Logan Airport Capital Projects

From this weekend. The last photo was from Legal Harborside in the Seaport.

Attachments

• IMG_3966.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_3977.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3978.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3981.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3982.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3983.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3984.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4008.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 284
It genuinely surprised me this afternoon to discover how prominent the Terminal E expansion looked from the Seaport. I imagine the reverse may be true and surprise travelers at Logan as well.
2CA319C2-A702-4C7A-8DFA-BFA2A8C072CC.jpeg

Here a shoutout to Runway 14/32 which transformed Logan Airport starting 15 years ago (Dec 2006), From being one of the East Coast least predictable airports if the winds were unfavorable to being an airport where we don’t think of Logan anymore as crazy unreliable.

I think it should be a reminder that all modes work better if they have a system for being predictable

Last edited:
Logan officials have moved forward with plans to add four new gates at its crowded international terminal. But future plans to add another three gates have been put on pause by the pandemic, a sign of the long-term uncertainties facing the industry and the airport.

“Phase two will happen when we have a finance plan and the passenger demand resurfaces,” said Jennifer Mehigan, a Massport spokeswoman.

From a longer article profiling the slow upward trajectory of passenger travel at Logan. Domestic travel's rebound still lags behind most other U.S. airports.

The thing that I had hoped to see built was the People Mover, but I don't think it'll happen. :(

Speaking of runways... Does anyone actually still use 15L/33R? Other than cape and maybe boutique, I can't think of anyone that flies something small enough to use the thing.

Speaking of runways... Does anyone actually still use 15L/33R? Other than cape and maybe boutique, I can't think of anyone that flies something small enough to use the thing.

There are a lot of Cape Air flights. And there is general aviation traffic at Logan, I assume at least some of it is small enough for it?

Massport shares the runway usage stats in a nice spreadsheet on their website. While 32 did have some arrivals in 2020 prior to the pandemic, since April of last year both 14/32 have not been used for any operations. Curious to know if that's due to volumes, airline/air traffic control preferences, other factors?

Massport shares the runway usage stats in a nice spreadsheet on their website. While 32 did have some arrivals in 2020 prior to the pandemic, since April of last year both 14/32 have not been used for any operations. Curious to know if that's due to volumes, airline/air traffic control preferences, other factors?

Note that's only showing jet traffic. Cape Air's Cessnas and other prop planes aren't included in that.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they weren't using it with how low traffic has been, just noting that that's not a complete list of operations.

Last edited:
Beeline, thanx as always for your pictorial updates! That said, it has been noted that Google manages to erase planes at airports, cars from streets, etc. I think you may have borrowed their algorithm.

Great photos Beeline. Looks like they're making some good progress on the expansion. In relation to Logan, this thing is huge and going to be quite a facility compared to the rest of the airport. Hopefully they'll get phase 2 back on the books in the next year or so.

Back