Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

For my money and time, I'll take Jet Blue or Virgin America over American on that route any day. I fly it often as my girlfriend lives out there (in fact, I'll be flying it next week on Virgin America). I doubt many people will miss American on that route.

I flew it once on Airtran (stop in Milwaukee) and didn't mind the layover breaking up the trip a bit.

I'm planning a trip to South America and am kinda miffed that there's no direct service even to northern hubs like Panama City or Bogota. There seem to be more than enough Brazilians around here to justify service on TAM; Logan's surprising number of direct flights to Portugal and even Cape Verde make this a logical next step.

I'm planning a trip to South America and am kinda miffed that there's no direct service even to northern hubs like Panama City or Bogota. There seem to be more than enough Brazilians around here to justify service on TAM; Logan's surprising number of direct flights to Portugal and even Cape Verde make this a logical next step.

Based on the local market, Boston could support at least 5 weekly year round flights to Brazil. The problem is that the yield is quite low. It's pretty much all VFR (Visiting Friends and Family) which does not generate high fares. There really isn't a plane that could run the route profitably. Nor is there an airline that would want to start it currently. In the future, I could see TAM running the flight with a 763. If it were within range of a 752, I have no doubt we would have already seen a Boston to Sao Paulo, or Rio flight.

The unfortunate thing is that Boston has not been able to sustain flights to Mexico City.

I can't imagine there's that much business travel to Portugal or Cape Verde, though. And there are plenty of direct flights to Caribbean destinations that don't really get high yielding business class passengers. And Irish business contacts certainly aren't the reason for all the Aer Lingus flights out of Logan. Is it just an issue of being out of range for the right aircraft?

I can't imagine there's that much business travel to Portugal or Cape Verde, though. And there are plenty of direct flights to Caribbean destinations that don't really get high yielding business class passengers. And Irish business contacts certainly aren't the reason for all the Aer Lingus flights out of Logan. Is it just an issue of being out of range for the right aircraft?

There is actually some decent business ties between the Boston area and Ireland. This is of course in addition to the tourism and family ties.

If a 752 could make it, you would see daily Boston-Brazil flights. The 762 would also be a good size, that sucker is just a gas guzzler.

The different between low yielding tourists going to St. Thomas as opposed to a low yielding Brazilian going to Recife to visit family is the length. The cost to fly a passengers is greater as the length increases, which is pretty obvious. Also, you have a good number of wealthy people going on vacation to the islands and a good amount will pay for first class service.

How about service to Central America then? Plenty of resorts, range same as Caribbean, probably a fair amount of family visits. Couldn't San Jose or Panama City get service?

How about service to Central America then? Plenty of resorts, range same as Caribbean, probably a fair amount of family visits. Couldn't San Jose or Panama City get service?

We had service on TACA to San Salvador until around 2006. The route was so marginal that when TACA decided it no longer wanted to overnight its aircraft but rather have it arrive at around 4am, Customs and Immigration said that they wouldn't staff the hall for one flight and TACA pulled the route.

The thing with VFR and tourist routes is that they generally aren't high-yielding so in order to be profitable the route must either be a short length or you have to have an aircraft with enough seats so that all the smaller fares can result in a small profit. In TACA's case, they were flying an A319 with about 120 passengers on a route in excess of five hours. In the end, the only way to make the route profitable was to keep the aircraft in the air for as long as possible and when that wasn't an option, the route was yanked. This, despite the fact that of the Latin American populations, the Central American one (particularly from El Salvador) is one of the largest in the Boston-area.

Aeromexico didn't surprise me too much. The route was very long and there aren't many Mexicans in Boston. Much of the flight was connecting and the departure time meant an arrival in MEX that missed a lot of the connections into Central and South America.

American is continuing to cut BOS. RDU, or Raleigh/Durham will be cut. That will leave JetBlue and Delta on the route with 6 daily flights between them (3 each).

Also to note, America, British Airways and Iberia have been granted Anti Trust Immunity (ATI). This means they will now be able to operate flights as one airline and share the costs and profits. Air France/KLM and Delta have the same thing going already.

Some have speculated AA will leave the route (BOS-LHR) and BA will up their service to 4 daily year round flights and a 744 will operate at least 2 of the 4 flights and all 4 will go to 744 for the April to October high season.

But at the same time, this also means the airlines involved will surely add Trans Atlantic flights. Which means Boston could see daily year round service to Madrid. Currently Iberia runs the route year round, but it only runs daily for a 2-3 month window and then 3-5 times a week in the low season. American could take over the route and run a daily 752 for the low season with Iberia adding back their 343 daily for the high season.

^ BA is superior to AA so it would be amazing if the former replaced the latter fully to LHR. Of course, BA's quality could suffer from dilution with the Iberia merger, too...

I don't know if this tool has been mentioned here yet, but it's pretty cool to see all the flights heading to and from Logan at any particular time and if one zooms out, all KBOS flights are visible worldwide. Sometimes it will show an odd charter or extra flight, such as a lear jet heading to Boston from Kona, Hawaii last night or a Damler-owned jet heading from KBOS to Stuttgart a couple of weeks back.

American is continuing to cut BOS. RDU, or Raleigh/Durham will be cut. That will leave JetBlue and Delta on the route with 6 daily flights between them (3 each).

Also to note, America, British Airways and Iberia have been granted Anti Trust Immunity (ATI). This means they will now be able to operate flights as one airline and share the costs and profits. Air France/KLM and Delta have the same thing going already.

Some have speculated AA will leave the route (BOS-LHR) and BA will up their service to 4 daily year round flights and a 744 will operate at least 2 of the 4 flights and all 4 will go to 744 for the April to October high season.

But at the same time, this also means the airlines involved will surely add Trans Atlantic flights. Which means Boston could see daily year round service to Madrid. Currently Iberia runs the route year round, but it only runs daily for a 2-3 month window and then 3-5 times a week in the low season. American could take over the route and run a daily 752 for the low season with Iberia adding back their 343 daily for the high season.

BA serves 3 flights (one morning and 2 evening departures) as of now, correct? How many does AA fly? Would the additional BA flight be an evening flight?

It'll be interesting to see Iberia. Seems like that is a route that relies mostly on connecting traffic.

^ BA is superior to AA so it would be amazing if the former replaced the latter fully to LHR. Of course, BA's quality could suffer from dilution with the Iberia merger, too...

I don't think BA will suffer. They can't afford to. All the airlines are improving (Lufthansa, Swiss, Air France). Not to mention the competitor in Virgin Atlantic on the Boston-London route.

If anything, I wonder if Iberia would improve with this move.

Is Jetblue is the only airline which offers nonstop from Boston to New Orleans?

All i could find anyways.

That would seem logical, New Orleans isn't that big of a market and for a long time had no non-stop service to Boston at all.

BA serves 3 flights (one morning and 2 evening departures) as of now, correct? How many does AA fly? Would the additional BA flight be an evening flight?

It'll be interesting to see Iberia. Seems like that is a route that relies mostly on connecting traffic.

Currently AA runs 3 x daily flights on BOS-LHR-BOS.

Is Jetblue is the only airline which offers nonstop from Boston to New Orleans?

All i could find anyways.

Yes, JetBlue is currently the only airline that flies Boston-New Orleans non-stop daily year round. Prior to JetBlue adding the route, it was one of the biggest holes in BOS's network. All we need now is Nashville and there is a good chance Southwest will be adding it.

American used to fly the route daily on a seasonal basis, but it was cut as part of their large BOS pull down.

A strange question, but any idea of where I could find some in-depth statistics on the passenger numbers (O&D stats), where they are from, premium travelers vs. economy, reason for visit (leisure or business)?

Any way to this for the Boston area in general with all visitors? Economic impact they have.

A strange question, but any idea of where I could find some in-depth statistics on the passenger numbers (O&D stats), where they are from, premium travelers vs. economy, reason for visit (leisure or business)?

Any way to this for the Boston area in general with all visitors? Economic impact they have.

That would be a load of DOT stats. You can check their site, but you would have to dig a lot.

I can tell you this, BOS is the 9th largest airport in the United States for O&D. BOS is the 5th largest O&D airport for Europe. Considering that BOS sees leakage to PVD, MHT, BDL and PWM, that is pretty good. You can check a site like faremeasure.com or farereport.com to find out average fares and the number of passengers flying between certain markets.

I can't wait until we get a non-stop flight to Asia, that market will see even more stimulation.

These markets alll have on average over 1,000 daily passengers
New York
Washintgon, D.C.
Chicago
Atlanta
Los Angeles
Baltimore
Denver
Orlando
Tampa
Ft. Lauderdale
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Las Vegas(seasonal)
San Francisco
Ft. Meyers (seasonal)
West Palm Beach (seasonal)

Washington, D.C., New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Atlanta, Baltimore and Dallas/Ft. Worth are the 10 largest markets from BOS.

London, England is the largest European market.

That would be a load of DOT stats. You can check their site, but you would have to dig a lot.

I can tell you this, BOS is the 9th largest airport in the United States for O&D. BOS is the 5th largest O&D airport for Europe. Considering that BOS sees leakage to PVD, MHT, BDL and PWM, that is pretty good. You can check a site like faremeasure.com or farereport.com to find out average fares and the number of passengers flying between certain markets.

I can't wait until we get a non-stop flight to Asia, that market will see even more stimulation.

These markets alll have on average over 1,000 daily passengers
New York
Washintgon, D.C.
Chicago
Atlanta
Los Angeles
Baltimore
Denver
Orlando
Tampa
Ft. Lauderdale
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Las Vegas(seasonal)
San Francisco
Ft. Meyers (seasonal)
West Palm Beach (seasonal)

Washington, D.C., New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Atlanta, Baltimore and Dallas/Ft. Worth are the 10 largest markets from BOS.

London, England is the largest European market.

Thanks for the tips. Is that 1,000 passengers on flights from those cities (including connecting passengers) or people who come from those cities as their home base?

I was just looking for details on Boston's visitors/tourism/business visitors stats.

As for Asia, it shouldn't be too far away.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-Air-Lines-Moves-to-prnews-9732261.html?x=0&.v=1

Looks like Delta is going to give Boston-London another shot. At least this time they're going to LHR instead of LGW. Very interesting move either way. Twice daily year round service on a Boeing 767-300ER.

This is most likely the result of the recent ATI between American and British Airways. They are required to give up slots on the BOS-LHR sector and MIA-LHR as well.

Back