Liberty Wharf | 220-270 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Liberty Wharf (Jimmy's Harborside)

I never noticed the massport-branded streetsigns there. I like them a lot.

I don't; the whole area now looks and feels more like an airport hotel zone than it did before, which is quite an achievement.

Isn't anyone embarassed that massport can build a city where the city can't?

I would not call this a city in anything but the least restrictive sense of the term. But point taken, since the city probably could not build anything.

I never noticed the massport-branded streetsigns there. I like them a lot.

Somewhat related, but Ive always enjoyed the fact that the parking meters are run by massport, and thus run on different hours, hence tickets for people who think sundays are free.

I don't; the whole area now looks and feels more like an airport hotel zone than it did before, which is quite an achievement.

Seriously? Did the fact that a harborside entertainment complex is currently under construction in this "airport hotel zone" even slightly enter your brain as you wrote that? Sorry to be aggressive on this point, but I'm tired of the haven't-done-therefore-can't-do mindset. In fact, though, the few blocks of development under Massport are actually built at a far more urban scale than we've seen elsewhere. If any area of the seaport deserves the mantra "give it time" this area is it.

Unrelatedly, that's insane about Massport parking meters.

What sort of entertainment complex? A concert hall, or a live stage theatre, or a movie multiplex, or something else?

The Bank of America Pavilion exists already - I meant the new restaurants and deck. Maybe "entertainment complex" is the wrong phrase, but between these restaurants and the BoAP, why not?

The Liberty
Wharf program features a two-story, 18,000-squarefoot
restaurant with a roof deck; a 50,000-square-foot
building with two full floors of specialty, Class A office
space above two floors of smaller restaurants; and a
kiosk building.

http://www.elkus-manfredi.com/upload/attachment/PARCELE_Broch.pdf

Unless those restaurants are going to have live music I don't consider them to be 'entertainment'. BofA Pavilion is seasonal. Unless there's more that I'm not seeing here, this development won't be the next Central Square or Allston Rock City.

Regardless of entertainment options it is a nice infill project for the Seaport. I especially like the wraparound harborwalk that extends itself out of the structure. More developments such as this one could begin a nice architectural trend in a much needed area of town.

Any street anywhere close to "downtown" called lane causes me some pause. Its not right

my thoughts exactly, Suffolk. This is a great little addition to the Seaport though. From the renderings it looks like it does everything it needs in order to not completely block of the harbor while adding life to the area which is sorely needed.

Would you accept a Maiden Lane (a la San Francisco) in the waterfront area? (Hint: originally, Maiden Lane was an oxymoron.)

I think "lane" is far more preferable than "place", "center", and "way".

Thats more of an alley isn't it

today from logan
041-6.jpg
0411.jpg

If only it would completely block that hideous hideous building behind it.

If it looks anything like the renderings, it should at least draw plenty of attention away from those whatever they are.

They really should have just built a WalMart here. Who is anyone foolin'?

I was going to say, no matter what you think of it, it definitely doesn't look like Boston.

But Barbaric beat me to the punch, and did so way more effectively.

Back