Logan Airport Capital Projects

Replying here to Blackbird's post in another thread:
I'm wondering how Logan is planning to handle rising sea levels should the prophecy come to pass. Even if (by some miracle) sea level rise isn't pronounced enough to flood Logan, would Boston need a second airport anyway if it keeps growing? If so, where would that second airport go, or are Manch and PVD enough?
Logan is in much better position for sea-level rise than many would assume. Sure, it's right on the water, but most of it actually isn't very low-lying. The neighborhoods of East Boston around it, for example, are at much more flood risk than the airport itself is.

You can play around with projected flooding depths here. It takes until about a 100-year storm in the 2070s before Logan sees significant storm surge inundation, and in that case much of the city is already under water. Plus Logan can shrug off a storm surge after the waters recede much better than, say, the entire South End can.

Obviously its all a system and everything is interrelated, but by the time we end up with water deep enough to flood Logan, Logan will be pretty low on our list of concerns.

That UPS facility looks substantially larger than the old one. Is UPS expecting an increase in volume through BOS?

Most recent Massport slides:

This is what they're still building at Terminal E. I think it almost looks nicer with the symmetry from airside:

1600699335323.png

1600699361197.png

1600699382103.png

1600699403110.png

1600699435549.png

That UPS facility looks substantially larger than the old one. Is UPS expecting an increase in volume through BOS?

I'm hoping (wishing/praying) that it can be part of the answer for selling off their Fort Point Channel monstrosity blocking the future of Boston.

However, for that to happen, it would have to be alot larger than the facility shown in the above pic from Beeline today.

I'm hoping (wishing/praying) that it can be part of the answer for selling off their Fort Point Channel monstrosity blocking the future of Boston.

However, for that to happen, it would have to be alot larger than the facility shown in the above pic from Beeline today.
?? I think you may have confused the USPS (The post office) with UPS (a private FedEx competitor). The Fort Channel building immediately adjacent to South Station is USPS, and UPS is down by Reserved in the industrial area there.

The Post office, being a government agency with security concerns, is why Dorchester Ave is closed, and I don't think it's willing to give up it's site without a fight. They don't exactly have the cash to have the eminiment domain fight/ parcel acquisition to abandon it and build a new equally large Sectional Sort Facility somewhere else, but allegedly massport has the land available down by E street.

Last edited:
Great shots Beeline.

Looks like they're essentially building phase 1 as planned initially. Nice to see that all 4 of the new gates appear to have dual jet bridges. It's amazing what higher ceilings can do to really make an otherwise narrow concourse look and feel a lot bigger. Would have been nice if they had raised all the ceilings in in the existing piers in terminal B 10-12 feet as part of the expansion project over there.

?? I think you may have confused the USPS (The post office) with UPS (a private FedEx competitor). The Fort Channel building immediately adjacent to South Station is USPS, and UPS is down by Reserved in the industrial area there.

The Post office, being a government agency with security concerns, is why Dorchester Ave is closed, and I don't think it's willing to give up it's site without a fight. They don't exactly have the cash to have the eminiment domain fight/ parcel acquisition to abandon it and build a new equally large Sectional Sort Facility somewhere else, but allegedly massport has the land available down by E street.

Yup, that's me blushing beet red with embarrassment - - reading too quick and sloppy and not noting the post referenced UPS and not USPS.............

1600796727591.png

Oh well, back to my Quality Control job at the nuclear power plant!

Massport deferring capital projects as passenger travel dips to levels not seen in fifty years.

After steadily rising from its nadir in the spring, passenger traffic actually fell in August from July. Total monthly passengers dropped 5 percent, to 700,000. Meanwhile, many other major airports continued to see upticks that month, including those serving Detroit, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Miami.

Only one state, New York, is experiencing a substantially bigger year-over-year decline in passenger flights than Massachusetts this month. Flights in Massachusetts — predominantly reflecting Logan activity — are down 61 percent year over year, compared to a national average of nearly 50 percent.

As a result, the port authority in the spring trimmed its operating budget from $900 million in 2019 to $600 million for fiscal 2021.

But now, make that $540 million: Massport officials are lowering the bar even further, to budget for as few as 8 million passengers this fiscal year.

To put this in perspective: The port authority hasn’t seen fewer than 10 million passengers at Logan, the authority’s main money-maker, in one year since the mid-1970s.

I can't read the article, but do they highlight any specific projects? Terminal E phase 1 is well underway, the B and C roadways are well underway, the B to C connector is underway and the C canopy is under way.

I can't read the article, but do they highlight any specific projects? Terminal E phase 1 is well underway, the B and C roadways are well underway, the B to C connector is underway and the C canopy is under way.

No. The article focuses on the fact that Logan Airport is in financially dire straits.

The article mentions "some capital projects", but names only one: a new parking garage for E. That parking garage is to have 2,000 spaces.

Subtle discrepancy between these two. The render shows the second level jet bridge gone from E12 but it’s there in the schematic. Unlikely 3 A380 gates will be required so quite plausible that it disappears.

If they do build them then I sincerely hope they build ones that can be used for double boarding non A380s. Still baffles me that the first ones were not built this way

Is it fair to say that the single shorter column just beyond the winglet marks the west end of the current phase of the expansion?

I'm not certain when this was captured, but Street View on Google Maps captured the construction and gives a good perspective of the size.

The photos above are more recent, but this lets you freely explore!

I'm not certain when this was captured, but Street View on Google Maps captured the construction and gives a good perspective of the size.

The photos above are more recent, but this lets you freely explore!

Good find. You can also see the other major projects - the B to C connector, the roadway work and C canopy.

Back