Logan Airport Capital Projects

Aer Lingus uses the A330-300 on their daily (double daily late March through late October) and the A321 on their daily Shannon service. I've never taken the flight since it moved to C, but have taken a number of JetBlue flights that left around the same time as one of the Dublin flights and it can be very cramped in that area of C. It's pretty surprising that JetBlue hasn't worked with Massport to rebuild their piers. The B to C connector is great. The low gate area of E they redid a couple of years ago looks great. The check in area (as alluded to) is great. The piers where the bulk of their gates are leave a lot to be desired.

Delta has their daily Dublin flights (on a 767-300) depart from A (given the preclearance), but they have a bit more space in the A satellite that JetBlue does so it never feels too cramped.

Completely agree on the piers, but bear in mind that Massport - not JetBlue - was responsible for those connectors. I may be wrong, but AA, United, and Delta (particularly Delta) worked much more closely with Massport on their terminals.

Years ago I sketched out a sequence for how Massport could do this. EDIT: Took 5 minutes to update this today with new satellite imagery and gate counts with the B-C connector.

1682611195431.png

1682611215881.png

1682611233979.png

1682611256984.png

1682611515106.png

Last edited:
Completely agree on the piers, but bear in mind that Massport - not JetBlue - was responsible for those connectors. I may be wrong, but AA, United, and Delta (particularly Delta) worked much more closely with Massport on their terminals.

Years ago I sketched out a sequence for how Massport could do this.

View attachment 37065
View attachment 37066
View attachment 37067
View attachment 37068
View attachment 37069

Can you re-send those sketches? The links wouldn't work.

You are correct regarding the upgrades that Delta (Terminal A), American (the their side of be expansion and consolidation) and United (their portion of B expansion) in working with Massport. Given Boston is their second biggest station, I am surprised that JetBlue hasn't worked with Massport to expand/rebuild their piers. I knew Massport was the driver on the B to C connector and the low E gate work and both projects came out great.

Can you re-send those sketches? The links wouldn't work.

You are correct regarding the upgrades that Delta (Terminal A), American (the their side of be expansion and consolidation) and United (their portion of B expansion) in working with Massport. Given Boston is their second biggest station, I am surprised that JetBlue hasn't worked with Massport to expand/rebuild their piers. I knew Massport was the driver on the B to C connector and the low E gate work and both projects came out great.

I don't think you can expand the piers much in terms of gates, though you can widen them. The only way to add a couple would be to go with an underground connector or a bridge, but I think it wouldn't be worth the cost. One thing I'd think you'd want to do in a rebuild would be to relocate whatever club space is going to be in C (JetBlue of course doesn't operate a club but there's a third-party one) off of the pier, either to above the connector hallway or to above the security check or somewhere else in an expanded headhouse - that's how you get the high ceilings and wide concourse that you should be wanting on the new hammerhead. One reason the current piers feel so cramped is that the backside of them isn't part of the concourse.

I imagine that JetBlue doesn't want substantial disruption to their ops - of course my sketches don't account for baggage handling and ground ops spaces that would need to be accommodated.

Incidentally, we know this is nowhere on Massport's radar screen - their next terminal project is the A/B Connector and Delta is the airline pushing them hard on space. That said, I'd have to assume that as JetBlue adds more European departures (and if they happen at C) it will start to become a competitiveness issue for them. I'd rather board a flight to London, Paris, or Amsterdam at any of the other possible options (A for Delta, E for everyone else) than at C. Maybe with their A321LRs they can board the Europe flights on the B-C connector and use nicer gates...

Last edited:
Wonderful drawings and a plan that makes sense in terms of the phasing and the final product. I agree regarding the gates, but they could be completely rebuilt in the way you have they laid out that would provide a bit more physical space. Massport could also go vertical too. Think the location of the United Club over in B and the new Chase Lounge also over in B. Massport could finally add a Centurion Lounge about the rebuilt C and even have retail and food offerings on a second level.

Wonderful drawings and a plan that makes sense in terms of the phasing and the final product. I agree regarding the gates, but they could be completely rebuilt in the way you have they laid out that would provide a bit more physical space. Massport could also go vertical too. Think the location of the United Club over in B and the new Chase Lounge also over in B. Massport could finally add a Centurion Lounge about the rebuilt C and even have retail and food offerings on a second level.

Another thing Massport could do with a new C is build out a more dedicated space for Cape Air. Like, actually build a nice multi-level waiting space and apron-level door instead of repurposing a gate built for jetways. Cape Air is too much of a Logan Airport institution to have such a half-asked facility.

I kind of picture a Centurion Lounge going in above the security checkpoint.

1683810469020.png

Massport made their March meeting deck available. For those wondering about the security checkpoint in E post expansion, it will indeed be a single checkpoint, albeit a lot larger than the existing one. The above image was on the slide that included the breakdown of the E phase 1B scope which will include:

1683810563673.png

Attachments

• 1683809805353.png
    1683809805353.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 1683810405631.png
    1683810405631.png
    1 MB · Views: 69
View attachment 37746

Massport made their March meeting deck available. For those wondering about the security checkpoint in E post expansion, it will indeed be a single checkpoint, albeit a lot larger than the existing one. The above image was on the slide that included the breakdown of the E phase 1B scope which will include:

View attachment 37747

You included the slide on restored CIP projects as a thumbnail. Terminal E Phase 1B (not Phase 2 with the extra gates and Blue Line connector); E Garage; Braintree LEX; North Airfield Optimization; and Central Heating Plant upgrades are back. Terminal E Phase 2 and A-B connector headline what is not. I think that in the Terminal A case that's because Delta has changed their requirements and Massport is rethinking the project a bit, as it appears on the following slide in the 10-year timeframe as a "New Strategic Initiative", not a suspended project.

No mention on that slide of the people-mover, so I think it's safe to say it's dead for now.

Nice to see "Terminal C Modernization" in there under "replace aging infrastructure". Let's hope they mean "replace" literally.

You included the slide on restored CIP projects as a thumbnail. Terminal E Phase 1B (not Phase 2 with the extra gates and Blue Line connector); E Garage; Braintree LEX; North Airfield Optimization; and Central Heating Plant upgrades are back. Terminal E Phase 2 and A-B connector headline what is not. I think that in the Terminal A case that's because Delta has changed their requirements and Massport is rethinking the project a bit, as it appears on the following slide in the 10-year timeframe as a "New Strategic Initiative", not a suspended project.

No mention on that slide of the people-mover, so I think it's safe to say it's dead for now.

Nice to see "Terminal C Modernization" in there under "replace aging infrastructure". Let's hope they mean "replace" literally.

Let's hope. Something tells me the APM is either completely dead, or not something we'll see even begin construction this decade. I'd be curious to know what sort of optimizations they have in the works for the north airfield?

Chase lounge is 11,640 sf and offers a nice airfield view. It's in a good location if you're flying say United, or Alaska or Spirit.

Some photos of the Chase Lounge (pulled from an article on thepointsguy):

1683818131628.png

1683818153089.png

1683818183072.png

1683818228099.png

1683818257475.png

1683818306327.png

1683818330748.png

1683818357892.png

Let's hope. Something tells me the APM is either completely dead, or not something we'll see even begin construction this decade. I'd be curious to know what sort of optimizations they have in the works for the north airfield?

Chase lounge is 11,640 sf and offers a nice airfield view. It's in a good location if you're flying say United, or Alaska or Spirit.

Some photos of the Chase Lounge (pulled from an article on thepointsguy):

View attachment 37751

View attachment 37752

View attachment 37753
View attachment 37754
View attachment 37755
View attachment 37756
View attachment 37757
View attachment 37758

dang, shouldn't have downgraded my CSR to CSP...

I hope I am wrong but I doubt "modernization" in this context = a new terminal C or even new piers. This seems like it may be more like a lipstick on a pig situation.

I hope I am wrong but I doubt "modernization" in this context = a new terminal C or even new piers. This seems like it may be more like a lipstick on a pig situation.
To get a new Terminal C you would have to pull a very creative La Guardia-style modernization effort, with a multi-billion $ price tag.

You wouldn't need to completely demolish all of the terminal C. Just the areas in yellow. Apart from the piers, Massport has either rebuilt and expanded, or optimized large portions of C. The new B to C connector. The C to E optimization. A consolidated and expanded security checkpoint. The roadways at both arrivals and departures. New canopy. Equilibria upthread has a nice layout of how it could be logistically done. It wouldn't be a project on the scale of what happened at LaGuardia.

1683909809269.png

You wouldn't need to completely demolish all of the terminal C. Just the areas in yellow. Apart from the piers, Massport has either rebuilt and expanded, or optimized large portions of C. The new B to C connector. The C to E optimization. A consolidated and expanded security checkpoint. The roadways at both arrivals and departures. New canopy. Equilibria upthread has a nice layout of how it could be logistically done. It wouldn't be a project on the scale of what happened at LaGuardia.

View attachment 37809
Yes, the curb space and canopies were reworked. No, they are still not adequate.

The whole terminal area you show in the image (from the tower to the old Terminal D) should be in play to get a real, modern Terminal C.

I noticed some very large pilings going in just north of the employee parking garage and next to the fuel tanks. Anyone know what this is going to be?

I noticed some very large pilings going in just north of the employee parking garage and next to the fuel tanks. Anyone know what this is going to be?
Per the March slide deck, I think it might have something to do with their investment strategy to get Logan Airport (facilities) to net zero emissions within the decade.

A peoplemover can't come soon enough at logan. The 22 bus was horrendously bad at 5pm on a Wednesday even though they've attempted to make it less-bad by separating terminal drop off from terminal pickup. Suggestions:

1) If Logan is going to run DROP-OFF ONLY 22s why not drop off on the DEPARTURES level? Running dropoff-only on Arrivals is double-bad:
a) it taunts the arrivals passengers, who ask/beg to be let on when the bus stops to drop off, and that delays everyone​
b) it drops off departing passengers on the arrivals level. That's sick, adding a needless elevator/escalator ride​

2) Make it clear to those boarding the PICKUP 22 BUS at A that they need to better-stow their bags because two more stops at Terminal B are yet to come

3) Get the ride down to less than 20 MINUTES from A to the Blue line. No wonder Google Maps suggested I bike from A to the Blue Line. 22-Blue-GLX to Medford/Tufts took an hour mostly because the 22 took 20 minutes.

4) Time for a free Gold Line (or maybe SLN) BRT from Logan to North Station, or NS-Haymarket-Logan.

5) Time to call the siblings at Massport Sumner/Callahan and have a HOT/HOV3+ lane in those tunnels. Toll in the HOT lane would be double the other lane.

6) If Eastie needs to be bought-off for losing "its lane" in the tunnels, Run some Bennington Street service thru the same HOT lane

7) Get lots more buses generally. And better-explain stops: Everyone from A Arrivals had no idea what B1 and B2 were. Rent a Car people were super confused by, what to them, was an unexplained stop at Blue Line (particulary because it came after a whole lotta random-feeling street time)

Last edited:
Is this where you saw it? There's a fifth jet fuel tank going in there. It's being built on massive concrete piles.

Back