Liberty Wharf | 220-270 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Liberty Wharf (Jimmy's Harborside)

Restaurants are usually great when they're new (if they're not, something's really wrong). That's why the lowliest ones all have 20 year old reviews and fading "Best of Boston 1993" stickers stuck on their windows.

I made it into Remy's last week and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Everything is new and tastefully done for a sports bar. Well laid out, nice view, plenty of light, great flat screens, comfortable seating and friendly and prompt service. The menu was varied and not overpriced, imo anyway. I had one of their burgers which is huge and they use fried dough of all things for the bread, but it worked. I noticed Legal's has their new sign up on their building which looks good. It's a big red sign with the letters placed vertically, but they have a lot of work to do inside before they can open. I would say that when all the restaurants are operating in this development, this place will be hopping. It will be especially nice to sit outside on a warm July evening at ground level or on the upper roofdeck bar to have a meal or a drink. This development is a big success.

I went there last night. I agree about it being tasteful, and very nice for a sport bar, but I thought it was horribly laid out. I know i went at the worst time (Saturday night around 11), but i literally couldn't even stand around the bar, much less get a drink at the bar. The area around the center bar is extremely narrow and boxed in by tables. Also hated that the bathroom is at the complete opposite end of the building. It took me almost 10 minutes to navigate through the thick, drunk crowds.

Got a table in the dinning area, and the service was decent--especially for some place so new. I blame it mostly on the fact that the waitress had to navigate the same crowd I was avoiding, so not her fault. Didn't get food, so can't comment on that, but will definitely be returning in the summer. The patio looks huge, and all the harbor facing windows completely open. The whole complex is extremely attractive and is a huge leap forward for bringing people into the area.

Whichever restaurant that has the roof deck is going to be simply incredible this summer. They could serve 3 day old mcdonalds for I care and I will still be going all the time. I Look forward to coming back when the weather warms up.

Jass, thanks for posting this video. It was thoroughly enjoyable. I thought it was very informative and it came across as a positive indicator of the success which I do believe Liberty Wharf will enjoy. Thanks again.

That video was excellent! I can't think of another way to describe it, besides it was thoroughly enjoyable. =)

There's a lot of optimism involved in the SBW, but it's actually slowly proving itself to be a reality.

today
002-12.jpg

Today

5806048273_81d0d454d4_b.jpg

5806613484_8a2f295dbc_b.jpg

5806050095_0de9b5e083_b.jpg

Nice wood

5806052317_0b0ab2f91e_b.jpg

Nothing going on inside yet

5806051509_6b0cd0bcd5_b.jpg

5806617712_2ca131b657_b.jpg

5806620210_2a9224ec3d_b.jpg

5806621818_b620a93de2_b.jpg

5806624438_a6bc7af63c_b.jpg

5806623206_81b0a30214_b.jpg

5806061307_9377b00966_b.jpg

5806626498_c099e39283_b.jpg

5806063567_76f2538b20_b.jpg

5806064341_fcb93a3aac_b.jpg

5806630092_a79fb77282_b.jpg

5806066553_56b5356616_b.jpg

5806631254_8b0cd9ec95_b.jpg

5806067751_8635a270c1_b.jpg

5806632358_628ea4e5dd_b.jpg

5806633444_167248555c_b.jpg

5806634180_dafb74d6cc_b.jpg

5806634860_b5d8169b4a_b.jpg

5806635462_270373dfb3_b.jpg

5806072331_b939d931d8_b.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

I went by this one day during the week at lunch and it was absolutely packed inside and out. The same goes for across the street where all the outdoor tables were taken. Seems like it is a big success.

There's some schweeeeet outfalls on either side of Liberty Wharf. I'm going to guess 3.5-4ft and perfect for drain boarding. It's a shame they're completely submerged depending on tide... ;(

Im shocked that I agree with the very first globe comment 100%

Very nice for those with money....the rest of the people in Boston and surrounding area are thankful if they even have jobs. Some more articles on cut rate supermarkets would have helped more of us, but of course the "beautiful people", people who have to be concerned about parking their boats for 20 dollars, wouldnt be included in the article or the photos. I am glad Boston is doing so well, but I wonder where the "droves" of people are coming from...certainly not from anyplace I go or from anyone I know.

The prices at these new places are ridiculous. Fortunately, the old places are still affordable (Atlantic Beer Garden, the Irish place, the deli, yankee lobster etc)

Im shocked that I agree with the very first globe comment 100%

The prices at these new places are ridiculous. Fortunately, the old places are still affordable (Atlantic Beer Garden, the Irish place, the deli, yankee lobster etc)

The Globe did a long feature article last week on the great disparity in household income between those who live in Greater Boston, and those who live in other parts of the state, in this instance parts of western Massachusetts.

Given the ability of the Red Sox to consistently sell out games year after year at the ticket prices they charge, there are a lot of households in Boston that can afford a Liberty Wharf or a Newbury St. Look at the
attendance in Tampa-St. Pete for the Rays, or for the Bucs, and you will
see a metropolitan area that can no longer afford that kind of spending.

To underscore my point, Red Sox ticket prices:
6a0115709f071f970b014e89ffae3a970d-550wi

Image graph from NESN
http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/red-sox...ater-than-average-cost-of-dodgers-ticket.html

The Rays are in a stadium that sucks, which probably depresses attendance despite their having a winning team 4 years in a row now.

What a whiny loser. You can buy a beer and a burger for under $15, tip included, at Remy's. It's a night out. People have been doing it for centuries. Even the paupers.

What a whiny loser. You can buy a beer and a burger for under $15, tip included, at Remy's. It's a night out. People have been doing it for centuries. Even the paupers.

Someone hasnt been to liberty wharf.

The Globe article about Liberty Wharf was a positive, upbeat article about the buzz and energy surrounding these new restaurants on the waterfront! And yet, in the comment section, people found reason to complain! Frankly, I don't get it! Like anything in real estate, it mostly has to do with location, location, location!! Waterfront views, brand spanking new, cool venue....people are gonna try it out and be willing to pay premium prices, not just for their food and drinks but for the whole experience! I think Liberty Wharf is a great thing for the city...lots of people now work there, lots of people now spend lots of money there, lots of tax revenue generated there! What's not to like? I'm looking forward to eating there with the partner, his daughter, and her friends when we're in town for BC Parent's weekend! If we can get in!!

Sounds like Tommy deserves some cudos as a city planner after all

Not quite.

Liberty Wharf is on Massport property, as are Seaport Hotel, Fidelity towers, etc. Massport is not subject to City zoning.

Massport embarked on its own planning process independent of the Mayor's Seaport planning, agreeing only to an advisory role for the BRA.

Back