Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

The individual markets are quite a bit smaller though. Boston-London for example was around 510,000 in 2011, meaning over half of the traffic was connecting elsewhere at Heathrow.

Also there's a small amount connecting in Boston to London as well. Last year on a Chicago-Boston on AA, there were 5 passengers (on a full 737) connecting to the former 8PM flight to London. We had to let them off the plane first due to delays that's how I knew.

Also there's a small amount connecting in Boston to London as well. Last year on a Chicago-Boston on AA, there were 5 passengers (on a full 737) connecting to the former 8PM flight to London. We had to let them off the plane first due to delays that's how I knew.

Of course. Not a huge share of those traveling but there are some who connect at Boston elsewhere within the US. I would expect such passengers represent a higher percentage of the total with Lufthansa and Aer Lingus passengers transferring to JetBlue and Skyteam passengers to Delta though.

http://www.boston.com/businessupdat...cy-vehicles/g1UKZySauEqQi1OKI9EwYL/story.html

$4 million approved to design the post security connection between E and C. That sounds a bit high given the scope of work, but perhaps I don't know all the fine details of design and the associated costs.

Also Massachusetts Port Authority on Thursday approved a partial $4 million budget for signs announcing buses that will take passengers to the Blue Line MBTA station, Logan Express satellite parking lots, and the new rental car facility opening in the fall.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that MassPort didn't build some sort of monorail/people-mover between the terminals and the new, rental-car facility!! Granted it would have been expensive but hell, the technology has been there for years!

Frankly, I'm disappointed that MassPort didn't build some sort of monorail/people-mover between the terminals and the new, rental-car facility!! Granted it would have been expensive but hell, the technology has been there for years!
Mixing additional modes (and levels and the "under/over/up/down" flows to reach them all with elevators/escalators) is really expensive compared to the fairly-elegant practice of the frequent consolidated shuttle bus. Besides renting a car in Boston is already expensive enough without having to layer on a peoplemover's costs.

http://www.boston.com/businessupdat...cy-vehicles/g1UKZySauEqQi1OKI9EwYL/story.html

$4 million approved to design the post security connection between E and C. That sounds a bit high given the scope of work, but perhaps I don't know all the fine details of design and the associated costs.

There's this line in the article:

"Massport is eventually planning to connect all the terminals behind security."

If this happens, maybe Logan can promote itself more as a transit point for Europe to South America, esp. if they can get rid off stupid need to go through US customs for international transit passengers.

There's this line in the article:

"Massport is eventually planning to connect all the terminals behind security."

If this happens, maybe Logan can promote itself more as a transit point for Europe to South America, esp. if they can get rid off stupid need to go through US customs for international transit passengers.

Those would be wasted marketing dollars. The physical location of BOS is horrifically far out of the way for Europe-South America traffic flows.

The project now includes connectors on both sides. In addition to the C-E connector, gates 40-42 will be tied in to the rest of the terminal eliminating the separate checkpoint. It does still seem very high for design work, especially as they already have preliminary drawings and aren't starting completely from scratch.

http://www.massport.com/doing-busin...ts/L1255-D1 Terminal C Connectors Overall.pdf

Also planned is a connection between A and B sometime in 2016-2017. It should be interesting to see how that is accomplished without cutting into the fairly limited aircraft gate space there.

http://www.massport.com/doing-business/_layouts/CapitalPrograms/detail.aspx?proj=L1313

Those would be wasted marketing dollars. The physical location of BOS is horrifically far out of the way for Europe-South America traffic flows.

Distance-wise it could work for some Central American and Western Caribbean. You could also make a case for Colombia too. Mapping these trips on gcmap.com usually only add 300-600 miles with a BOS connection.

However, JFK and MIA can pretty much already offer these connections and not many BOS flights to the area are timed to connect to European flights since they tend to leave BOS between 8am and 10am.

It's also not as if South America is completely cut off from Europe. Between the South American carriers, Iberia, TAP, and to a lesser degree Lufthansa, BA and Air France one can get from just about anywhere in South America to Europe with one stop, and without the hassle of transiting the US, which most international travelers avoid like the plague.

It's also not as if South America is completely cut off from Europe. Between the South American carriers, Iberia, TAP, and to a lesser degree Lufthansa, BA and Air France one can get from just about anywhere in South America to Europe with one stop, and without the hassle of transiting the US, which most international travelers avoid like the plague.

One stop? I flew Paris - Sao Paulo non stop a decade ago.

And yeah, why would any foreigner want to stop by the USA and be forced to deal with the TSA and other assorted bureaucratic nonsense?

One of the isues is that there is no notion of international transit travelers in the US. I can see a number of airports doing good side business if we did.

One stop? I flew Paris - Sao Paulo non stop a decade ago.

One stop, if not non-stop. Figured that was assumed.

One of the isues is that there is no notion of international transit travelers in the US. I can see a number of airports doing good side business if we did.

There are international transit travelers passing through the US but there aren't many of them. Most would rather fly non-stop or connect through a European or South American hub and for those who are willing to transit a US hub, there are already established operations at Miami, Kennedy, Houston, Atlanta and Dallas, to name a few. It might seem like a good excuse for an airport authority to spend money, but no airline is going to see this as a viable model. This would be akin to building up Halifax with the expectation that it's going to function as a connecting point between the east coast of the United States and Europe because it happens to fall roughly on the track between the two.

Well, connecting terminals behind security checkpoint is a good thing for travelers anyway.

What I was saying is that it would be a good thing if feds also allowed for international transit passengers in a true sense of the word "transit" as it is in the most of civilized world - when you don't go through security and customs at point of transit.

Then more US airports will see that business, and even Logan might get some.

Well, connecting terminals behind security checkpoint is a good thing for travelers anyway.

I doubt this is about connecting/transit passengers, actually...I think these are more likely to be used to allow airlines more flexibility in which gates they use and which airline alliance they partner with without having to reconfigure or move their ticket counters. In the end, passengers will walk farther to get to their gates for their BOS-nonstop flights. It also helps to consolidate security checkpoints.

the C-E connector and the C-40s-B connector seem mostly designed to allow JetBlue to take over many gates without having to move from C, and to give Southwest E-C space so it can grow without moving from E.

In a similar way, I'm sure United is looking for a way to have one checkin that serves both its EWR/IAH/CLE flights and its ORD/IAD/etc flights.

If it were easy to move airlines (which it isn't) a grand swap that moved JetBlue to terminal A and Southwest to C or A2, and Delta or AA or UA to E (for "real" international connections) that would have worked better..

I doubt this is about connecting/transit passengers, actually...I think these are more likely to be used to allow airlines more flexibility in which gates they use and which airline alliance they partner with without having to reconfigure or move their ticket counters. In the end, passengers will walk farther to get to their gates for their BOS-nonstop flights. It also helps to consolidate security checkpoints.

the C-E connector and the C-40s-B connector seem mostly designed to allow JetBlue to take over many gates without having to move from C, and to give Southwest E-C space so it can grow without moving from E.

In a similar way, I'm sure United is looking for a way to have one checkin that serves both its EWR/IAH/CLE flights and its ORD/IAD/etc flights.

If it were easy to move airlines (which it isn't) a grand swap that moved JetBlue to terminal A and Southwest to C or A2, and Delta or AA or UA to E (for "real" international connections) that would have worked better..

Absolutely right. The idea is to build a continuous gate system so that mergers and natural growth don't lead to split operations and blocks of underused gates at the margins. Right now, it's like gate space Tetris.

As I recall, the final arrangement will be something like Southwest in E, JetBlue in C, American, United and Air Canada) in B (with US part of American) and Virgin America, Delta and Spirit, along with whatever other smaller carriers start service in A.

Also, I'm pretty sure that "real" international connections in Boston involve JetBlue at this point. I don't think American or United is transiting many passengers through to BA or Lufthansa given that every legacy now has a NYC hub.

Unfortunate given the seemingly ever-growing ties between Boston and Spain, but certainly justified given how terrible everything is over there.

A lot of the premium Oneworld BOS-MAD traffic flows through LHR anyway so not necessarily the end of the world from an alliance perspective.

Back