Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

With Turkish having announced I wouldn't be surprised to see Emirates hold off another few years. The 350 is probably better-sized for a split market anyways.

BOS-UK-DXB would be fairly pointless. The talk I've heard on Boston-Dubai calls for an initial 777-200LR with a possible upgrade to 777-300ER if loads/yields justify it.

I don't think they would get any incentives either since it would not be non-stop to Middle East.

Manchester's on MassPort's wishlist but I doubt they'd bend over backwards for it.

With Turkish having announced I wouldn't be surprised to see Emirates hold off another few years. The 350 is probably better-sized for a split market anyways.

I don't think Emirates is the one airline that really isn't concern about "competition."

I think the Boston-Manchester flights ran something like 7 months out of the year and the other 5 months they ran down to Miami.

Either way, I don't see how a Boston-UK-Dubai flight will be attractive over a non-stop, or the many one stop connections via Europe.

Manchester?!? I'm trying to find the logic in a non-stop Manchester (UK)-Boston route.

It's a reasonably good-sized market but upon looking at the numbers, it's quite a bit smaller than I had thought. I had figured 45,000-50,000 per year but it's only about 30,000 and trending downward. Probably hugely seasonal as well.

Manchester's on MassPort's wishlist but I doubt they'd bend over backwards for it.

The feeling is mutual.

http://www.therouteshop.com/manchester-airport/

It's a reasonably good-sized market but upon looking at the numbers, it's quite a bit smaller than I had thought. I had figured 45,000-50,000 per year but it's only about 30,000 and trending downward. Probably hugely seasonal as well.

There are claims in the link above that their is leakage to London.

Nice to see it go official and they're sending the 330-300.

On Logan's Facebook page someone commented asking about a flight to Brazil and the response was they're working on getting a flight down there.

The demand is there, from what I have heard the yields are not, which is the main reason why there aren't any non-stop flights.

Plus you have to figure there's plenty of one-stop options via Miami, Atlanta and JFK.

Just read an article on CBS Boston's website about the new Istanbul service and it said Massport is targeting 2015 for China service. Will be interesting to see if that pans out.

The numbers are also out for June. Through the first 6 months of the year 14,419,947 passengers have flown through Logan which represents a 1.1% increase over the first 6 months of 2012.

2,126,824 international passengers thus far which is up by 4.4% over the same period in 2012.

Just read an article on CBS Boston's website about the new Istanbul service and it said Massport is targeting 2015 for China service. Will be interesting to see if that pans out.

The numbers are also out for June. Through the first 6 months of the year 14,419,947 passengers have flown through Logan which represents a 1.1% increase over the first 6 months of 2012.

2,126,824 international passengers thus far which is up by 4.4% over the same period in 2012.

95% Load factor on Boston-Tokyo - Japan Airlines did a good job rebounding from the 787 issues.

Is there a big business base between Boston/New England and Manchester?

Any idea on how much of it is O&D and how much is connecting into Tokyo?

No -the only numbers we get from Massport are the number of passengers and number of flights.

That specific data you ask for is extremely valuable. Airlines, Airports and Marketing Consultants pay a pretty penny for that information. Fortunately for us aviation enthusiasts, the Brookings report leaked some of the 2011 O&D international traffic information for free.

Was that the same article that said to expect an announcement soon re: El Al service from Logan to Tel Aviv? I was surprised to read that. Let me see if I can find it....

Edit: Here is the article I was referring to. Might be behind the pay wall but it says:

"Istanbul will be Logan’s 34th international destination, following the launch of Copa Airlines’ flight to Panama this month, and Japan Airlines’ service to Tokyo last year. El Al Israel Airlines is expected to soon launch direct service to Tel Aviv, and a route to China is in the works." http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...gan-airport/7hsrfIqvVIPKb360Ovn5mL/story.html

From behind the paywall,
"The 10½-hour flight, which will be offered five days a week at first and then move to daily service in June, will be on a twin-aisle, 289-seat Airbus A330-300."

Was that the same article that said to expect an announcement soon re: El Al service from Logan to Tel Aviv? I was surprised to read that. Let me see if I can find it....

Edit: Here is the article I was referring to. Might be behind the pay wall but it says:

"Istanbul will be Logan’s 34th international destination, following the launch of Copa Airlines’ flight to Panama this month, and Japan Airlines’ service to Tokyo last year. El Al Israel Airlines is expected to soon launch direct service to Tel Aviv, and a route to China is in the works." http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...gan-airport/7hsrfIqvVIPKb360Ovn5mL/story.html

Yeah... I doubt that Tel Aviv will happen. I've always been told that while the market exists easily to support the flight, it isn't worth it for El Al when people looking to go to Israel can drive to NYC or jump down there on a partner airline. This has been trapped in "about to announce it" purgatory since the day they stopped service. Same with the China flight, of course.

The game changer on that might be the easy connection through IST, though. You can bet that that's a big part of Turkish's motivation for this route.

Back