Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I am going to guess that more than 50% of the passengers on the Dubai flights start and end in Boston, but having JetBlue be able to feed in some passengers certainly helps.

Emirates has probably killed any chance of Boston getting a non-stop to India, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Mass -- India's alternative carriers are rapidly growing as are the number of modern international terminals

I think there's a very good chance of Boston - Bangaluru or Boston - Hyderabad in the relatively near future

Remember that for all its obvious extreme poverty in both rural and urban areas, that India has a middle class of comparable size as the US' with a highly entrepreneurial and technologically sophisticated well educated, english speaking population -- ideal for a BOS flight

I think there's a very good chance of Boston - Bangaluru or Boston - Hyderabad in the relatively near future

Bangalore and Hyderabad have a grand total of ZERO direct flights to the United States. If they ever get one, it won't be Boston.

Mumbai and Delhi are the only Indian cities that are potential candidates for nonstop routes from Logan.

I am going to guess that more than 50% of the passengers on the Dubai flights start and end in Boston, but having JetBlue be able to feed in some passengers certainly helps.

Emirates has probably killed any chance of Boston getting a non-stop to India, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

No arguments with you on the Boston feed.

I don't think non-stop flights to India is a big deal anymore with all of the options now available to connect through, right?

No arguments with you on the Boston feed.

I don't think non-stop flights to India is a big deal anymore with all of the options now available to connect through, right?

I am going to assume Emirates has come in and stolen a lot of traffic from British Airways, KLM/Delta, Air France and Lufthansa. Emirates has a larger network to India than the 4 big European carriers and connecting through Dubai does not add that mush extra onto the total trip, less than 300 miles I believe than connecting through Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and London.

While this is not a statement on the entire market, I have several Indian friends who were very excited Emirates began service to Boston and all of them now use it to go home and their relatives use it when they come to visit, where a lot of them used to fly with Lufthansa and British Airways.

I am going to assume Emirates has come in and stolen a lot of traffic from British Airways, KLM/Delta, Air France and Lufthansa. Emirates has a larger network to India than the 4 big European carriers and connecting through Dubai does not add that mush extra onto the total trip, less than 300 miles I believe than connecting through Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and London.

While this is not a statement on the entire market, I have several Indian friends who were very excited Emirates began service to Boston and all of them now use it to go home and their relatives use it when they come to visit, where a lot of them used to fly with Lufthansa and British Airways.

How much does Turkish compete on the North America/Boston-India traffic?

Is there also a rumor of Qatar coming?

Bangalore and Hyderabad have a grand total of ZERO direct flights to the United States. If they ever get one, it won't be Boston.

Mumbai and Delhi are the only Indian cities that are potential candidates for nonstop routes from Logan.

Lexicon -- today perhaps

Those two cities in India are rapidly developing into international destinations

They have very modern international airports and are developing significant non- Air India operations

I give it 5 years before we see a new or one of the rapidly growing carriers beginning service to the US -- and I would put BOS on or near the top of the list due to similar community profiles

There's a good chance it has stimulated growth. Going to Delhi via DXB actually adds almost 1200 miles round trip but it goes down the more southernly your India destination is.

How much does Turkish compete on the North America/Boston-India traffic?

Turkish only flies to BOM and DEL: the two biggest markets. Schedule wise - you have longer layovers going through Istanbul as well.

Is there also a rumor of Qatar coming?

There's always been talk of it especially publicly but Qatar's Americas strategy changed upon entering One World as "Our next US destinations will be Atlanta, Boston, Detroit" became "We are flying to Philadelphia, Miami, and Dallas."

I wouldn't rule out Etihad as well especially with 789's entering their fleet.

Lexicon -- today perhaps
Those two cities in India are rapidly developing into international destinations

Its #1 Delhi (better connecting point), #2 Mumbai or bust for a Boston-India flight. I wouldn't be surprised if it came about within the next 5-7 years if either Jet Airways (preferred) or Air India straightens itself out. There are no other Indian carriers who fly longhaul.

Air India is a also pain to deal with - just ask Boeing. I wouldn't be surprised if they were bargaining for 4 years of abated landing fees.

In other news - it looks as though Copa Airlines is going down to 5-6 weekly depending on the week (i.e college spring break, april vacation) for most of March though all of May. Found this while pricing out BOS-LIM flights.

BOS-PTY will not run Wednesdays and some Fridays
PTY-BOS will not run Tuesdays and some Thursdays

If they were smart, they would do the same from mid-september through Mid-November.

Perhaps an undernoted effect of having non-stop flights from Asia and the Middle East: increased numbers of patients at Boston hospitals.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...en-hospital/eKD4tUTt6CsbBXoumYvrTL/story.html

Could be "Chicken or Egg".

Really which effected which?

I would put forth that the undernoted effect were the non-stop flights, not the international hospital visits. The international hospital visits were already on the rise (and so were the hotels around those hospitals) thus helping necessitate the new non-stop flights.

This may get interesting:

Spirit announces Boston - Detroit/Cleveland/Las Vegas.
Vegas appears to be year round where the other two are seasonal.

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=890110

I always wonder why there isn't a lot more non-stop service between BOS and LAS. I have flown the route at least a dozen times in the last decade and almost every single flight has been completely full and the fares are generally much higher than LAX or SFO. Am I wrong that there is only 1 non-redeye non-stop from LAS-BOS? The JetBlue flight that leaves at 12:45pm. Am I the only person who has no interest in staying in Vegas until 11pm after I have to check out my hotel 12 hours earlier?

Not Logan related but Jetblue has immediately added Fort Lauderdale-Cleveland/Detroit. This industry will always be noted for its pettiness.
Ok, clearly tit-for-tat on Jetblue's part, but not like Spirit shouldn't have known it was a cheap/easy/irresistable thing for Jetblue to do: FLL is a focus city that Jetblue'd want to defend, and CLE and DTW are classic underutilized BOS-only Jetblue spokes that cry out for better utilization to *someplace* (any place) in addition to BOS.

CLE-FLL and DTW-FLL are so provocative, that'd I'd almost believe that Spirit itself hitting Jetblue for something Jetblue'd done earlier.

Ok, clearly tit-for-tat on Jetblue's part, but not like Spirit shouldn't have known it was a cheap/easy/irresistable thing for Jetblue to do: FLL is a focus city that Jetblue'd want to defend, and CLE and DTW are classic underutilized BOS-only Jetblue spokes that cry out for better utilization to *someplace* (any place) in addition to BOS.

CLE-FLL and DTW-FLL are so provocative, that'd I'd almost believe that Spirit itself hitting Jetblue for something Jetblue'd done earlier.

Agree - this isn't the level of Northwest starting LGA-DFW when American started what I recall was LGA-MSP.

Cleveland and Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale makes perfect sense, apart from JetBlue trying to ht back at Spirit. Not hard to fill a plane to South Florida (Miami, or Ft. Lauderdale) from the Northeast and Midwest - tons of people heading down there for a cruise or to enjoy some sun.

I always wonder why there isn't a lot more non-stop service between BOS and LAS. I have flown the route at least a dozen times in the last decade and almost every single flight has been completely full and the fares are generally much higher than LAX or SFO. Am I wrong that there is only 1 non-redeye non-stop from LAS-BOS? The JetBlue flight that leaves at 12:45pm. Am I the only person who has no interest in staying in Vegas until 11pm after I have to check out my hotel 12 hours earlier?

Sub 200 fares and decent flight times - I would prefer the red eye for a short stay in Vegas. I may actually try this.

Back