Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

^^ I guess I'm approaching this as a service redistribution challenge. I think demographics would bear out the idea that the Metro-West is full of business travelers who are the market for these flights, and others in the Northeast Corridor. Why not use Logan for long-haul domestic and international flights, and Hanscom for business/shuttle traffic (and some freight).

In any event, I'm all for dedicated high-speed rail, but who's gonna pay for that?

1. Use of Hanscom discriminates in favor of Metro-West v. the other suburbs, whereas Logan is equidistant from most of the metro area.

2. Hanscom has no transit access and probably would never have proper heavy rail rapid transit access given the T's budget and the disposition of wealthy neighbors (let's face it, you can only ever build a proper airport in an area where you can be constantly shitting on the locals' complaints and demands).

3. It would actually make more sense to have short haul business travel (i.e. the shuttles) use Logan, with its proximity to downtown. If you're taking a cross-country or international flight, it's fine to take the time to journey to Hanscom, but not for a one hour shuttle. Other cities' airport configurations bear this out: London, for example, has City Airport available exclusively for short haul flights, whereas Heathrow is way out. Reagan National is closer to DC than BWI or Dulles...etc., etc.

Wow, that's an insane amount of flights.

Think of all the carbon/airport congestion that could be saved by increasing capacity and speed on Acela.

Yes, please. Most of Amtrak is subsidized, but Acela is actually rather profitable. This seems like a no-brainer to me.

I believe there are track upgrades in the works to allow the train to runn at higher speeds in certain areas. Read an article on this recently, but can't recall where. They are also finally adding WiFi.

Not really necessary given how many businessmen on it have 3G cards, but it is pathetic that even the T's commuter rail had WiFi before Acela.

It isn't discriminatory to move the commuter flights closer to the homes and workplaces of the people who use them. High tech jobs in the 128 belt do a lot of flying to NY and Washington. It would free space at Logan up for the more varied flying of Greater Boston.

That said, commercial jets at Hanscom will never, ever, ever happen. The closest we got to a Boston area airport outside Logan's current location was at Devens in the mid '90s. Ted Kennedy liked to talk about how residents there were begging him to use the land for a hazardous waste dump and save them from the evil airport.

There were commercial flights from Hanscom as recently as a few years ago, though.

According to "travel new england", theres a consolidated rental car facility being built at logan to open by 2013, which has been reducded by one level....

I havent heard of this, anyone have info on it?

According to "travel new england", theres a consolidated rental car facility being built at logan to open by 2013, which has been reducded by one level....

I havent heard of this, anyone have info on it?

Does anyone have any further info of the rental facility? I know Massport just upped the car rental fee to help fund this project.

This looks very phased, so I wouldn't expect garages with that sort of surface area going up anytime soon.

A quick glance at Google Earth makes a walkway from Central Parking or Terminal A look pretty challenging, but it should be possible. You could trash some more of those buses, and for businesspeople who hate to wait at the curb it would be a usable option.

there's been a walkway from Central Parking to Terminal A for years now.

According to the pdf this will eliminate a good number of shuttles, but it's sad that in an airport as small as Logan people can't just walk. I guess it's not feasible to just put the rental car facility on the first couple floors of central parking?

According to the pdf this will eliminate a good number of shuttles, but it's sad that in an airport as small as Logan people can't just walk. I guess it's not feasible to just put the rental car facility on the first couple floors of central parking?

Hopefully we get a $1billion rail shuttle from the terminal to the rental garage and T stop, just like phoenix!

(the airport shuttle will cost as much as their entire light rail system)

I bet most US Air flights to Philly are carrying people making connections at their hub there, so maybe not.

I bet most US Air flights to Philly are carrying people making connections at their hub there, so maybe not.

USAirways definately has more connecting passengers than O&D on their Boston-Philadelphia flights. But given the average fare is about $360 one way, for such a short trip, LCC competition will lower that far a great amount. Many people either fly into Providence of Manchester, take the train, the bus, or simply drive. The market fluctuates between 590 and 670 people a day. I would say that will go up a good amount thanks to the low fares Southwest will throw at the route.

USAir namely connects people through PHL for flights to Europe and the Caribbean.

Now all we need for them to add Nashville which has been vacant from Boston for too long. No need to worry about JetBlue retaliation as they closed the station. Either Southwest or JetBlue could also add a flight or 2 down to Houston Hobby.

Back