Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Oh wow, sweet. So Terminal E will have a sheltered walking connection with the Blue Line station?

Oh wow, sweet. So Terminal E will have a sheltered walking connection with the Blue Line station?

Yeah, I think it's supposed to cover a moving walkway. Actually, it might be faster to take that walkway than the 22 and 33 buses departing from the Blue Line that now stop at the car rental center for 5-10 minutes before continuing on to the terminals. Really undermines the appeal of arriving via the Airport Station.

Yeah, I think it's supposed to cover a moving walkway. Actually, it might be faster to take that walkway than the 22 and 33 buses departing from the Blue Line that now stop at the car rental center for 5-10 minutes before continuing on to the terminals. Really undermines the appeal of arriving via the Airport Station.

Especially if your destination is Terminal E (or sometimes C). On a busy day it can take 10-15 minutes for the bus to make it all the way around from Terminal A to Terminal E.

Yes, though the document (p.3-32) clearly associates the MBTA passage with Phase 2, with an ETA of 2028.

Backpackers aside, I wonder how many passengers take the Blue Line / bus to an international flight? And the last thing I would want to do -- after spending perhaps 12 hours in airports and an airplane on an international flight -- is to schlep my way home via the Blue Line.

Backpackers aside, I wonder how many passengers take the Blue Line / bus to an international flight? And the last thing I would want to do -- after spending perhaps 12 hours in airports and an airplane on an international flight -- is to schlep my way home via the Blue Line.

How many people schlep from SFO to San Francisco on BART, or from Heathrow to Central London on the Underground? Public transit connections at airports have a pretty good track record with visitors.

A lot of people (myself included) don't like the idea of paying a cabbie $30 to drive a few miles. I'd rather walk and take the subway out of principle, even if I can afford the cab ride.

Not to mention that i think the growth of TransAtlantic low cost carriers, WOW, Norwegian, Eurowings, that are charging for everything have a growing client base that are more willing to take the T, at least part way than the transatlantic, business class.

Plus sometimes getting an uber or cab can be a pain at the airport, plus the fees are high. I have taken the blue line to downtown and hopped in an uber from there, saves 50% on the cab bill and often a time wash if you've ever stood in a logan cab stand.

12,000 people work at Logan
This. The reality is that study after study show that the base users of airport transit are employees.

At SFO, where United has a huge maintenance base, studies showed that it was going to be demand at the hangars that would drive use, but politicians went for the good-politics/bad-transit BART stop at the terminal. (the other problem is that the maintenance side of SFO is/was far from the passenger side)

Happily, Logan is compact enough that employees and travelers can use the Blue Line together.

But speaking for myself, I near-always prefer local transit vs uber/taxi even when on an expense account because it is a better way to get to know a city, and is usually way faster to core destinations anyway. The L is the better way to get to MDW/ORD to loop at rush hour, and MARTA from ATL to Peachtree is also great, and Metro from DCA to DC--but yes, you'll notice that at shift-change, all of these are dominated by employees, not travelers.

So the heaviest-laden international passengers will always take a car, but getting a moving sidewalk from C-E to the Blue is going to be well patronized as a simple, fast-enough way to use Logan for both passengers and employees.

The distance is roughly half a mile from the Blue Line station to Terminal E. Moving walkways move at 1.4 mph on average (according to a quick google search) and the average human stride is about 3 mph. So let's say that people will be moving at 4 mph on average to keep things conservative.

That would come out to 7.5 minutes of average travel time from Blue Line to Terminal E. Much faster than waiting for a bus and going around all the terminals. I think anyone who is reasonably fit and not overly burdened with multiple bags would utilize this.

Yeah exactly. Talking transit at Logan and thinking only about passengers is like talking about transit to Longwood and thinking only about patients.

Backpackers? Seriously? This post sounds like it was written by the snob-in-residence, Whighlander.

Hundreds if not thousands of people take public transit to Terminal E every day.

Backpackers? Seriously? This post sounds like it was written by the snob-in-residence, Whighlander.

Hundreds if not thousands of people take public transit to Terminal E every day.

At afternoon international arrival time, the Silver Line is mobbed with travelers at Terminal E. Not backpackers, just normal European visitors, who understand the value of transit service.

It is actually a major flaw in the Silver Line Logan concept -- because buses are often too full to accommodate the E traffic (after servicing A, B, C). There probably should be some E first pickup routes.

Especially if your destination is Terminal E (or sometimes C). On a busy day it can take 10-15 minutes for the bus to make it all the way around from Terminal A to Terminal E.

I take your point (it takes way too much time to get from Airport Station to Terminal E) but I think they have a bus that goes Airport Station/Car Rental/A and B (#22), and a second bus that goes Airport Station/Car Rental/C and E (#33).
It would be much worse if a single bus had to do all the terminals after Car Rental, so at least they don't attempt it (but yes, it still takes 10-20 minutes to get from Airport Station to any of the terminals whereas it used to be closer to half that time before the Car Rental stop became such a time sink.

Stellar -- -I've schlepped by T from a long International flight with a large roll around a small bag and my laptop numerous times -- most recently via Silver lIne to South Station and on to Alewife were a family member or friend then ferried me to Lexington

When I board the Silver Line at E I find there are usually quite afew passengers with bags already on board and several others always board at E as well -- when we unload at South Station the platform is full of people with bags

Fattony -- read my most recent post -- actually I'm a strong advocate of the Silver Line to South Station

and I disagree about the Silver Line stopping first at E -- the E pickups have the most baggage and are crowded hence you want to spend the minimum time getting to South Station

Now an E only Silver Line pickup with direct to the tunnel would be great

Eurowings Boston-Cologne service isn't long for the world it seems. Removed as of 8/26/16. Heard rumors of staffing issues on other boards.

Good news for Air Berlin, WOW, and Norwegian but possibly not great news for the affected passengers.

Not surprised. Dusseldorf and Cologne are part of the same metro area, having two carriers competing on a route that doesn't have a large origin and destination demand makes no sense.

Not surprised. Dusseldorf and Cologne are part of the same metro area, having two carriers competing on a route that doesn't have a large origin and destination demand makes no sense.

The O+D numbers were small in 2011 - 30 PDEW and I will admit us Americans do not flock to the two cities.

But...

Dusselfdorf/Cologne is dead center of the Blue Banana megalopolis in Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Banana There's 18 million people within 100 km of Dusseldorf and probably a bit less for Cologne. Lots of people from the area were taking a 2 hour train to Frankfurt or Amsterdam in years past. Brussels is also 2.5 hours away.

Both airlines were offering connections as well though Eurowings was only allowing a handful of German connections, Zurich, and Vienna. airBerlin is a very good option for Italy travel.

Eurowings Transatlantic has been an operational disaster for Lufthansa. That's the reason why the route is unfortunately going away but the silver lining is that this route most likely scared airBerlin into entering Boston and further changes in that airline's business model (focus on DUS and Berlin only) is leading to daily service next summer. Hopefully we see something year round from them moving forward or even a Berlin link.

Back