Logan Airport Capital Projects

JumboBuc

Reaction score
Replying here to Blackbird's post in another thread:
I'm wondering how Logan is planning to handle rising sea levels should the prophecy come to pass. Even if (by some miracle) sea level rise isn't pronounced enough to flood Logan, would Boston need a second airport anyway if it keeps growing? If so, where would that second airport go, or are Manch and PVD enough?
Logan is in much better position for sea-level rise than many would assume. Sure, it's right on the water, but most of it actually isn't very low-lying. The neighborhoods of East Boston around it, for example, are at much more flood risk than the airport itself is.

You can play around with projected flooding depths here. It takes until about a 100-year storm in the 2070s before Logan sees significant storm surge inundation, and in that case much of the city is already under water. Plus Logan can shrug off a storm surge after the waters recede much better than, say, the entire South End can.

Obviously its all a system and everything is interrelated, but by the time we end up with water deep enough to flood Logan, Logan will be pretty low on our list of concerns.

RandomWalk

Reaction score
That UPS facility looks substantially larger than the old one. Is UPS expecting an increase in volume through BOS?

shmessy

Reaction score
That UPS facility looks substantially larger than the old one. Is UPS expecting an increase in volume through BOS?
I'm hoping (wishing/praying) that it can be part of the answer for selling off their Fort Point Channel monstrosity blocking the future of Boston.

However, for that to happen, it would have to be alot larger than the facility shown in the above pic from Beeline today.

Stlin

Reaction score
I'm hoping (wishing/praying) that it can be part of the answer for selling off their Fort Point Channel monstrosity blocking the future of Boston.

However, for that to happen, it would have to be alot larger than the facility shown in the above pic from Beeline today.
?? I think you may have confused the USPS (The post office) with UPS (a private FedEx competitor). The Fort Channel building immediately adjacent to South Station is USPS, and UPS is down by Reserved in the industrial area there.

The Post office, being a government agency with security concerns, is why Dorchester Ave is closed, and I don't think it's willing to give up it's site without a fight. They don't exactly have the cash to have the eminiment domain fight/ parcel acquisition to abandon it and build a new equally large Sectional Sort Facility somewhere else, but allegedly massport has the land available down by E street.

Last edited:

mass88

Reaction score
Great shots Beeline.

Looks like they're essentially building phase 1 as planned initially. Nice to see that all 4 of the new gates appear to have dual jet bridges. It's amazing what higher ceilings can do to really make an otherwise narrow concourse look and feel a lot bigger. Would have been nice if they had raised all the ceilings in in the existing piers in terminal B 10-12 feet as part of the expansion project over there.

shmessy

Reaction score
?? I think you may have confused the USPS (The post office) with UPS (a private FedEx competitor). The Fort Channel building immediately adjacent to South Station is USPS, and UPS is down by Reserved in the industrial area there.

The Post office, being a government agency with security concerns, is why Dorchester Ave is closed, and I don't think it's willing to give up it's site without a fight. They don't exactly have the cash to have the eminiment domain fight/ parcel acquisition to abandon it and build a new equally large Sectional Sort Facility somewhere else, but allegedly massport has the land available down by E street.

Yup, that's me blushing beet red with embarrassment - - reading too quick and sloppy and not noting the post referenced UPS and not USPS.............

1600796727591.png

Oh well, back to my Quality Control job at the nuclear power plant!