Logan Airport Capital Projects

I may have missed it, but i do not remember seeing the terminal A/B pre/post security connector project.

It is listed as a projected project so I do not think it will break ground all that soon. Current budget: $40 million

http://www.massport.com/business-wi...-massport/capital-programs/detail/?proj=L1313

Very strange how it says pre too. The pre-security A-B Connector is done. It was done under L1191, which included the West Garage Expansion & at the time, the B Garage Expansion. The B Garage was dropped from L1191 because of feasibility issues, but the A-B Connector that ran along the garage was kept. It's a neat little hallway that completes the missing link in the walkways from A to B. Despite the B Garage Expansion being dropped, L1191 also included new garage elevators.

Massport tends to shuffle around projects into different contracts though, so perhaps it was moved out of L1313 and into L1191 and the L1313 title hasn't been updated.

3yROESUh.jpg

My pic

Last edited:
Given the massive physical constraints, and the need to keep the airport operational (and it is busy), MassPort seems to be doing a really good job modernizing Logan.

Now they just need to bite the bullet on the piers at Terminal C.

Given the massive physical constraints, and the need to keep the airport operational (and it is busy), MassPort seems to be doing a really good job modernizing Logan.

Now they just need to bite the bullet on the piers at Terminal C.

JeffDowntown -- It's all up to Jet Blue and I suppose Emirates

Most if not All of the other terminal projects except for E have always been a partnership between the airlines and Massport -- e.g. A [Delta], the original B [AA], the B to B connector [United]

The issue is can Jet Blue temporarily give up 1/2 of C to remake one pier

Emirates is a non factor. They'll fully be in E shortly. Their new lounge will be opening and the 380, which will not fit at C, is inevitable once the gates are ready.

So, from what I could find here ( http://www.massport.com/logan-airpo...-interactive-maps/#terminal/B/zone/departures ) there are the following post-security areas:

All of E + most of C
C40, C41, C42 (fucking dumb)
B37, B38 (holy fuck, WHAT THE FUCK?)
Most of B
B1, B2, B3 (fucking dumb)
All of A (actually impressive given the logistics)

I certainly hope the next connector project is forging a connection from C to B, which would not only connect E, C, and B all at once, but also bring C40, C41, C42, B37, and B38 into the fold.

Most if not All of the other terminal projects except for E have always been a partnership between the airlines and Massport -- e.g. A [Delta], the original B [AA], the B to B connector [United]

I agree. Really hard to work out the logistics for JetBlue. You are probably looking at a total rebuild of those piers (way too low ceiling to do anything else). So you have to take a whole pier out of commission (lots of gates) unless there is something really clever I am missing.

B 37 and 38 are being worked on now, and will lose their orphan status sometime later this year.

C 40-42 are for Virgin America, and I assume Alaska, now that they have officially merged. Thus, the urgency to connect those orphan gates with the rest of C has gone.

C 40-42 are for Virgin America, and I assume Alaska, now that they have officially merged. Thus, the urgency to connect those orphan gates with the rest of C has gone.

Perhaps the urgency has declined, but as an airport operator I would think you'd want to give carriers the ability to codeshare and facilitate connections to the extent possible these days. I remember reading a couple of years back (sorry, I can't seem to find it now after a few mins of searching) that Massport mentioned it was in their long-term strategic plan to connect the entire airport post-security.

C40-42 are perhaps the trickiest orphans to connect. There's a restaurant space with a wall of glass overlooking the airfield between them and the other gates, as well as a substantial protrusion of the terminal building, and a couple of other retailers all blocking the continuity. Of course it's possible, but not without a substantial overhaul of the vendor spaces in that area - or a substantial addition that would block the restaurant's view.

B1, B2, B3 (fucking dumb)
The Terminal B Consolidation Project on page 1 of this thread fixes this. http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=273222&postcount=7

Perhaps the urgency has declined, but as an airport operator I would think you'd want to give carriers the ability to codeshare and facilitate connections to the extent possible these days. I remember reading a couple of years back (sorry, I can't seem to find it now after a few mins of searching) that Massport mentioned it was in their long-term strategic plan to connect the entire airport post-security.

C40-42 are perhaps the trickiest orphans to connect. There's a restaurant space with a wall of glass overlooking the airfield between them and the other gates, as well as a substantial protrusion of the terminal building, and a couple of other retailers all blocking the continuity. Of course it's possible, but not without a substantial overhaul of the vendor spaces in that area - or a substantial addition that would block the restaurant's view.

Best way to de-orphan C40-42 is to connect them to B via hallway to the reworked B 37-38 area which is currently being connected into the main terminal as mentioned previously.

Best way to de-orphan C40-42 is to connect them to B via hallway to the reworked B 37-38 area which is currently being connected into the main terminal as mentioned previously.

Good point. My post was entirely about how to connect them to C. I guess I didn't assume that 3 C gates would be connected to B and not the rest of C, but I suppose its as logical as connecting in the other direction.

I'd still like to see connecting in the other direction be possible, though...it'd be nice not to have an E-C island and an A-B island with that dumb Jerry Remy's blocking continuity in the middle!

Good point. My post was entirely about how to connect them to C. I guess I didn't assume that 3 C gates would be connected to B and not the rest of C, but I suppose its as logical as connecting in the other direction.

I'd still like to see connecting in the other direction be possible, though...it'd be nice not to have an E-C island and an A-B island with that dumb Jerry Remy's blocking continuity in the middle!

It's the easiest & most beneficial change in the interrim. A small hallway running parallel to the existing pre-security hallway connecting B & C. C40-42 could be renumbered to B gates.

When C is finally overhauled, which could include the food court being redesigned, then they could be connected back to the rest of C giving a total B-C connection.

I guess another option would be to build the sterile corridor connecting C40-42 to C along the food court and just provide floor-to-ceiling plate glass where the exterior windows are now so you can still see out from the food court/let light in through the sterile corridor.

Something like this:

_._._._._._|_____||

_._ = Food Court
| = Plate glass (would need to be a rated assembly)
___ = Sterile Corridor
|| = Exterior glazed curtain wall

Last edited:
It's the easiest & most beneficial change in the interrim. A small hallway running parallel to the existing pre-security hallway connecting B & C. C40-42 could be renumbered to B gates.

When C is finally overhauled, which could include the food court being redesigned, then they could be connected back to the rest of C giving a total B-C connection.

I guess another option would be to build the sterile corridor connecting C40-42 to C along the food court and just provide floor-to-ceiling plate glass where the exterior windows are now so you can still see out from the food court/let light in through the sterile corridor.

Something like this:

_._._._._._|_____||

_._ = Food Court
| = Plate glass (would need to be a rated assembly)
___ = Sterile Corridor
|| = Exterior glazed curtain wall

That was proposed at one point with the C connector on the other side. I remember seeing plans, but I have no idea what happened to it...

Who was behind the overhaul in Terminal C to have a consolidated security checkpoint and expanded counters for JetBlue? Was that a joint thing between Massport and JetBlue.

As it stands right now, which gates does Virgin America operate out of?

Virgin America operates out of 40-42. Alaska also operates out of 40-42. Looking at departures for today, the frequency for both carriers is such that the gates are underutilized.

Who was behind the overhaul in Terminal C to have a consolidated security checkpoint and expanded counters for JetBlue? Was that a joint thing between Massport and JetBlue.

As it stands right now, which gates does Virgin America operate out of?

Mass -- Massport was the main ingredient in the mix -- but Jet Blue as Logan's Big Dog these days obviously got to put their sense even if not their cents into that redo.

Massport generally funds the common spaces and the airlines are expected to chip-in on the gates that they use and any amenities in the immediate area -- so for example US Air at B and American at B in the past -- then United at B or now once again the new AA at B

So Jet Blue would be expected to kick in to redo the Piers of C of which it is the dominant user -- but the proposed connector to the two C orphan gates would be Massport as would any redo again of the lobby and retail on the public side of the security

Mass --
So Jet Blue would be expected to kick in to redo the Piers of C of which it is the dominant user -- but the proposed connector to the two C orphan gates would be Massport as would any redo again of the lobby and retail on the public side of the security

So, Jet Blue paid for the design and build out if it's new Gates 8,9,10 in the new post-security connector, connecting C to E? If so, they did a beautiful job, those holding areas are the most comfortable, most high-end gate areas at Logan...and at any airport I've ever flown out of. MassPort did a spectacular job with the connector as well. Such a difference from the very dull, very boring grays and whites of the Terminal A walkway tunnel, to the very colorful, engaging C/E connector.

Virgin America operates out of 40-42. Alaska also operates out of 40-42. Looking at departures for today, the frequency for both carriers is such that the gates are underutilized.

Alaska is expanding.

The orphan gates are perfect - for shuttle service. In and out.

Idiotic for west coast flights.

Alaska is expanding.

The orphan gates are perfect - for shuttle service. In and out.

Idiotic for west coast flights.

Where will Alaska be expanding to? Logan is already one of their larger stations east of the Mississippi with flights to Seattle, Portland and San Diego. Once the merger is fully complete, they can add Los Angeles and San Francisco to their mix.

Back