Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

^I'm assuming all on the A321? How's AeroMexico to Mexico City doing? I flew to Cozumel via DF last August (intentionally choosing the route over UA via Houston) and make a 24 hour stopover as I wanted to see a bit of the city.

I feel like if the timing of the DF flight were better, it would be an ideal gateway for leisure travelers to Mexico (beyond Cancun). At least a good alternative to some of the U.S. hubs with Mexico traffic from the NE like Houston or DFW. But you're right, I can't imagine more than maybe one or two of those happening. Even that would surprise me a bit.

http://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2016-0135-0001

Volaris made a bonkers route authority application on Friday to DOT. I don't think they have a huge plane order either for these routes.

Concerning Logan Airport it asks for "d. From Acapulco, Guadalajara, Huatulco, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Mexico City, Toluca, Monterrey, Puerto Vallarta, San Jose del Cabo, and lxtapa/ Zihuatanejo to Boston and New York, and beyond to Europe."

You probably need your head examined if you think they are all happening but Cabo and Puerto Vallarta could be game at some sort of 1-3 weekly frequency (seasonal too)

Guadalajara is their secondary hub. It's possible Boston could pick up service for connecting purposes, but is the MEX service going that well to begin with?

EDIT: Volaris currently has service from GDL to Chicago (both), DFW, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Fresno, Houston, Las Vegas, JFK, Oakland, Ontario (CA), Orlando, Phoenix, Portland, Reno, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Seattle. It's not unthinkable they'd do Boston from there...

I think this application was just a blanket approval for Open Skies the more I read it and Boston was mentioned since they are allowed to market, have fifth freedoms, or codeshare to Europe from Logan.

I just noticed Boston-Mexico City will be a red-eye westbound starting next month. That's the third time they have changed things. They are doing better that they did in the early aughts load wise but the schedule changing is a head scratcher. The only reason to change the schedule this way is to improve the plane utilization which makes sense.

Boston-Cancun does make the list at #18 One-stop traffic out numbers non-stop by a factor of 2 to 1. Compared to the widely available 2011 numbers O+D has gone up 50% in the past four years. Its definitely not in Jetblue's interest to chase all these passengers but is it something for Southwest or United to consider if they have a spare plane available on Saturday or Sunday. They now can serve the route since openskies is coming soon between US and Mexico.

Cancun growth has been very impressive

2005 = 9,301,240
2015 = 19,596,485

And the growth rate has been accelerating.

Interjet is the airline you want folks. Budget airline offering better service than jetblue.

My prediction is that Boston is going to emerge as a bona-fide, honest-to-goodness flagship hub over the next 5 years or so. If JetBlue can formally link up with one of the Euro low-cost carriers, then Logan is incredibly well-positioned to serve the rapidly emerging two-engine, single aisle, low cost transatlantic market. It'll be what IcelandAir (and now Wow) has always tried to position rekjavik as, but with better organic demand (obviously) and more competitive end-end times. Now if only they can figure out the baggage re-check issue....

Drove by Terminal E yesterday and looks like the expansion work is coming along nicely. Looks like the exterior cladding is all up apart from the areas where the jetways will be.

Does anyone know of a planned opening for this? I've seen November, but not sure if that's accurate. I know BA is planning 380 flights from Feb and I'm assuming an announcement from Emirates won't be too far away. They seem keen to launch 380 service.

Delta has added three destinations from Logan

Daily Nashville starting 11/6 on CRJ-900 regional jet

Weekly Montego Bay Jamaica starting January 2017

Double Daily San Francisco starting June 2017 (smart addition since the city pair was the third most ticketed 1-stop itinerary as noted in a previous post)

Seattle will be doubled in Summer 2017 as well.

Interesting - Nashville went from 0 flights a couple of years ago to now 3 carriers flying it daily.

By adding San Francisco, Delta has rounded out their Boston network nicely.

Meanwhile American has trimmed down a lot of the non-hub flying from Boston. Places like Pittsburgh and Buffalo have seen multiple rounds of cuts over the last year or so.

Apparently 5 of the 6 top ticketed domestic connecting routes that also have non-stop service are out of Boston. If this link was posted before I missed it.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/136...ose-one-stop-flights-despite-jetblue-hub.html

Makes sense. Lots of frequent fliers loyal to an airline, and with Boston's geographic position, there's a lot of 1-stops that aren't actually significantly out of the way to where you want to go.

Plus, while Jetblue is great, a lot of their direct flights aren't frequent enough to fit everyone's schedules.

Double Daily San Francisco starting June 2017 (smart addition since the city pair was the third most ticketed 1-stop itinerary as noted in a previous post)

Not too surprising. Hopefully they will use the 16F (75J?) with B/E Aerospace seats not the clunky recliners. They were last in this market in 2008, and for several years it was also operated with Song metal.

Regarding Delta, their computer outage today is perplexing. One of the largest airlines in the world doesn't have a functioning hot site ready in case of a power outage??? A power outage at one location in Atlanta should not bring down the computer systems of an airline. Makes me worry about how maintenance is conducted at the airline if they can't even get their computer systems right.

Last edited:
Regarding Delta, their computer outage todau is perplexing. One of the largest airlines in the world doesn't have a functioning hot site ready in case of a power outage??? A power outage at one location in Atlanta should not bring down the computer systems of an airline. Makes me worry about how maintenance is conducted at the airline if they can't even get their computer systems right.

TySmith-- Exactly

a few decades ago US Airlines were at the global forefront in all manner of information technology including redundancy and resiliency

There was a time when to get inside AA's Fort Worth data center you had to be careful with your diet -- not only was your iris scanned -- but you were weighed

Now its come to ..... Well someone left the CIO's laptop charger unplugged and the entire Delta Operational IT System went down :(

Eastie to get Piers Park II in exchange for Terminal E expansion

The Eastie Times the "definitive East Boston" site is quoting State Rep Adrian Madaro on "the Deal"
According to Madaro, Massport has agreed to provide permanent funding to the East Boston Foundation in the amount of $500,000. This number could be adjusted based on inflation. The Foundation’s funding was set to expire by 2020, ending two decades of support to community non-profits.

Massport has also agreed to $18 to $19 million to construct the long awaited Piers Park Phase II. This project has been designed and the community has waited nearly two decades for a shovel to be put in the ground. The park will be the mirror image of the award winning adjacent Piers Park on Marginal Street.

Massport has agreed to provide $180,000 for an operating budget for a future senior center. The money will be used to operate and provide programming for a seniors center that will be built by the City of Boston.

Massport will provide an additional 100 homes with soundproofing.

There will also be a direct connection to the Silver Line via the Blue Line at Logan’s MBTA station.

Massport will increase Logan Express seats by 10 to 15 percent to curb the amount of vehicular traffic coming and going to the airport. The Port Authority will also raise the parking fee rates to encourage more use of public transportation.

Eastie will also get a percentage of a ‘car tax’ that will be imposed of vehicles that park at Logan.

“Massport will also fund Hubway Stations in East Boston as well as take part in dialogue with the community on helping to bring a permanent water ferry to the neighborhood,” said Madaro.

If MWAA can pay for DC Metro's Silver Line extension to Dulles and beyond, and MassPort can buy off Eastie with Piers Park (which I endorse), why can't the rest of us posture until Logan gives us a free 60' bus from Haymarket to the ABCE Terminals ("Gold Line"), or, better, a contribution to NSRL?

Yes, there's a federal law that says PFCs must be spent for "airport stuff" but the definition of airport stuff is obviously pretty elastic if it includes Eastie parks and DC Metro.

If MWAA can pay for DC Metro's Silver Line extension to Dulles and beyond, and Logan can buy off Eastie with Piers Park (which I endorse), why can't the rest of us posture until Logan gives us a free 60' bus from Haymarket to the ABCE Terminals ("Gold Line"), or, better, a contribution to NSRL?

Yes, there's a federal law that says PFCs must be spent for "airport stuff" but the definition of airport stuff is obviously pretty elastic if it includes Eastie parks and DC Metro.

I mean, we could. There's nothing stopping us. Eastie residents have leverage here, though.

EDIT: Here's Whigh's link.

http://www.eastietimes.com/2016/08/05/logan-iag-holds-final-meetingmitigation-package-forthcoming/

FURTHER EDIT: The Eastie Times article references the DEIR filed by Massport on July 15th. It's got some new detail, but not much in the way of renderings (as early environmental documents rarely do). Here's the layout:

http://www.massport.com/environment/environmental-reporting/environmental-filings/

264rt3m.png

Last edited:
If MWAA can pay for DC Metro's Silver Line extension to Dulles and beyond, and MassPort can buy off Eastie with Piers Park (which I endorse), why can't the rest of us posture until Logan gives us a free 60' bus from Haymarket to the ABCE Terminals ("Gold Line"), or, better, a contribution to NSRL?

I don't think the analogy to MWAA financing a part of the Silver Line is correct.

The MWAA generates revenue from the Dulles Toll Road, and its bonds in support of the Silver Line extension are financed by the Toll Road. The analogy would be apt if Massport owned the Ted Williams Tunnel.

Back