Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Now all we need for them to add Nashville which has been vacant from Boston for too long..

It hasn't been that long at all. I booked a Delta BOS-->BNA non-stop last spring. 2 weeks before my flight in the middle of June I received notification from Delta that they were stopping BOS-->Nashville route and was re-booked with a connection in Cincy. So, its been about 8 months since there was non-stop service between these airports.

If I could pick a route for more service it would be BOS-->San Diego. With American pulling out, JetBlue is all that's left and the only return flights are red-eyes. Also, it would be nice to see more non-stop service to Caribbean destination such as St. Thomas, St. Marten and Jamaica.

It hasn't been that long at all. I booked a Delta BOS-->BNA non-stop last spring. 2 weeks before my flight in the middle of June I received notification from Delta that they were stopping BOS-->Nashville route and was re-booked with a connection in Cincy. So, its been about 8 months since there was non-stop service between these airports.

If I could pick a route for more service it would be BOS-->San Diego. With American pulling out, JetBlue is all that's left and the only return flights are red-eyes. Also, it would be nice to see more non-stop service to Caribbean destination such as St. Thomas, St. Marten and Jamaica.

JetBlue has plans to add a second daily flight on Boston to San Diego. So you can now get a daylight flight. Boston-San Diego is a large enough market to warrant 2 daily flights, even without hubs on either end.

Also, JetBlue has stepped in and added quite a bit of service down to the Caribbean. In addition to Bermuda, San Juan and Nassua, they have added Aruba, Cancun, St. Maarten, Montego Bay, Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. They continue to build up Boston nicely.

JetBlue has plans to add a second daily flight on Boston to San Diego. So you can now get a daylight flight. Boston-San Diego is a large enough market to warrant 2 daily flights, even without hubs on either end.

Also, JetBlue has stepped in and added quite a bit of service down to the Caribbean. In addition to Bermuda, San Juan and Nassua, they have added Aruba, Cancun, St. Maarten, Montego Bay, Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. They continue to build up Boston nicely.

JetBlue has Boston--->St. Maarten non-stop service? I know they fly to Aruba, Cancun, San Juan etc. but thought their only service to St. Maarten was via JFK.

JetBlue has Boston--->St. Maarten non-stop service? I know they fly to Aruba, Cancun, San Juan etc. but thought their only service to St. Maarten was via JFK.

FYI, this map shows JetBlue service routes. Click on Boston, then click "see all destinations from this city", then check "non-stop flights only" to see all non-stop JetBlue service from BOS.

http://jetblue.com/wherewejet/

At this rate I give it only 7 years before JetBlue is as unpopular as USAirways or Delta.

JetBlue continues its growth:

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/today-in-travel/jetblue-grows-in-boston.html?id=4832353

Also, did the international terminal finish its makeover (wasn't part of the plan to create two more international gates)? Any words on how all the international (trans-atlantic) flights are doing and if any new international service is in the works?

JetBlue is adding daily PHX flights in response to Southwest adding it in September. It's clearly a reaction, just as BWI was. I am surprised JetBlue did not jump on Philadelphia before Southwest did.

As far as one could tell, Boston-Europe seems to be doing just fine. All the usual summer adds, Lufthansa going doubler daily on Frankfurt, Delta going double daily on Amsterdam, etc. all are happening. According to Massport numbers, Boston-Europe/Africa is up 5%.

Boston is pretty well served to Europe. The only market I could see that is lacking service would be Brussels. But American started a tag on from the Boston-London Heathrow flights.

JetBlue is adding daily PHX flights in response to Southwest adding it in September. It's clearly a reaction, just as BWI was. I am surprised JetBlue did not jump on Philadelphia before Southwest did.

As far as one could tell, Boston-Europe seems to be doing just fine. All the usual summer adds, Lufthansa going doubler daily on Frankfurt, Delta going double daily on Amsterdam, etc. all are happening. According to Massport numbers, Boston-Europe/Africa is up 5%.

Boston is pretty well served to Europe. The only market I could see that is lacking service would be Brussels. But American started a tag on from the Boston-London Heathrow flights.

JetBlue seems to be following Southwest instead of trying to make the first move. The service to Phoenix, which JetBlue did try before, will be a bloodbath with US Airways, JetBlue, and Southwest flying it (and two of those having hubs in Phoenix).

Very nice on the European front. How is Iberia doing on its service to Madrid? That route surprised me and I'm guessing it is mainly focused on feeding through the hub in Madrid and onto other points.

Any insight on any new international coming on-board? The 787, hopefully, will enter the market by the end of the year.

JetBlue seems to be following Southwest instead of trying to make the first move. The service to Phoenix, which JetBlue did try before, will be a bloodbath with US Airways, JetBlue, and Southwest flying it (and two of those having hubs in Phoenix).

Very nice on the European front. How is Iberia doing on its service to Madrid? That route surprised me and I'm guessing it is mainly focused on feeding through the hub in Madrid and onto other points.

Any insight on any new international coming on-board? The 787, hopefully, will enter the market by the end of the year.

I have read a lot of comments saying JetBlue should have been more proactive instead of following Southwest. Southwest has come in an entered into some great markets from Boston and markets that needed competition.....BWI and PHL come to mind. Especially PHL.

JetBlue tried Phoenix and cut it. That route would be a great seasonal route for them, as for 7 months out of the year, it had good loads and a good yield.

The Madrid route performs well for 6-7 months. During the winter it only runs 3 times a week I believe.

There has been some talk that once American and British Airways get ATI, then Boston to Madrid will be run daily, year round with a 752. It would be upgraded to a 763 during the high April through October season.

There is not a ton of Boston-Spain traffic, so the majority of passengers on Boston to Madrid are being fed to other European and North African cities.

The global air travel market is starting to rebound and I would expect Boston to see solid numbers for 2010. Hopefully that will bring along more European service. I mentioned Brussels as a good market.

The 787 is progressing nicely. It will be to see Boston finally get non-stop service to Asia without any weight restrictions or triangle service.

My money is on All Nippon to Tokyo or Korean Air to Seoul. But I would not rule out Delta to Tokyo.

I have read a lot of comments saying JetBlue should have been more proactive instead of following Southwest. Southwest has come in an entered into some great markets from Boston and markets that needed competition.....BWI and PHL come to mind. Especially PHL.

JetBlue tried Phoenix and cut it. That route would be a great seasonal route for them, as for 7 months out of the year, it had good loads and a good yield.

The Madrid route performs well for 6-7 months. During the winter it only runs 3 times a week I believe.

There has been some talk that once American and British Airways get ATI, then Boston to Madrid will be run daily, year round with a 752. It would be upgraded to a 763 during the high April through October season.

There is not a ton of Boston-Spain traffic, so the majority of passengers on Boston to Madrid are being fed to other European and North African cities.

The global air travel market is starting to rebound and I would expect Boston to see solid numbers for 2010. Hopefully that will bring along more European service. I mentioned Brussels as a good market.

The 787 is progressing nicely. It will be to see Boston finally get non-stop service to Asia without any weight restrictions or triangle service.

My money is on All Nippon to Tokyo or Korean Air to Seoul. But I would not rule out Delta to Tokyo.

Great info. Glad to hear the Boston-Madrid flight doing better than I thought.
Looks like BA-AA could get its approval as early as month: http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/may2010/gb20100524_424876.htm

I'll be interested to see how the UA-CO merger shakes up Boston. I'm guessing though it hasn't done a whole lot to when DL/NW merged.

I know that Korean Air seems very, very set on coming to Boston. Might be a better airline than Tokyo, since Korean Air has a rather big network and no slot restrictions to feed through its hub in Seoul to the rest of Asia/Australia.

If Korean Air came, would SkyTeam partner Delta start up a Boston-Tokyo route?

Great info. Glad to hear the Boston-Madrid flight doing better than I thought.
Looks like BA-AA could get its approval as early as month: http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/may2010/gb20100524_424876.htm

I'll be interested to see how the UA-CO merger shakes up Boston. I'm guessing though it hasn't done a whole lot to when DL/NW merged.

I know that Korean Air seems very, very set on coming to Boston. Might be a better airline than Tokyo, since Korean Air has a rather big network and no slot restrictions to feed through its hub in Seoul to the rest of Asia/Australia.

If Korean Air came, would SkyTeam partner Delta start up a Boston-Tokyo route?

The good thing about the CO-UA merger for BOS is that they don't have any overlapping routes. So the combined airline will continue to offer year round daily services to Newark, Cleveland, Houston, Washington, D.C. - Dulles, Chicago - O'Hare, Denver, Los Angeles and San Francisco. All of those cities see at least 2 daily year round flights. The only issue is going to be what happens to the gates and where the combined airline operates out of.

I don't think Boston will see more than 1 flight to Asia...yet. Boston is a massive market to Asia and currently the largest market without non-stop service to China or Japan in the U.S. Korean Air has a very strong case for the reasons you mentioned. Any Boston-Asia flight would be very heavy on passengers either starting or ending in Boston. Not a lot of connecting opportunities through BOS on a SkyTeam or Star Alliance partner.

It's going to be very interesting to see what comes of the rebound for Boston as the economy starts to pick up.

Considering our large high-tech industry it's surprising that we still don't have any flights to India.

Considering our large high-tech industry it's surprising that we still don't have any flights to India.

And considering the Brazilian population, it's surprising theres no flight to Belo Horizonte.

And considering the Brazilian population, it's surprising theres no flight to Belo Horizonte.

It all low yielding VFR (visiting friends and relative) traffic. If an airline would do it, and had the plane configured properly, Boston could easily support a year round non-stop flight to Brazil, at least 4-5 times a week. American and Delta carry a TON of Boston - Brazil traffic via Miami and Atlanta.

India is well served on Lufthansa via Munich or Frankfurt. Lufthansa does a good job capturing the India traffic from U.S. cities without non-stop service to India.

India is well served on Lufthansa via Munich or Frankfurt. Lufthansa does a good job capturing the India traffic from U.S. cities without non-stop service to India.

When I worked for British Airways, we'd routinely have upwards of 25% of the planes transiting onward to India. A growing population travelling to South Asia will probably be one of the biggest reasons for when (I don't think it's an if, even if it's not immediate) that Emirates, Etihad or another Middle Eastern airline will enter the Boston market. The traffic travelling to the regions of the world where connecting via one of the Middle Eastern hubs makes sense is pretty big.

When I worked for British Airways, we'd routinely have upwards of 25% of the planes transiting onward to India. A growing population travelling to South Asia will probably be one of the biggest reasons for when (I don't think it's an if, even if it's not immediate) that Emirates, Etihad or another Middle Eastern airline will enter the Boston market. The traffic travelling to the regions of the world where connecting via one of the Middle Eastern hubs makes sense is pretty big.

All 3 of those Gulf airlines are expanding at a good pace. I too would not be surprised if Boston were to land 1 of them in the next 4-5 years. They all, especially Emirates, have done a good job capturing traffic to and from the Central Asia region.

With the amount of flights jetblue has from Boston, i wonder if it is reasonable to assume they have Green or Manchester on their radar (little pun intended). Especially since southwest is already at both.

If they really wanted to be proactive, they could start out of Worcester. I wonder if that would work.

All 3 of those Gulf airlines are expanding at a good pace. I too would not be surprised if Boston were to land 1 of them in the next 4-5 years. They all, especially Emirates, have done a good job capturing traffic to and from the Central Asia region.

Emirates would be a great addition to Boston. A great product, a growing route network that will be extremely attractive through a non-restricted hub in Dubai. Not to mention they serve quite of few destinations that other carriers don't.

I'm guessing they'll focus on adding Chicago, Washington, and Miami first before Boston. I believe Emirates plans to add 4-5 more U.S. cities in the next few years. Would the 787 be what would get Emirates to Boston?

If Boston could get Korean Air to Seoul, ANA or Delta to Tokyo, and an airline like Emirates to Dubai/Middle East, flying out of Logan will be very attractive and a great carrot for businesses to come to Boston.

With the amount of flights jetblue has from Boston, i wonder if it is reasonable to assume they have Green or Manchester on their radar (little pun intended). Especially since southwest is already at both.

If they really wanted to be proactive, they could start out of Worcester. I wonder if that would work.

I don't really see JetBlue gaining anything from going into any other airports and going head-to-head with Southwest (and I think the Florida market is really the only thing they could go after). Not to mention the costs to open a new city, dedicate aircraft, and the manage the service and the airport station costs. Better off building up the hub out of Boston.

Emirates would be a great addition to Boston. A great product, a growing route network that will be extremely attractive through a non-restricted hub in Dubai. Not to mention they serve quite of few destinations that other carriers don't.

I'm guessing they'll focus on adding Chicago, Washington, and Miami first before Boston. I believe Emirates plans to add 4-5 more U.S. cities in the next few years. Would the 787 be what would get Emirates to Boston?

If Boston could get Korean Air to Seoul, ANA or Delta to Tokyo, and an airline like Emirates to Dubai/Middle East, flying out of Logan will be very attractive and a great carrot for businesses to come to Boston.

I don't really see JetBlue gaining anything from going into any other airports and going head-to-head with Southwest (and I think the Florida market is really the only thing they could go after). Not to mention the costs to open a new city, dedicate aircraft, and the manage the service and the airport station costs. Better off building up the hub out of Boston.

I think Chicago will be the first choice to expansion in the US. I am a little unsure on Washington, D.C. though. They already have service to Doha on Qatar and Dubai on United. I am not saying they will not see service, i just think Emirates will look elsewhere first. Miami would be a good choice for the tourism aspect. Miami is a popular tourist destination and has good numbers to Central Asia.

The 787 would not be necessary for Emirates to start BOS service. The Boeing 777-200LR could make it work.

Boston is going to get service to Asia, it's only a matter of time. I would very much like to see Boston get flights to both Seoul and Tokyo, but that is going to take some time. Boston will start with 1 city and I think within 2-3 years, another will be added. Massport appears to aggressively going after foreign carriers. When Boston gets the non-stop service, the market will only increase thanks to the typical increases a non-stop brings. Also, people who would usually fly out of Providence or Manchester would opt for Boston and the non-stop.

Back