothing more than corruption to the CORE. Sometimes you just need to inform people the reality on what is going on.

I'm very disappointed how the Seaport is evolving.

And what I see in the future is there are more appealing locations for prospective tenants to move back into the Financial District rather than deal with an expensive build-out for the Seaport. That could change if Apple or another major Corp which marks a massive foot-print in the area. That will still leave a much suburban office park feel. I think they really fucked this up

What is really killing Seaport is the Silver-line Bus access. This is the city, nobody really wants to be riding a bus. People want to walking and jumping in and off trains for the locations with walk-able areas that are very vibrant.
That is my initial point about the Entire Seaport Planning. Somerville is becoming more appealing than the Innovation District.

I don't really understand why you are complaining when you've just acknowledge that our basic underlying economic system promotes developers building and selling for short term profits. Planning isn't really the tool to enact economic reform... And if you are so concerned with "pump and dump" then what is your solution? If you want to promote people hanging onto their buildings for the long term, then the only real option I see is...(oh no!) government intervention, dis/incentivizing through taxes or tax breaks.

Meanwhile I'll take the potential sale of the site as a positive indicator of the level of interest in developing/owning/being in the area. If you want to think about it 1/2 full then consider that (1) the development is considered so valuable not only for its location but also for how well the whole thing turned out, and (2) by selling to a management company the developer will be freeing up capital that it can reinvest in new developments in the area. If that freed-up capital means more developments (possibly at the adjacent parcel) of the caliber/kind of Liberty Wharf, then I'll take it.

Back