Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I just transit CDG on the way to places like Angola, Mozambique, and Ethiopia, so I don't get to spend much time stompin' the Champs and drinking champagne out of showgirls' slippers. ;)

With apologies to Henny Youngman: Take my career.. please.

Geez...If you mind me asking, what do you do?

Erik ---- Massport has plans to expand Terminal E in the direction of the aircraft parking area and hanger

I doubt that anything will happen until the ConRAC is completed -- but Terminal E will eventually grow 2 or 3 high capacity multi-level gates which would be ideal for Emirates 777-300 ER or even an occasional Big Airbus for charters or on an emergency basis

Really? I didn't know Massport have expansion plans for the Terminal E. Would they renovate the whole terminal? Would this provide new dining options? New lounges for the airlines? If they could only connect the terminals without having to leave the post-check-point, terminal space, they would have a great layout.

There's also the slightly more pressing need to cobble together some space for the merged United and Continental.

Erik ---- Massport has plans to expand Terminal E in the direction of the aircraft parking area and hanger

I'll believe it when I see it. A Terminal E expansion has been in the works since "Logan 2000".

However, I see Massport's chance with American Airlines's bankruptcy. Given the fact that Boston is now really nothing more than a spoke for AA, I think it's highly likely that they'll close down their maintenance base, or at least move it to a smaller facility. They simply have no reason for that large hangar anymore, given that with the exception of London all their flights are to their hubs. When that happens, I see Massport taking that area for expansion of Terminal E. However, given that international service has largely not expanded in recent years, some of the pressure is off now that Northwest is out of E which freed up a bit of space. In the mid-2000s, it was a daily juggle how to fit the flights in, especially since Massport inanely follows a first-come, first-served system for gate allocation.

And yes, A was originally planned to be an international facility. However, three things have happened since then:

1) The FIS facilities were scrapped from the design. Delta had plans for a small international network from Boston but this was scrapped during their bankruptcy. This was the final nail in the coffin for FIS facilities. This would require a pricey reconfiguration of the terminal to accommodate it. No international facilities are even roughed-in for eventual conversion.

2) Delta and Massport reconfigured the gates for a domestic operation. So this would require either a change in the configuration of gates or the ability to run the operation with several gates out of commission while widebodies sit on stand.

3) Delta no longer controls the terminal. Delta, during its bankruptcy in the mid-2000s, defaulted on its bond payments to Massport and Massport gained control of the terminal from Delta. While it looks likely that the combined United/Continental will be in Terminal B, it's in no way certain that Delta will gain back the gates that Continental currently occupies. If Delta doesn't get that space back, even if they were to get an FIS facility, Delta cannot run its domestic schedule with several of the gates blocked out by Air France, Alitalia and Delta's Amsterdam and London flights. For instance, a Delta A330 and the Air France 747 would at least remove an additional adjacent gate out of use and would probably restrict the size of the aircraft on the other adjacent gate. Certainly, they have a say in the terminal, but Massport will act in their own best interests and not that of Delta/

1) The FIS facilities were scrapped from the design. Delta had plans for a small international network from Boston but this was scrapped during their bankruptcy. This was the final nail in the coffin for FIS facilities. This would require a pricey reconfiguration of the terminal to accommodate it. No international facilities are even roughed-in for eventual conversion.

Not to be contrary, but the dates don't mesh with the above, Terminal A opened in early Spring of 2005 and later that fall Delta declared bankruptcy. Massport nixed the idea since they wanted ALL international arrivals to use Terminal A. In any case, it seems that Massport seems just so shortsighted! Not connecting ALL the terminals with the moving walkways is just so half-assed, especially not connecting Terminal C to Terminal E! Heck, all the terminals should have been connected with the walkways! Makes it so difficult to make international connections when one is changing planes/airlines from different terminals which is why Delta had the brilliant idea to incooperate all it's international and domestic flights in one terminal which would have worked like a charm.

Well the 2011 numbers are in. Over 28.9 million passengers flew through Logan last year. Quite an impressive finish for the airport. International passengers finished at over 3.9 million as well. Massport's website has the full breakdown.

Not surprisingly Delta's pulling the chain on BOS-CDG. They're also remaining at one daily on BOS-LHR, whereas last summer it was a twice-daily route, I can't see that lasting beyond next year either. Delta has to know other than the shuttle and flights to their hubs and Amsterdam, they have no future here. I think American has also finally canned the CDG route after years of doubt as to its future.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5382515/

Not surprisingly Delta's pulling the chain on BOS-CDG. They're also remaining at one daily on BOS-LHR, whereas last summer it was a twice-daily route, I can't see that lasting beyond next year either. Delta has to know other than the shuttle and flights to their hubs and Amsterdam, they have no future here. I think American has also finally canned the CDG route after years of doubt as to its future.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5382515/

I think the notion of Delta taking over BOS-CDG for AF has gone out the window. Delta has not had the best success on their London routes from acquired BA/AA slots. Miami has done decent and at 1 daily flight, the Boston route should perform better. There's a lot of competition on Boston-London, especially given the daylight flights.

I would have assumed more demand for travel to Paris, non?

The demand is undoubtedly there, but it's disproportionately budget conscious tourists flying heavily discounted coach fares relative to business class and even full-fare/short notice coach tickets.

Delta exiting BOS-CDG isn't really that big of a loss, I think it was a 757 daily? Any premium traffic in the Paris market went on Air France anyway with its premium product. Similarly, passengers tend to prefer British Airways to American on the London route.

There's a reason why American carriers have never been able to gain a lot of traction in the BOS-Europe market: European carriers are aplenty and offer a much better product.

Delta exiting BOS-CDG isn't really that big of a loss, I think it was a 757 daily? Any premium traffic in the Paris market went on Air France anyway with its premium product. Similarly, passengers tend to prefer British Airways to American on the London route.

There's a reason why American carriers have never been able to gain a lot of traction in the BOS-Europe market: European carriers are aplenty and offer a much better product.

There needs to be a solid domestic hub on the American end to make it viable for an American carrier to offer Trans-Atlantic service. Boston is a massive market to Europe, but we do not have a true hub at Logan. So the European carriers grab the bulk of the traffic thanks to the hubs on their end. With joint ventures, American carriers already have service to Europe without having to use their own metal.

Also, Logan is not the best airport to connect through.

Yup, the european airlines are superior in every way. Only reason to fly an american line is price.

Back