Logan Airport Capital Projects

Where will Alaska be expanding to? Logan is already one of their larger stations east of the Mississippi with flights to Seattle, Portland and San Diego. Once the merger is fully complete, they can add Los Angeles and San Francisco to their mix.

Maybe they try and compete with JetBlue on non-stops to Las Vegas? I have always been amazed that there isn't more non-stop service between BOS and LAS although I understand that there is little business travel on that route. JetBlue has 2 daily non-stops going each way correct? Slim pickings on the return for those of us who try and avoid red eyes.

Maybe they try and compete with JetBlue on non-stops to Las Vegas? I have always been amazed that there isn't more non-stop service between BOS and LAS although I understand that there is little business travel on that route. JetBlue has 2 daily non-stops going each way correct? Slim pickings on the return for those of us who try and avoid red eyes.

2 flights from jetblue (7:00 pm and 9:55 pm) and 1 from spirit (6:40 pm).

This is a great website: http://www.flightconnections.com/
This is for the current week's schedule so some flights like b6 bos-atl aren't in it yet

Where will Alaska be expanding to?

I mean in general. With Virgin theyre not just a west coast airline.

No reason Alaska cant take you from Boston to Cancun

Governor Cuomo in NY is proposing to essentially completely rebuild JFK. How is it New York is able to completely rebuild their 2 main airports and we cannot have Logan completely rebuilt?

Governor Cuomo in NY is proposing to essentially completely rebuild JFK. How is it New York is able to completely rebuild their 2 main airports and we cannot have Logan completely rebuilt?

Logan doesn't need to be completely rebuilt.

We should be thankful that Massport doesn't behave like the Port Authority.

Cuomo is *saying* a lot.

^ You may have missed it, but Logan has in fact been substantially rebuilt over the last 15-20 years, with work continuing today.

Logan doesn't need to be completely rebuilt.

We should be thankful that Massport doesn't behave like the Port Authority.

+1.
Logan could use some upgrades and renovations/additions, but there's no need for a complete rebuild.

+1.
Logan could use some upgrades and renovations/additions, but there's no need for a complete rebuild.

+2

It's been a pleasure watching the steady stream of improvements continue to roll out. E-C connector was exceptionally well done, as was B-B connector.

The 3 key areas for improvement that Massport should really act on are: finish connecting all gate areas in all terminals post security, eventually overhaul the low-ceilinged old terminal hold areas in C and parts of B, and, proceed with the terminal E expansion toward the blue line to increase international capacity. Honestly, except for these "big 3", I have few/no complaints about Logan these days.

If Massport can pull that off over the next decade, they deserve some sort of airport authority award.

I am not saying Logan needs to be completely rebuilt - Massport has made some nice upgrades over the last decade (though there are still some areas that need work see Terminal C beyond security). I am wondering why doing a complete rebuild was never on the table when NY is able to completely rebuild both LaGuardia (work is already under way) and JFK?

I guess I am just a little flabbergasted that both LaGuardia and JFK could potentially be completely rebuilt new airports come 2025.

I am not saying Logan needs to be completely rebuilt - Massport has made some nice upgrades over the last decade (though there are still some areas that need work see Terminal C beyond security). I am wondering why doing a complete rebuild was never on the table when NY is able to completely rebuild both LaGuardia (work is already under way) and JFK?

I guess I am just a little flabbergasted that both LaGuardia and JFK could potentially be completely rebuilt new airports come 2025.

Because for a complete rebuild to be necessary, the airport has to deteriorate to a "third world" state, and thank goodness that's not the case for Logan. Massport has been responsible to spend slowly and consistently, and by the end of 2018 will have raised the interior finishes and functionality of A, B, E, and the parking garages to a high standard, for way less than a complete rebuild would cost. The only really crappy parts left are the C piers and perhaps the soon-to-be-former AA gates depending on what they do for Southwest.

NY needs to essentially do a Big Dig here, while Massport has done this work in the normal flow of business, and will be able to maintain and refresh everything continuously over time.

I'm not one to use this term lightly and I say this as a bleed-blue Dem, but you are drinking some serious Cuomo Kool-Aid. There's absolutely no reason to believe that even LGA will be done by 2025, let alone JFK too. He keeps making these bizarre lofty goals to redo all kinds of transit infrastructure in NYC (including Penn Sta & the PA Bus Terminal not to be discussed in this thread).

Massport has a very sophisticated funding structure for capital projects & they have been slowly & consistently improving Logan since the 80s with the Terminal B food court & pier modifications.

Massport is by all accounts a well-run and professional organization. The Port Authority is, um..., not.

+2

It's been a pleasure watching the steady stream of improvements continue to roll out. E-C connector was exceptionally well done, as was B-B connector.

The 3 key areas for improvement that Massport should really act on are: finish connecting all gate areas in all terminals post security, eventually overhaul the low-ceilinged old terminal hold areas in C and parts of B, and, proceed with the terminal E expansion toward the blue line to increase international capacity. Honestly, except for these "big 3", I have few/no complaints about Logan these days.

If Massport can pull that off over the next decade, they deserve some sort of airport authority award.

I agree with your list if, by "connecting all gate areas in terminals post security" you don't just mean via corridors but something like a "skytrain" that would simultaneously connect terminals while providing some Logan-wide design themes. Although nothing as bad as LGA or JFK, Logan suffers from a very palpable sense of cobbled-togetherness. A major infrastructural project like a skytrain would not only be a very practical/needed for global competitiveness improvement, but could inject a little visual coherence if done well.

I'm not one to use this term lightly and I say this as a bleed-blue Dem, but you are drinking some serious Cuomo Kool-Aid. There's absolutely no reason to believe that even LGA will be done by 2025, let alone JFK too. He keeps making these bizarre lofty goals to redo all kinds of transit infrastructure in NYC (including Penn Sta & the PA Bus Terminal not to be discussed in this thread).

Massport has a very sophisticated funding structure for capital projects & they have been slowly & consistently improving Logan since the 80s with the Terminal B food court & pier modifications.

Maybe it was all the flashy photos of the proposal that made me a little bit jealous. I just read the price tag for JFK is $10 Billion. Adding the LaGuardia, you're talking about $14 Billion to overhaul the 2 NYC airports - assuming no costs overruns of course which I highly doubt there would be any.

..and from some perspectives, Logan WAS substantially rebuilt over the last 20 years.

- All of terminal A
- 1/2 of Terminal E
- 1/4 to 1/2 of Term B&C
- various air-side connectors

plus

- Completely new roadway configuration
- Renovated & expanded central parking
- Gerbil tubes
- New hotels
- New civil / private aviation facility
- Several new hangars & fire station
- ConRAC
- Airport Station (blue line)
- new runway & taxiways
- new shuttlebus fleet

plus

- tons of new buffer space & parks in Eastie

Only thing they didn't touch is the control tower.

Haven't seen the details, but my understanding is that the proposed JFK makeover has a similar scope - i.e. not 100% new, but extensively redeveloped.

Massport should get a ton of credit for doing a great job on this all the way back to the 'Logan 2000' days...

..and from some perspectives, Logan WAS substantially rebuilt over the last 20 years.

- All of terminal A
- 1/2 of Terminal E
- 1/4 to 1/2 of Term B&C
- various air-side connectors

plus

- Completely new roadway configuration
- Renovated & expanded central parking
- Gerbil tubes
- New hotels
- New civil / private aviation facility
- Several new hangars & fire station
- ConRAC
- Airport Station (blue line)
- new runway & taxiways
- new shuttlebus fleet

plus

- tons of new buffer space & parks in Eastie

Only thing they didn't touch is the control tower.

Haven't seen the details, but my understanding is that the proposed JFK makeover has a similar scope - i.e. not 100% new, but extensively redeveloped.

Massport should get a ton of credit for doing a great job on this all the way back to the 'Logan 2000' days...

Yes and yes...but add to it: a substantial new rental car facility

and while we are at it, a new Logan express facility in Framingham. Overall, Massport has done a great job with Logan. As someone who flies 2x-4x per week, I think Logan is way better than the vast majority of airports I go to.

Logan is also constrained by geography in a way that will prevent a rebuild into a single terminal airport. Anything short of that doesn't seem like it would offer much over what is in the pipeline or already done.

Back