Logan Airport Capital Projects

From the people I've spoken to, the sole issue is having enough operators and buses to cover that. If you implemented it as is, it would result in a drop in service because even with the boarding friction at the combined stops, it still takes less time than two full loops of traffic filled Logan.
Makes you think about the Logan roadways.

Make all the cars run through Central Parking drop off/pickup like Uber and Lyft, and leave the roadways to the terminals free for large multi-occupant vehicles. (Cue the outrage!)

Are there any american airports that charge for personal dropoffs yet? If Uber/Lyft get $3.25 it seems fair personal vehicles should too at some point, especially since basically ALL personal vehicle dropoff/pickups deadhead in one direction.

UK Airports routinely do this:
Edinburgh does 2GBP for up to 5 minutes, 4GBP for up to 10 mins, 10GBP for 15 mins and continues up from there. Specifically structured to encourage quick dropoffs and pickups.
Newcastle does 2GBP for up to 10 mins, 4GBP for up 30 mins and up from there.
Manchester does 3GBP for 5 mins, 4GBP for 10 mins and up from there.

A lot of them offer free dropoffs at a remote location, usually economy parking lots, with a bus or walking connection. They also traditionally have recirculation fees, like Manchester hits you with a 25GBP fee if you leave and reenter the curbside area, to prevent people circling the airport endlessly. It encourages people to wait in a cell phone lot for their passengers to arrive then go pick them up. This would all help with the tons of people I see blocking the buses on the arrival levels at Logan (especially Terminal B). Maybe even use the newly freed up old TNC lots and keep personal pickups off the roadway entirely.

The UK has standardized numberplates and very open laws about their uses so the systems are all numberplate monitored, you pull up to the exit and the system already knows how much to charge you for your stay.

Like DFW airport? By car = $6 to cut through in less than 8 minutes, $2 to visit 8 to 30, $3 for 30 to 120 minutes

I can confirm that prep work on the expansion of Terminal E has begun. I was on the SL3 the other day and saw field offices, a lot of earth movers and several places where the tall Jersey barrier fences have been removed and more flexible fencing in it's place both over where the Gulf station was located and between the Delta hanger and the UPS warehouse.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but are they tearing down the UPS facility to expand Terminal E? It seems to be in the way right now. Where will UPS go?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but are they tearing down the UPS facility to expand Terminal E? It seems to be in the way right now. Where will UPS go?
Navigator -- if you go to the Massport website devoted to the Logan Forward there is access to both a table and a map
this is what the table has relevant to Term E

Terminal E Modernization (4)New service road, permanent road reconfiguration.Ongoing, expected completion late November 2019Please be aware of construction activities in the area.

the map which is a pdf shows the area of interest for that particular project as of Nov 18

I think that before they do anything about the terminal project itself they need to reconfigure the immediate area such as the Service Road -- that's my guess as to what is underway

Phase 1 (through 2021) will likely not require demolition of the UPS facility, but Phase 2 (through 2026) will definitely. Wonder where it will move to..

1574989736656.png

Overnight they closed the departures road system. It seems so they could cut and remove the walkway tube between the old admin tower and (I.M.Peis) current control tower.

As of 11:30 pm, showers of sparks were falling on to the departures roadway as they cut the tube from both ends while it was held up in the middle by a crane.

Last edited:
A good read from July 2019
CNBC: Delta says the next big battle between airlines will take place on the ground
Key points:
  • Recent profits and a strong U.S. economy are giving airlines the opportunity to invest more in the airport experience.
  • Many airports are setting new monthly passenger records.
  • Delta thinks it can get a leg up on the competition as the edge on fares and in-cabin services becomes more limited.
  • Delta is investing in Clear & biometrics to speed people through the terminal and is investing in terminal buildings where it can
I will admit that after splitting my business between JetBlue and Delta in 2019 (with scraps to UA, AA, & Norwegian), I've decided to try to be a Delta guy for 2019--partly for the A220s to LGA and DTW, but partly because Terminal A's curbside works so much better than Terminal C.

Delta is investing in Clear & biometrics to speed people through the terminal and is investing in terminal buildings where it can

This is apparently hit or miss. I think they're trying these on international flights first, then will expand this out to domestic. I've only heard the bad stories, but apparently it has also worked well. The system is very buggy right now, leading to the attendants to just board planes the normal way. Once they solve all the kinks I'd be interested to see how this works out.

Logan Forward update on current project work

b-to-c-connector.png
image.png

Terminal B to C Connector Project (1)
(1)There will be a complete road closure of arrivals and departures level roadways to facilitate the demolition of an overhead walkway. All departures and arrivals traffic will be detoured on the arrivals level through Terminals B and C.January 11 - 12, 2020 from 4:00PM to 9:00AM. AND January 12 - 13 11:00PM - 8:00AM.
Viaduct Demolition Departures Roadway (2)

Shoulder closure of the sidewalk and structure adjacent to Terminal C entrance.Ongoing work from 12:00AM to 7:00AM scheduled to be completed January 27, 2020.
Terminal C/Demolition of Departure Deck in preparation for New Canopy (3)

One Terminal C entrance lane at Arrivals will be shut down.Ongoing work from 12:00AM to 8:00AM is scheduled to be completed February 27, 2020.
or you can see things on a map in pdf

Note nothing to see concerning Term E project except prep work on the access to the site

By the way -- the Logan Forward public information initiative -- is a good model for the T's projects [perhaps for GLX and the South Station Air-rights project]?

Last edited:
This looks like it's going to be very tight in the area of the E expansion. Have to wonder why Massport is not going to move the State Police barracks and the economy parking garage to accommodate more space for planes to park and also open up the taxi ways a bit for when the expansion is complete.

Are there any plans to upgrade the I.M. Pei designed control tower, particularly now that the old administration building will no longer be yoked to it?

Istanbul has cool lighting on their distinctive tower. Maybe all ours needs is upgraded glazing and some better feature lighting.

IMG_20200121_171821043.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any plans to upgrade the I.M. Pei designed control tower, particularly now that the old administration building will no longer be yoked to it?

Istanbul has cool lighting on their distinctive tower. Maybe all IRS needs is upgraded glazing and some better feature lighting.

View attachment 2874

I'm not 100% sure that they could if they wanted to. Control towers are at the very least heavily regulated, if not outright owned by the FAA, and the FAA are not big fans of artifice.

When I worked at SFO, it was accepted that the only reason that airport got an architecturally-distinctive control tower as opposed to a concrete pole and a cab was because Nancy Pelosi wanted a vanity project at her home airport.

I don't know whether there would be any objection to lighting and new windows, but I doubt you'd get any Federal support for it.

Are they still putting in the monorail? I didn't hear any more talk about that. or are they canceling it again?

Last edited:
Are they still putting in the monorail? I didn't here any more talk about that. or are they canceling it again?
That is the long term vision but not part of any of the current round of construction.

As for construction updates, they've moved the taxis to central parking from Terminal C as they continue work on the canopy and roadways. Arguably think they should keep them there and keep the front curbs HOV only like they are now.

So the monorail is just a damn pipe dream. Like it was before!! :mad:

Back