Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Is there a big business base between Boston/New England and Manchester?

No and with my over-estimation on the market size, I don't see much viability in Manchester aside from a seasonal 757(as American had).

Was that the same article that said to expect an announcement soon re: El Al service from Logan to Tel Aviv? I was surprised to read that. Let me see if I can find it....

Edit: Here is the article I was referring to. Might be behind the pay wall but it says:

"Istanbul will be Logan’s 34th international destination, following the launch of Copa Airlines’ flight to Panama this month, and Japan Airlines’ service to Tokyo last year. El Al Israel Airlines is expected to soon launch direct service to Tel Aviv, and a route to China is in the works." http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...gan-airport/7hsrfIqvVIPKb360Ovn5mL/story.html

With larger markets like Miami and San Francisco remaining without service to Tel Aviv, they must be getting a hefty incentive deal.

Yeah... I doubt that Tel Aviv will happen. I've always been told that while the market exists easily to support the flight, it isn't worth it for El Al when people looking to go to Israel can drive to NYC or jump down there on a partner airline. This has been trapped in "about to announce it" purgatory since the day they stopped service. Same with the China flight, of course.

Don't discount the European connections too. I personally would never drive to JFK except if I was saving thousands but with JetBlue service I'd be a bit creative with an overnight in NYC if needed.

Also, Hainan had their hands tied with the 787 delays (both by Boeing and their own government delaying deliveries of the plane).

No and with my over-estimation on the market size, I don't see much viability in Manchester aside from a seasonal 757(as American had).

With larger markets like Miami and San Francisco remaining without service to Tel Aviv, they must be getting a hefty incentive deal.

BOS is the shortest route out of the three and their fleet isn't the greatest in terms of efficiency. I'm not a big fan of the route since all it offers is a non-stop to one destination but I will not be surprised if they do a 4x weekly service. Many local groups have been lobbying for this to start for the past 2 years. I do wonder if they would tag-on Miami or Chicago. They may need a lot of help and coordination with either American or JetBlue as well.

I think AA is going to jump in on Miami-Tel Aviv once the merger is finalized and their legal team can tackle the mess in Israel they inherited from TWA.

San Francisco may be too far away (over 7000 miles) - better to send the Bay area traffic through LA

A non-stop to Tel Aviv would be great, but I have to wonder how likely it is to happen, at least in the next few years. Or, where the Globe heard that El Al is going to be adding flights to Boston.

To some extent BOS international flights depend on a domestic feeder airline. I hope Jetblue can manage it. Company profits were down last quarter and the security side walkway between C and E is not done yet.

San Francisco may be too far away (over 7000 miles) - better to send the Bay area traffic through LA

The tech-based business traffic between the Bay Area and Tel Aviv/Israel has to be huge. Strange they don't have a non-stop flight yet, though Israel is a bit more complicated than other market to fly in and out of.

The tech-based business traffic between the Bay Area and Tel Aviv/Israel has to be huge. Strange they don't have a non-stop flight yet, though Israel is a bit more complicated than other market to fly in and out of.

Its 100 PDEW. This would be a great 787 route for United since San Fran is their hub.

Jetblue is adding business class to NYC-LA and NYC-Sf

Jetblue is adding business class to NYC-LA and NYC-Sf
That's a little scary from a fleet-consistency standpoint, but with Delta and United going to lie-flat beds, JetBlue was in danger of losing its preference among infrequent business travelers.

I saw a video of the new interiors on the 321s they're getting. They look very nice and should be able to compete with United (sans perhaps their PS service) and Delta.

JetBlue is going to really turn the heat up on America, United and Delta when they introduce this on the Boston-Los Angeles and San Francisco runs.

I saw a video of the new interiors on the 321s they're getting. They look very nice and should be able to compete with United (sans perhaps their PS service) and Delta.

JetBlue is going to really turn the heat up on America, United and Delta when they introduce this on the Boston-Los Angeles and San Francisco runs.

Don't forget Virgin America too!

Except for the fact that the seats arent angled, so the window person is 100% trapped if the aisle seat is in flat mode.

Followed by BOS-LAX/SFO

I thought it was just starting with the NYC-California routes before they decide any future roll-outs. Does the lack of a lounge network hurt JetBlue?

Also, will these seats have meals?

Don't forget Virgin America too!

I think VA is going to have a hard time competing on the basis of route networks and loyalty to one airline through their frequent flyer programs, frequencies, and route network.

I thought it was just starting with the NYC-California routes before they decide any future roll-outs. Does the lack of a lounge network hurt JetBlue?

I'm pretty sure that Boston and possibly Fort Lauderdale are in the cards after New York. I have no doubt that offering a premium service on a few key routes will be a success but in terms of attracting high value frequent flyers they have a lot going against them besides just the lack of a lounge; they don't offer anything remotely resembling the bundle of perks that one would gain access to with a legacy carrier and from what I can tell, nor is it in line with their company ethos to outwardly differentiate between high value and low value customers.

I'm pretty sure that Boston and possibly Fort Lauderdale are in the cards after New York. I have no doubt that offering a premium service on a few key routes will be a success but in terms of attracting high value frequent flyers they have a lot going against them besides just the lack of a lounge; they don't offer anything remotely resembling the bundle of perks that one would gain access to with a legacy carrier and from what I can tell, nor is it in line with their company ethos to outwardly differentiate between high value and low value customers.

Oh, I agree. I thought the routes were just announced for JFK-SF/LA for right now. Boston-SF/LA seems like would be the next expansion step, if the JFK routes go well. I do wonder if they will introduce it on flights like BOS-Seattle, BOS-Las Vegas over the long term. But, I guess it's about seeing how well the first phases go.

The pricing strategy will be key. They plan on pricing these seats what what will be around the first class of the legacy carriers' corporate discount, and that could really open up a whole new market for them. JetBlue is in a tough position from where they stand in the market, they aren't a "low-cost, no-frills" carrier, but they aren't a full service service either.

^You're right. JetBlue is not low cost, its often the same if not a little more expensive. I pay a bit of the premium for the TV and they fly to many of the places i need to go, but as new planes roll out on legacy carriers, it will be interesting to see what they do.

Plus, when shit hits the fan on JetBlue, they dont have the planes and flight plans to fix it and i and others i know have had to wait it out for quite a while.

Back