Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

OAG thread on airliners has some good news.

Boston-Mexico City going daily as of September 1 though it will be daily most of the summer as well.

Boston-Istanbul going from 4 to 5 weekly in off-peak.

OAG thread on airliners has some good news.

Boston-Mexico City going daily as of September 1 though it will be daily most of the summer as well.

What has it been?

Glad to hear it has been successful.

Unfortunately, it is still always significantly, cheaper to fly via Miami (AA) or Houston (UA). Jetlue is cheaper as well, but the 12 hour transfer in Ft Lauderdale only works if you want a beach day.

What has it been?

Glad to hear it has been successful.

Unfortunately, it is still always significantly, cheaper to fly via Miami (AA) or Houston (UA). Jetlue is cheaper as well, but the 12 hour transfer in Ft Lauderdale only works if you want a beach day.

Its been 5-6 weekly depending on time of year. It always seems to be the low fare carrier booking far in advance. Were you looking at flights closer in or during peak times (Christmas, Spring Break etc? )

Mexico City is an extremely underrated destination. Beautiful architecture and it's very affordable. Hell I got a 7 dolor filet mignon when I was there. The subway rides are 20 cents and the Uber rates are about 1/6th what they are here. Plus you can get a nice hotel for 50 bucks a night.

Its been 5-6 weekly depending on time of year. It always seems to be the low fare carrier booking far in advance. Were you looking at flights closer in or during peak times (Christmas, Spring Break etc? )

2-3 weeks in advance

The NY (JFK/EWR) routes have historically had similar average fares to their MIA/FLL counterparts but on a much longer stage length, so overall yields are lower. Obviously NY is a network necessity for many of these carriers, but there is a good reason we have relatively limited capacity and B6 has focused their Caribbean operation in FLL.

The new 2X DL SFO service will be operated as a premium transcon with full DeltaOne onboard service (not just the flat bed seat). Basically this means more substantial and better quality catering in line with long haul international flights, Tumu amenity kits, and Westin Heavenly Bed pillows and duvets. That said there will be no complimentary Medallion upgrades, although fares are in line with B6 Mint.

http://news.delta.com/flights-betwe...es-include-delta-one-cabin-enhanced-amenities

The new 2X DL SFO service will be operated as a premium transcon with full DeltaOne onboard service (not just the flat bed seat). Basically this means more substantial and better quality catering in line with long haul international flights, Tumu amenity kits, and Westin Heavenly Bed pillows and duvets. That said there will be no complimentary Medallion upgrades, although fares are in line with B6 Mint.

http://news.delta.com/flights-betwe...es-include-delta-one-cabin-enhanced-amenities

clearly a response to the success of mint from jetblue. Given how Bos-sea is on deck for mint, i wonder if delta will expand their delta one product there too

^ this is how competition is supposed to work. And this is why we need an airport that is flexible enough (in terms of gate space) for upstarts to come in and challenge the incumbents. Some locals complain about Logan expansion, but I think we can see here a net benefit for Boston (at least in terms of anyone who needs to fly)

Also, I know it's been mentioned previously, but since the milestone is now here, thought I'd point out that British Airways' regularly scheduled A380 service starts tomorrow...first one lands at 1:30pm:

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2017/03/biggest_jet_soon_a_boston_regular

Interesting tidbit at the end of that article...

"Emirates and Lufthansa, which has flights to Germany (Frankfurt and Munich) from Boston, haven’t committed to starting dates for their A380 service to Logan, but Glynn expects them to begin this year."​

^ this is how competition is supposed to work. And this is why we need an airport that is flexible enough (in terms of gate space) for upstarts to come in and challenge the incumbents. Some locals complain about Logan expansion, but I think we can see here a net benefit for Boston (at least in terms of anyone who needs to fly)

It's nice for us in this area that we have an airport that isn't dominated by a single carrier like other places, such as Charlotte and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Logan is a such a big contributor and asset to our local economy that its health should be top priority.

Interesting tidbit at the end of that article...

"Emirates and Lufthansa, which has flights to Germany (Frankfurt and Munich) from Boston, haven’t committed to starting dates for their A380 service to Logan, but Glynn expects them to begin this year."​

I don't believe Lufthansa wants to use A380 service at BOS. They wanted a berth in the expansion for the 747-8, which is just barely a Group VI aircraft (along with the A380).

I don't believe Lufthansa wants to use A380 service at BOS. They wanted a berth in the expansion for the 747-8, which is just barely a Group VI aircraft (along with the A380).

Admittedly despite my handle I don't have any first hand knowledge on LH and their network plans, but IMO we could see a seasonal rotation of MIAs A380 frame here in the summers going forward. LH generally turns their summer/winter long haul schedule in late March/late October, so this year won't be a go. They could perhaps ramp LH 423 up to the 380 and run the later seasonal LH 421 as a 333 or future A350/777X as the A340s and 744s roll out of the fleet.

Admittedly despite my handle I don't have any first hand knowledge on LH and their network plans, but IMO we could see a seasonal rotation of MIAs A380 frame here in the summers going forward. LH generally turns their summer/winter long haul schedule in late March/late October, so this year won't be a go. They could perhaps ramp LH 423 up to the 380 and run the later seasonal LH 421 as a 333 or future A350/777X as the A340s and 744s roll out of the fleet.

In the Terminal E Group VI Expansion documents, Lufthansa was listed as the 747-8.

kfV4FId.png

Based on the 2011 numbers, Barcelona would be the top unserved O&D international destination from boston now. Also I bet it would work year round.

Back